The Great Ferret Alliance

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Great Ferret Alliance

Postby Transkitty » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:50 pm

I feel so bad for Sony. He is utterly terrified of the vacuum cleaner, to the point that I am worried that he is going to end up hurting himself in his panic. I don't know what to do for my poor fuzzbutt.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Bumping with an update! We figured out why Sega doesn't vare about the vacuum or hairdryer or really any loud noises.

My fuzzbutt is at least partially deaf! I believe he is mostly deaf, as he only responds to very high pitched sounds. Anything else gets no reaction.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:08 pm

This thread is turning into a wasteland Dx

Because of a choking incident with Sega tonight, I figured I'd post here with some ferret first aid. That is a PDF file, so your computer may try to download it, just so you know!

Don't worry, Sega is ok! I managed to clear his airway and he's back to running around and playing as normal.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby madras » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:58 am

I'm glad he's okay!
Avatar Credit: Lines by usamagnol, color your own here!

madras

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 pm

So we snagged a cat tree that was steeply discounted, and Sony just had to check it out!
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:25 am

I found the perfect thing to use as a ferret barrier! It's very sturdy and it's working better than the gate we were previously using. They can't move it or climb under it and there's no way they're going through it.

The only issue I found was the first time I set it up. I pinched my stomach for less than 5 seconds and it left a pretty nasty bruise.

Editing to add that Sony and Sega both love eggs! My roommate, Saracirce, dropped an egg on the floor last time she was baking. Out of curiosity we put the ferrets down in front of it and they willingly tried it! Then we noticed yesterday that Sega especially is much softer than he normally is, so I gave them another egg for Christmas this morning. They ate the entire thing and then Sega tried to throw the bowl across the cage to get me to refill it!

Their kitty sisters really enjoyed it too, except for Naya. She wouldn't touch it.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kallisto Moon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:06 am

I am getting my first ferrets in late febuary. I am so excited, I have already done loads of research, and I just adore them. Don't worry about me not knowing about animals, I have a 17 year old cat and just lost two 25 year old cats (sisters). I am so excited, I have always wanted a ferret just never had the funds to get one!

I am going through my local classifieds for the next few weeks to find my new baby! I want one that is at least a year old, or two, but not any older than that. My sister is getting one as well, so they will be roomates! I know ferrets do better in pairs, so we are trying to find two that get along, but if worst comes to worst, we will just buy two seperate ferrets.

I hate how expensive the ferret itself is in my area, $189 just for the ferret, no cage, no food, no bedding. This is why I have to find one that someone doesn't want anymore.

I have already picked out a name x3 I want to name mine Pancake regardless of gender. I already have vitamins, supplements, and shampoo for it. (I got shampoo to wash it a few days after I get it, some pets I have gotten from these homes have never had baths, and need them really bad). I don't wash my animals often, but you know they need it. Especially older cats, their fur gets so greasy, you have to strip that top layer of grease so they can be comfortable.

The ferrets will be living in my ventilated garage, for a while. It is heated, and has plenty of air, so I am not worried about it. It is only short term anyway, just until I can ferret-proof my living room for them. (my cats love the garage, they have a cat door and freely go out there often just to sleep).

I am wanting to feed my ferrets and cats the same food, but my cats hate Taste of the Wild, but they love Blue Buffalo. Can ferrets have Blue Buffalo? My cat is allergic to grains, so I don't have worries about my ferrets eating grains since I am careful.

I am also afraid to feed a raw diet, since I am sometimes clueless with those types of things. I would definatley loose a ferret from it.
DARKEST
NIGHTS
xImage
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
THE!THE!THE!

Many are the stars I see
but in my eye
no star like thee
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
Kallisto Moon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:32 am

@Birman
What about your cage if the ferrets dont come with one not everyone is willing to part with a ferret plus everything for cheap.
I've seen ferrets with everything go to the 300 before unless the ferret has underlying courses to be got rid such as biting but still doesn't have to come with the cage unless it not suitable for long term use.

Ferrets dont really need a bath unless there caked in something or your washing out the natural oils in the coat.

Also why not ferret proof before you get the ferret that way they don't need keeping in garage were they could be potential of the cats being injured by the ferrets or the cats injuring the ferrets when there is noone supervising them.

CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kallisto Moon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:13 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:

@Birman
What about your cage if the ferrets dont come with one not everyone is willing to part with a ferret plus everything for cheap.
I've seen ferrets with everything go to the 300 before unless the ferret has underlying courses to be got rid such as biting but still doesn't have to come with the cage unless it not suitable for long term use.

Ferrets dont really need a bath unless there caked in something or your washing out the natural oils in the coat.

Also why not ferret proof before you get the ferret that way they don't need keeping in garage were they could be potential of the cats being injured by the ferrets or the cats injuring the ferrets when there is noone supervising them.

The cage comes with them most of the time! Plus most of the supplies, especially from my classifieds. The ferrets would be in the cage, and I don't think the cats would bother them. My birman is 17, deaf, and partially blind.

Some of the animals I have bought have had too much oils on their fur, causing them to look really greasy and unclean. I know it is stripping the oils, but all animals could use it once in awhile.

I am thinking of a ferret I just found on my classifieds. It comes with a large, three level cage, with hammocks, beds, lock-on bowls (the only kind I want to keep a cleaner enviroment), side of the cage pans, more vitamins, toys, food (not very much, just enough to get by for a couple of days, and some of the litter he has been using (wood-stove pellets I think she called it, something like that). It is a gib, and it looks like he is sable. (not very good at ferret coats). I am seriously considering this one, the ferret is 1 year and 6 months old, and it is cute! This is what the seller has said so far, and they have sent me a few photos.
I have to wait to ferret proof the house, since part of my living room is being re-done. Also I don't have a problem with them being in the garage for a short period of time. It is heated, ventilated, and is comfortable. I have it carpeted, (I don't keep my car in it, I keep that in the car-port). The garage is where my cat(s) lives. The only cat that ever sticks around inside the house is my birman, he loves the garage though. My other cat is a three year old black cat, who enjoys the nearby forest, and only comes home briefly for munchies x3. He spends the night in his cat house out-back, because it's his 'safe-place', and he prefers it. (its heated, shingled, and has the best bed in it (I would sleep in it if I could haha).
Since I work at home, the only time the ferrets wouldn't be supervised is while I am sleeping. The would be in the house running about for the day, and in the garage at night (in their cage). I have done this with other animals, like my sisters gerbils she had awhile ago.

All togeter the ferret, cage, and supplies are $150. She is getting rid of him since she has to go to college soon.

I forgot to mention, I have a little chihuahua, who has met two of my friends ferrets before. He loves them, so he has to like the ferret for me to choose it. He could be considered a tea-cup chihuahua, he weights 3 lbs 6 ounces.
He plays with my friends ferrets, and he is super careful and cautious. He likes how rambunctious they are :3.

Here is my question, since my friends ferrets are older (like three) than the one I am thinking about, do younger ferrets tend to bite more in play? Should I worry about my chihuahua when they are playing? Also, do not worry about my chihuahua hurting them, he is not the stereotypical chihuahua at all, he is sweet, gentle, and kind. He has never bitten other animals or humans in his lifetime (even as a little rambunctious pup). The only he would do, is steal all the ferrets toys for himself (he is a wee bit of a hoarder haha).
DARKEST
NIGHTS
xImage
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
THE!THE!THE!

Many are the stars I see
but in my eye
no star like thee
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
Kallisto Moon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:54 am

The only reason you should bathe a ferret is if they are absolutely filthy, or they get something on them that can hurt them. Bathing ferrets strips their skin and coat of their natural, protective oils and will make them produce more. This will make them appear greasier than they were before you bathed them, and will actually make them smell worse!

As for food, ferrets need a high quality diet just like cats do. High quality cat foods are alright as long as they don't have peas in them since peas are linked to bladder stones in ferrets, which can be fatal. My ferrets and cats all eat Orijen, but I know the cost can be prohibitive for others to feed that. I've also fed my ferrets Wellness (the blue bag). Make sure you're feeding them cat food and not dog food because ferrets need taurine just like cats do! I myself would not feed Blue Buffalo because they have been caught lying about what is actually in their food and that puts me off of them.

I got my two ferrets, their ferret nation cage, their hammocks, bowls, food and water bowls for $250. Their cage alone is worth that, so I'm pretty happy with it! I also have a savings account set aside specifically for them, because ferrets are expensive. A single vet emergency can cost upwards of $1500 with these guys! Also make sure you have a vet that will treat ferrets! They are exotics pets, so this may be difficult for you.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that in the US, most ferrets come from Marshalls. Marshalls is a ferret mill that alters and descents their ferrets, which means all of their ferrets will get adrenal disease at some points in their lives. Are you prepared for that? Ferrets are also prone to Lymphoma, Insulinoma and heart problems. Basically, if you haven't already I strongly recommend opening a savings account and setting aside as much as you can just in case!

As for your biting question, it really depends on the ferret and the person who had them. My two are both less than two years old, and are not biters at all. Sony does tend to get over excited when she is playing with the cats though. So you may find that your ferrets bite a little too hard for your dog to handle, but don't worry! Ferrets are incredibly intelligent and can be trained not to do things, although you will need patience and persistence to be successful with them.

And just for fun, have some photos of my babes and their set up! If quoting, please snip the photos!
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me