I used to feed my doggy poison. :D

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: I used to feed my doggy poison. :D

Postby Soruc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 pm

When I first got my Black lab he was on Purina Puppy Chow. Yuck. Then we switched to From large breed puppy chow. Not as bad, but still pretty bad. We switched to Royal Canin, which would fit in the "Not as horrible" category. Then we switched to Taste of the Wild canine fowl formula, and he's been much healthier. No more dandruff!
"Why do you look so sad?" "I'm thinking about the economy"

Soruc

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pineappleez » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

I feed my dog, Lily, a small-medium cockerspaniel mutt, currently, Beneful Healthy Weight, due to her old chubbiness issues. She lost quite a bit of weight, but hey! You seemed way more informed than me, so tell me. She is a healthy weight, with the nastiest teeth you have ever seen, my poor darling, and a decent small-medium size, with a dull, medium length coat that lacks shine and sleekness. So? What do you think she should be fed? What are her best options?

Hm. Sneaky food makers! They hide the ingredients! Can't seem to find them. But it says listed that there are mainly peas and rice. At least not wheat? (Hopeful glance around?)

Thanks for telling me and making me aware of my pup's health and what poisons I am giving to her.

*Shudder*

I feel terrible!

Got to go, for my sister has just placed a ferret on my head.
I've only just returned to CS after a few years of absence. If I seem lost, or a tad noobish, please excuse this behavior. Thank you and have a pleasant afternoon, you sexy babe. ❤

~ Piney
Pineappleez

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soruc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Thundercat5 wrote:
I feed my dog, Lily, a small-medium cockerspaniel mutt, currently, Beneful Healthy Weight, due to her old chubbiness issues. She lost quite a bit of weight, but hey! You seemed way more informed than me, so tell me. She is a healthy weight, with the nastiest teeth you have ever seen, my poor darling, and a decent small-medium size, with a dull, medium length coat that lacks shine and sleekness. So? What do you think she should be fed? What are her best options?

Hm. Sneaky food makers! They hide the ingredients! Can't seem to find them. But it says listed that there are mainly peas and rice. At least not wheat? (Hopeful glance around?)

Thanks for telling me and making me aware of my pup's health and what poisons I am giving to her.

*Shudder*

I feel terrible!

Got to go, for my sister has just placed a ferret on my head.

Something like Wellness Core Reduced fat would be good if you want to stick with weight loss. It's grainless, and has good quality ingredients.
"Why do you look so sad?" "I'm thinking about the economy"

Soruc

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby goldh31 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:41 pm

I used to feed my dog IAMs but he wouldn't eat it unless he was starving. He was eating 1/2- 1 meal a day. I switched him to Fromm's Adult Gold Kibble(http://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/adult-gold). He eats two meals a day and is much happier. His coat is also softer and silkier.
goldh31

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~pitbullpride~ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm

I find this thread very useful! Bookmarking for future use!

I feed my dog kibbles n' bits, and did not realize what he was actually eating! It makes me sick thinking about it. I'm taking a trip to the petstore right now!

At the shelter I work at, the animals eat Science Diet. Anything wrong with that?

formerly known as axdrty2008
Imagination is such a vivid place to hide
Image[/
My loyal, faithful, guardian angel. You will be missed!
~pitbullpride~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woodsy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey there! Very helpful thread! As soon as I read the ingredients you wouldn't recommend in dog food, I ran out into the garage to check our dog food.
It seems pretty good, but I wanted to ask your opinion seeing it was not on the list.

Here's a link to the exact food we give them:
http://www.avodermnatural.com/Dog_Foods/adult_lr.htm

So, tell me what you think. :)
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

~A Cherokee Wolf Legend~

Woodsy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm on my ereader so it may take me a while to respond.

@woodsy: avoderm is a middle ground food, nothing bad in it. May be a bit grain heavy, but its fine as long as fido does well on it.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bangarain » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Science Diet's...cruddy as well, honestly. XD They feed it at our shelter too, but hey, it's better than nothing...but still awful. I would reccomend Acana Orijen, Taste of the Wild, California Natural etc. Science Diet just marketed loads to vets and such but it's not a good food. Orijen, Acana etc seem more expensive at first but you feed less so it's actually less expensive!!
bangarain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm

I wouldn't eat science diet if I was starving in the woods.

It's bad bad bad BAD. Starlings do -awful- on it.

If I may, I suggest when looking for a dog food, to look for a meat FIRST. No by products for the first ingredient. And don't forget the fat content and such.

I feed my european starling a dog food based diet, as they are insectivores who need lots of animal protien, and I feed a food which has chicken as the first ingredient. Only grainy-thing in it is barley. Fat is 10%, protien 28%. She has done well on it.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _Nienna_ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks for this Tread, that´s a reason more why i BARF my Dog ;)
_Nienna_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me