People who like dogs more than cats, why?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: People who like dogs more than cats, why?

Postby rileypillow » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:41 am

While I love both, I find cats really hard to understand.

As someone who has raised many invertebrates, cats are far harder to interpret and understand than invertebrates.
I also find it harder to get attached to cats. If I pet them, I fear that they might suddenly turn on me without warning. Cats want to be left alone sometimes, and it's not always clear when and when not to give them their own space. While I like their independence, they're a little too independent for my liking. They understand but ignore your commands, which is infuriating and it's hard not to lose it. They can get in a temper with you and suddenly decide they hate you just because you won't let them sit on their favourite perch. Cats can be very demanding. I also like to look at my pets, but cats start to look awkward if I watch for too long. And as a person who frequently has unexpected changes, events, holidays, cats don't cope very well so then I have to deal with comforting them too, which can stress me out. And adding to that, it's almost impossible to go on holiday with a cat, so I have to hope that there's a trustworthy cattery nearby - at one cattery ours got sick, and there's not a huge selection or infinite spaces available.
Also, hunting. I hate cats hunting and the only way to stop them is to keep them in.

Dogs are not fault free either. I don't like overly friendly dogs because I find them pushy and they don't always check your body language and mood before running over to you (if I'm sad and wanting to be alone, I don't want to be knocked over by an excitable dog). Dogs are very playful and can be destructive. I also find them a little... disgusting, no offence to any dog owners out there, I don't like slobber and dog scent and muddy paws and the other things that come with owning a dog.

"Cats don't really care about you" is definitely not true. And "all dogs care about you" is not true either. Our cat will defend you at all costs if she realises anyone is in danger, and she'll follow us on walks even if she doesn't want to because she wants to be with us. She can seem apathetic to us at times, or only be interested in food, petting and having a lap to sit on. But she will show genuine affection and greet you excitedly. I've seen dogs who are either not interested in people or a one-person dog, you can't form a bond no matter how hard you try. I've heard of dogs who will attack people.

If I'm honest, if I had the choice between a cat or dog, I'd choose neither. I'd rather have a bird. Maybe I'll get chickens or doves one day.
rileypillow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby JunYura » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:11 pm

I prefer dogs. I'm allergic to cats but it never stops me from petting and playing with them whenever I'm at a cat-owner friends house. Even though I'm not a big fan of most of them, they are still very cute animals. I'm a vet tech and I still feed, pet and play with the cats by my car.

I personally have had a ton of bad experiences with cats. Stayed at my boyfriends place for a week recently and his cat hates women. The whole time I was there she would hiss and glare daggers at me. Hates his mom, grandma and little sis too. When I was a toddler, my half sister had this rescue stray cat named Tinka. I would frequently get baby sat by my half sister. Tinka was very unpredictable and once cornered me, who was minding my own business, and scratched me up really bad. She hated everyone but my sister. That said, every animal is an individual. Every animal has a different temperament and personality. I just don't really vibe with cats and that's fine.

Also I'm a very outdoorsy person. I love being able to take my dogs with me to the mountains and pretty much any outdoor activity. And they can match my energy.
JunYura

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Friendlyseal » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:32 pm

I agree with @JunYura. I love that dogs match my energy. I am not sure if I like them more than cats (we have 3 cats and a dog so we like both) but I do love that my dog is always ready for whatever. Out on a run? I'll join you! Wanna cuddle? Yes please! Are you sleeping? Ok, I'm in!

Not that all dogs are like that but I think it is more common to find that agreeable eagerness in a dog. I also kind of think dogs have more character and individuality. Don't get me wrong, cats are great and I love them but every dog I have met has been unique whereas I feel like cats have simpler personalities, with less diversity.
Friendlyseal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me