SAVE THE SHARKS - PLEASE READ AND SPREAD THE WORD

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

SAVE THE SHARKS - PLEASE READ AND SPREAD THE WORD

Postby DELETE.ACCOUNT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36 am

SAVE THE SHARKS!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Quoting yuumei of DeviantArt (http://yuumei.deviantart.com/)
"The ironic truth:
Ever since the movie, Jaws, people have had an irrational fear of sharks. The ironic truth is that humans are the ones killing off all the sharks. You’re more likely to die from lightning strikes or falling coconuts than sharks. There are only around 60 shark attacks per year, and only around 4 of those attacks are fatal. The shark attacks are usually accidents in which the shark mistakes a surfer for a seal. However, over 104,000,000 sharks are killed by humans every year.

Around 78 million of the 104 million dead sharks are killed only for their fins to be put into shark fin soup. The soup is a popular dish in Asian countries, and falsely believed to have health benefits such as sex life enhancement. Shark finning is the cruel act of cutting off the shark’s fins while it is still alive, then the still living shark is wastefully thrown back into the ocean to die a slow and painful death. Can you imagine the agony of someone chopping off your arms and legs and leaving you to bleed to death just so they can have a make believe better sex life?

The irony of the situation is that due to all the pollution we dump into the ocean, the sharks and other apex predators like dolphins and whales have accumulated a dangerous level of toxins such as mercury (this process called biomagnication is not as bad with fish on the lower food chain so we can still eat those). Eating animals like sharks can cause mercury poisoning, which will not only cause nerve damage and eventual retardation, but also decrease your sexual performance.

Why it matters to YOU:
Sharks are an important part of our ecosystem. They have been around for 430 million years, and that time, all of the ocean’s life have evolved around sharks. If sharks go extinct, the fragile balance of the ocean will be thrown into chaos. Without sharks to eat fish on the lower food chain, those fish will breed out of control and eat all the plankton that’s needed to produce oxygen.

Unlike some fish that lays thousands of eggs every year, sharks only produce 2-20 pups per year. If we catch them at the same rate as other fish we eat, they will go extinct. What worse is that people don’t even eat the shark itself, just the fins because they believe it will help their sex life.

How you can help:
Shark finning is technically banned in many countries, but there is no real effort to stop the illegal trade of shark fins. However, just by simply spreading awareness about the toxic truth behind shark fin soup, we can help bring down the demand for shark fins which will ultimately break down the illegal trade. If people are educated about the fact that shark fin soup doesn’t actually make them better at sex, and that it can actually poison them, then they will no long want to buy it.

A simple way to spread awareness is to post this picture on your own dA, blog, or website along with the info above. You have my full permission repost this drawing anywhere you want. Also tweet and facebook it to all your friends and family. The more people who knows, the more difference we can make!"

Quoting Humane Society International (http://www.hsi.org/issues/shark_finning ... nning.html)
"Every year, in oceans around the world, tens of millions of sharks are hunted to meet the demand for shark fin soup. Sharks’ fins are often removed when the animals are still alive; the sharks are then thrown back into the water to endure a painful death from suffocation, blood loss, or predation by other species.

Sharks are apex predators who play an essential role in marine ecosystems. The cruel and ecologically devastating practice of shark finning endangers their survival—and that of the species that rely on them."
"Sharks have roamed the oceans for millions of years. Today, one-fifth of nearly 550 species are threatened with extinction. In the United States, some populations have declined 90 percent in the last 30 years. Some are slaughtered for their fins (used for soup) and others are killed for sport in tournaments."

Quoting WorldAndI.com (http://www.worldandi.com/newhome/public ... /nspub.asp)
"Mention the word sharks, and what goes through your mind? The movie Jaws? Ferocious giants of the sea ripping up helpless swimmers, surfers, and boaters? The word is even applied to people who engage in extortion, preying on others through deceptive practices.
Yes, sharks are predators that occupy the top layer of the marine food web, and many are large and powerful enough to be capable of harming a person. Even so, only certain species pose a definite danger to people who venture into their habitat, while most are inoffensive. On a worldwide scale, the number of shark attacks on humans amounts to about 100 per year, of which only 5 to 15 are fatal. In most cases, the attack ends after the initial contact and the shark does not kill or eat the victim.
By comparison, many more people die each year from water-related activities that do not involve sharks. Even the number of casualties from lightning strikes is much higher. Unfortunately, each shark attack is sensationalized by the media, and these stories then shape public perception of sharks.
On the other hand, human activities exert a key influence on shark survival. In recent years, as fisheries relying on other types of fish have declined, shark captures--both intentional and accidental--have greatly increased. According to an estimate reported online by NOAA Fisheries, over 100 million sharks are killed each year. Consequently, populations of many species have been dramatically reduced.
To gain a better perspective on these conflicting issues, it is important to understand sharks in terms of their biological features, life cycles, dietary habits, and role in marine ecosystems. In addition, we need to consider how they are affected by commercial and recreational fishing."

Since 1950, the shark population has declined by 90 percent. They are pulled up to a boat, still alive, have their fins cut off and are thrown back into the sea to drown and/or bleed to death. Each year alone over 100 million are killed. Sharks attack a mere 100 people a year { Normally and mostly they do this as just bites out of curiousity to say what the person is. They don't have hands like us to figure it out. Also, They may mistake a person for a seal-but will abandon their attack as soon as they figure out that their "prey" is a human. } of which 5-15 are fatal.

Images and stamps found at deviantart.com.
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=609028&p=14149860#p14149860][img]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/301/8/1/stamp__shark_finning_by_t_vr-d31pc81.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=609028&p=14149860#p14149860][img]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/209/a/6/Shark_Fact_1_by_n_ostalgia.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=609028&p=14149860#p14149860][img]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/088/4/6/46a22c6ea27cfe4414d0f4bc1f297da4.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=609028&p=14149860#p14149860][img]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/209/b/5/THE_TRUTH_ABOUT_SHARKS__by_n_ostalgia.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=609028&p=14149860#p14149860][img]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/266/2/0/what__s_worst_than_fishing_by_kyalona_teh_wonderer-d2zbb1w.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=609028&p=14149860#p14149860][img]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/193/2/d/I__heart__Sharks_stamp_by_LouaWolf.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by DELETE.ACCOUNT on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 12 times in total.
    PLEASE DELETE THIS ACCOUNT-->I'VE QUIT CHICKEN SMOOTHIE

i'm a cat. meow. but i also used to be Beanie until someone stole my user
    while I changed it for a week, lol xD so yus. dis iz Beanie and she's finally actually
    leaving for realz. kbai guyz pce owt <333333 luv u 5 evar qt 3.14s!!!1!11!1one!11!

Continue to stalk me at my DeviantArt! :D

I have a Pesterchum :D Shoot me a message if you want, lol but don't be offended if I don't know you and don't really want to talk xD My chumhandle is spazticMatchmaker. (the download for PC is here guys zomg :OOOO)
DELETE.ACCOUNT

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: SAVE THE SHARKS - PLEASE READ AND SPREAD THE WORD

Postby miraphoenix » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:56 pm

I am, and always have been, against the concept of shark finning. Why another supposedly more intelligent species would brutally mutilate another just to have a better time in bed is beyond me....

I will definitely spread the word to my few friends who are not aware of this atrocity!

Add me to the list, please.
Last edited by miraphoenix on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
miraphoenix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DELETE.ACCOUNT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Wolva wrote:I am, and always have been, against the concept of shark finning. Why another supposedly more intelligent species would brutally mutilate another just to have a better time in bed is beyond me....

I will definitely spread the word to my few friends who are not aware of this atrocity!

Woo! It has to be stopped.
[wait... to have a better time in bed..? Typo...?]

while I changed it for a week, lol xD so yus. dis iz Beanie and she's finally actually
    leaving for realz. kbai guyz pce owt <333333 luv u 5 evar qt 3.14s!!!1!11!1one!11!

I have a Pesterchum :D Shoot me a message if you want, lol but don't be offended if I don't know you and don't really want to talk xD My chumhandle is spazticMatchmaker. (the download for PC is here guys zomg :OOOO)
DELETE.ACCOUNT

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Todd. » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:17 am

I've seen a program about it in Animal Planet, they even showed a place where people who caught sharks had to use it all! Although I dont like sharks I agree with you that shark finning must be stopped!!!
Last edited by Todd. on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
[ He/him ] [ Brazilian ] [20+] [ Veterinarian ]

----------------------------------------
[ Wi-Fi > ]
[ All art by me Q//u//Q ]
----------------------------------------
Commission Board.

Mods, luna333 is my sister and Velifera is my cousin. We do trade unfairly and share IP addresses at times.
Todd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby YouMeAtTheHorizon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:20 am

Add me onto the list! I never actually knew about it till now.
bring me the horizon : youmeatsix : asking alexandria: sws :adtr

YouMeAtTheHorizon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DELETE.ACCOUNT » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 am

Yayy, thank-you for the support! Someone should suggest a petition to Avaaz for a ban on shark finning.

I'll put up the codes for those stamps with links back to here?

DELETE.ACCOUNT

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby animals00 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:40 am

I am against shark finnig but the rainsing awareness thing is a bit pointless, as I don't know anyone (and I'm not an adult) that does not know about this! my little 6 year old cousin had a massive rant about it once! and she isn't really interested in animals that much!
so a pettition might be more useful!
myself I feel a bit guilty as my grandpa was a fisherman and has killed a fair few amounts of sharks who got caught in the tuna nets, if it helps they ate them, and not just the fins (there were also dolphins but that is a more sensible subject, although I (and he) prefer sharks)
I think shark fishing is alright, if legal, only a few, not endangered species and for the whole shark not just the fins!
also I'm against people killing a shark just because someone got their arm munched off because they were surfing/swiming in a shark zone, yes it's bad for the person and I wouldnt like to be them but killing a random shark (you can't know its the same shark, sharks don't stay in the same place for more than a day so it'll be gone quicklly!) is not gonna help get their arm back!

however I don't like one of your stamps that says: 'what's worse than fishing' cause that implies fishng is bad, and it isn't if controlled! Imight still borrow a stamp =3

and I see more peope worry about tigers than wolves, just CS has a hell of a lot of wolf lovers
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PASTEL AND CARD '08 DOG SETS UFA HERE
animals00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lennie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:05 am

Please disregard.
    I do love sharks though, and you can question my love if you wish. ^^
Last edited by Lennie on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|x|x|x┌─────────────┐
|x|x|x|x|they / he | trades
|x|x|x||||||||||||||cs help
|x|x|x└─────────────┘
|x|x|||"the hunt is everything,
|xand the pack is always ready
"
Lennie
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 am

Guilty of clicking on Lennie's Signature. :3

Add me onto the list please, ♥
`
`

..trades | she/her | help

https://open.spotify.com/track/5QRAfvKPyQpwt897Jc0glg?si=B3Ik8vQhTb-J5uU4UijWGA&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A3j90eFnVFEYzOVt024QCTf
Shy
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby YouMeAtTheHorizon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:31 am

Shy wrote:
Guilty of clicking on Lennie's Signature. :3

Add me onto the list please, ♥

Totally off topic but I came on and the Lyrics to Ghost of you were on your siggy and I was listening to EXACTLY that part! Freaky!
bring me the horizon : youmeatsix : asking alexandria: sws :adtr

YouMeAtTheHorizon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me