CLOSED (WINNERS ANNOUNCED): UR HOLLY DOG GIVEAWAY!

Find a competition to enter your artwork in, or create an art competition for others!
Forum rules
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

Re: UR HOLLY DOG GIVEAWAY! SIMPLE WRITING CONTEST

Postby kageyenova » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:10 am

Here's my entry! I hope you enjoy ♥

The Holly Wings

It was a harsh, winter night. The street lights flickered through the snow, the Christmas lights swayed in the wind, and a small puppy whined and barked against the harsh cold that lashed itself over her. Her ruby eyes squinted against the cruel winds, trying to keep focus on the lights around her. The darkness of the night was scary. And this box she had been sitting in, for who knows how long now, provided no warmth, no comfort, and no protection.
Her siblings had been taken away by greedy, furless hands. The small pup missed the constant movement around her, providing heat for her and the rest of the litter. She tried to remember what brought her here, this place of abandonment, in the first place. But no memory rung a bell. She had no mother. She had no more brothers, or sisters.

There was only the snow, as white as her pelt, that had any kind of relation with her. She howled helplessly into the night, crying for food as hunger clawed at her belly. Her chops felt dry, having no water in days. The snow was no help, merely freezing her jaws, and whatever hope she had left.

Now this pup starts wandering the streets, looking into the lights of each warm-looking building, and every twinkling star she could manage to glimpse at through the falling snow. Her paws were numbed by the cold, and her nose couldn't detect the presence of her own scent. She felt as though she was beginning to fade away into the wind that threatened to sweep her off her feet.
The pup continues along an invisible path, walking over a bridge where up ahead, she found flying lights. Some dashed left, others dashed right. She barked a greetings toward the playful lights, and noticed how each golden glow was chased by a red one. She wanted to join in the fun, and forced her small legs to move a little faster. As she grew closer, however, her small, folded ears perked up to the sound of rumbling. The lights were growling at her.
'Go away,' they snarled a warning, 'You are too weak to play. You do not belong here.'
Even still, the puppy padded on closer to the lights, zigzagging left and right and disappearing until another pair came to continue the game.
I want to play, The pup thought stubbornly. I have no more brothers. I have no more sisters. You will take pity of me, and allow me to have fun before this night ends. I have no where and no one to go to.

And the pup made a mistake. She got as close as possible, stepping off the curb and dashing into the center of the street. She glanced left and right, hearing the rumbling grow louder and louder. But she felt confidence. She felt ready. Her eyes, as red as the lights that chased, looked for a golden one to chase. But once she glanced right, she only found hostility in the headlights of a car that bore down on her. It screeched, terrifying her nearly to death.
With a deafening squeal, the white pup leapt forward, out of the way of the vehicle. She ran a few steps, and suddenly the ground gave way beneath her front paws. She came tumbling down a hill, rolling over and over and over until friction began to take effect. The weak pup slid on her side through the snow, her head bumping into the base of a tall tree. She pant heavily, jaws agape as she breathed, her sides moving up and down rapidly. Now that she lay here, just breathing, she noticed how hollow she felt on the inside. She had wasted all her energy for the sake of entertainment. And now what? Was this where everything would end?
Something poked her, right between her shoulder blades, and she barked softly in surprise.
Lifting her head, the pup found a strange object that landed at her back.

Three red berries, she recognized, lay on her left shoulder, and two dark green leaves lay in the snow just above them. Above the pup, a grey bird chirped, ruffling its feathers and singing to the small puppy. She watched in awe, her red eyes sparkling. A gift, for me? She thought.
Laying her head back down, she closed her eyes and continued to listen to the bird's joyous song. The pup may not speak bird, but she could sense the happiness and freedom in the tune. She imagined the bird singing of a land where there was always food for orphaned puppies, always a home to return to if she ever got lost. She imagined the bird sang of a place with warm snow, and the smell of gingerbread was always in the air. Now, the pup didn't have a clue what gingerbread may smell like, but she was creative enough to imagine something smelling so sweet you could almost taste it.
The bird chirps on, for hours, it seemed. The sky was no longer dark, and instead glowing a brilliant gold in the distance. The small puppy whimpered happily at the sight, wagging her small tail as her hope began to build up once more. I can see it, the puppy thinks, I can see that land. A home. I won't have to starve anymore.

The puppy gives one last howl, thankful for the brilliant song that was sung to her. She blinks at the beautiful sunrise, giving it a good look one last time, before closing her eyes.

That morning, a dog was born from the swirling blizzard of snow. She shook her white pelt, opened her brilliant ruby eyes, and pounced into the air to spread her large, Holly Wings. The brilliant leaves lift the canine gracefully into the air, leaving behind a small, smiling puppy, that lay in an eternal, peaceful, slumber.

zzz

I hope this wasn't too sad?? Uh? I just kind of wrote whatever came to mind! Thanks for reading, and this opportunity to win the Holly Dog!
hi im kage.
kageyenova

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BigWolf643 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:04 pm

notes: wrote this short little thing in like an hour or so! it's around 1,300 words, and the other character, aster, isn't any cs pet, i just made her up. hope you enjoy!

Being an outsider in a flower field was an obvious thing. Flower-creatures were beautiful and loud, pelts adorned with petals in a dizzying array of colors and shades. Flower fields had dogs with fur the color of a sunrise, birds with feathers the color of summer, and deer that grew blossoms out of their hooves.

Holly stepped into the colorful land of flowers and sweet smells, and knew she didn’t belong. Her fur was the color of clouds and nothing else, and her eyes were a dull orange. Surrounding her were reds and greens and purples and pinks, and she wanted to join them in their dancing, feel the wind tug at flowers of her own.

But she was a forest-thing, twisted and warped and newly free. Flowers couldn’t weave into her pelt like they did for others.

Holly’s thoughts were broken by a dark brown, furry head popping into her vision. “Alright, what are you moping about now?” Aster asked after giving Holly a second to shake herself, “And whatever it is, let’s talk about it right now. We’re not having a repeat of what happened back at Dapple River.”

“Aster—” Holly started, but the dog only shook her head and sat down, blocking Holly’s view of the flower field.

“Nope! Not entering Flower Meadow until you tell me what’s wrong and we work it out.” Aster’s dark tail thumped against the grass, and the blue and purple flowers that grew on the vine that twined around it shifted as air blew over them.

In the forest, Aster's flowers had been dull and drooping, but here, in sunlight, they were bright and full. Looking at Aster was like looking at a rainbow: red flowers that grew beside her eyes and down her snout, orange ones on the back of her neck and mixing in with yellow at her chest, the green and blues that mixed in with her brown fur, and the purples of her paws and tail, growing lighter as they trailed down.

Out here, she was home, in the flowers and sunlight, but Holly wasn’t. She was away from the constant shade of the forest, away from cool air and damp soil.

“Holly,” Aster said, lifting a paw and waving it in front of her face, “Holly. C’mon, what’s wrong? I want to help you!”

“…I don’t belong,” Holly said. Aster opened her mouth to protest, but Holly cut her off, “You’re from here, and I can tell, but I’m not. I just…feel out of place. You’re flowers and light and color, while I’m just…plain. White fur and orange eyes. There’s nothing beautiful about me.”

“That last part is absolutely untrue,” Aster said, “So what if you don’t have flowers like I do? There’s flowers all around us! If you want them in your fur that bad, just put them in! They won’t grow on vines like mine, but you can have me stick them behind your ears if you want.”

Holly stared down at her paws. “That’s not really it…” she said, “It’s like…you have flowers and vines and you’re like a rainbow on the ground, but I’m just boring and plain. You’re a flower-creature, I’m a forest-thing. I don’t want to be that. I want to grow flowers in my fur.”

“Oh.” Aster stood up and nuzzled Holly, “I can’t really help you with that. But…” the dog trailed off and trotted over to a bright orange flower, tugging it out of the ground.

“What are you doing?” Holly asked, tilting her head. Aster grinned.

“I had a great idea,” she said, “Okay, so I can stick a flower in my vines, right?” Aster lifted her right forepaw and slid the stem of the flower between vine and fur, “Like that. And that’s kinda like you sticking flowers in your fur. But I can also…”

Aster closed her eyes and her body tensed up, as though preparing to fight. However, after a moment, she relaxed, and made her way back over to Holly.

“See this little bud?” Aster asked, lifting her paw and nosing a little bud, smaller than the rest of the purple flowers on her paw, “This one is growing out of my vine. It’s permanent. I can make them grow if I think really hard.”

“How does this help me?” Holly asked, huffing. She was glad Aster was trying to help, but her mate wasn’t always the best at that. She tried, and Holly gave her credit, but she was also the reason the two of them were banned from four different rest-stops and three dog packs.

Of course, being out of the forest made those bans void, but still.

“I grow flowers because I’m a flower-creature. You can’t. But what grows in the forest? Trees, and bushes, and things like that! Why not try growing your own plants?”

“I don’t want leaf-rot growing out of my fur,” Holly said.

“Not leaf-rot,” Aster said, nosing Holly in the side with a playful twinkle to her eyes, “I’m not stupid. You were named after some berry bush, right? Why not try that? Just close your eyes, and imagine leaves and berries growing out of your paw. If you have the right magic or whatever Mom called it, vines grow and then the flowers follow! Well, berries and leaves, in your case, but same idea.”

“Holly bush…” Holly murmured. She closed her eyes, and thought about what she wanted to look like. Two sets of deep green leaves, red berries at the base. Leaves tipped with points for protection. Growing out of her back, with thin vines that wrapped around the area before attaching the wings to her skin.

“That’s it!” Aster said, “It might hurt. A lot. I, uh, shoulda said that first. It hurt when I first did it. Mom says that’s the vines, ‘cause they have to ‘establish proper connections,’ or something like that. After you have one, the next time is way easier.”

Holly’s back felt like it was on fire again, and it took every ounce of control for her not to scream. “Please,” she managed to get out, “Keep talking. Hurts.”

“Yeah! I will! Uh…so, Mom used to tell me that all creatures have the power to grow flowers, but the reason you don’t see more flower-creatures like me is because Flower Meadow is the only place it works. Since the meadow was made accidentally by some god long ago, it has a ton of power that floats through the air, and that’s what my flowers feed on. Power and sunlight.

“Actually, I’m pretty sure the god that created Flower Meadow was like, kicked out or whatever. Stripped of their power and soul and name, that sorta thing. It might be that power that fills the air? Which is weird, because that’s the dead stuff of a god, but it gives me cool flowers, so I shouldn’t really complain.”

Aster stopped talking, and Holly wanted to ask her to keep going, even if she could only half-hear because of the pain. She loved listening to Aster’s voice.

When Aster spoke again, her voice was hushed, awe-filled. “Wow…” she said, and the words were soft and airy, like wind, “Holly, that’s…you did really good.”

Holly opened her eyes. The pain was still there, a stinging burn, but not as harsh as it had been before. If she focused, she could feel the wings on her back, new and fresh, made of leaf and berry.

“Wow,” Holly agreed.

“We have to find a river or something, so you can see yourself,” Aster said, as she started to walk into the meadow. Holly shook herself out and pushed herself to her paws, running to catch up with Aster.

“Yeah,” Holly said. Could she fly on wings of leaf? She’d seen a creature once, long ago, that had wings made of twig and rot, and that one could fly.

“Are you good now?” Aster asked quietly. Holly nodded, and let her new wings flutter in the wind.

“I think so,” she said, and Aster grinned, “Ready to go find your family?”

Flowers tugged at their paws as they walked, and Aster laughed. “I’ve been ready ever since I first got lost in that forest,” she said, and Holly grinned back.
Last edited by BigWolf643 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
R.I.P Peppermint. April 2010-July 3, 2014
You will always be remembered, as a loving, caring best friend, who died too young

ImageImage
BigWolf643

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sadone » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Mark!

❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚞𝚗𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜

𝚝 𝚑 𝚎 𝚢 ' 𝚛 𝚎

cred.
sadone

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wingsofsilver » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:58 am

“Sweep, Ash. Come here, darlings.”

Two heads lifted as a dark shadow passed by the entrance of their den, and excited yipping preceded them as they tumbled out to join their mother, Dusk. The slate grey wolf sat outside, her gaze already on the stars shining above, and the crunch of snow beneath the paws of her young pups let her know they were close.

One pup, dark grey and male, was the more rambunctious of the two, and he tumbled into her side before snuggling close. He was the color of the dark dust that fell from the clouds when the mountain poured fire and smoke. She had never seen it, but her grandwolf had told her the story, and he was the oldest and most respected storyteller she knew. The other pup, smaller and female, was white as the new fallen snow, and more graceful and demure than her brother.

“Is it time?” Sweep asked, coming to sit beside her mother. At Dusk’s feet was a branch of holly.

“Yes, my dears. This is a story you both should know, for it explains why winter comes, and why we must remember the holly bush. It is a story as old as time.” The constellation above shimmered as she spoke, and her words echoed through the trees.

A long time ago, when the forest was still very young, the land was warm and fruitful. There were no seasons, no cold, no hardships. Food was plentiful and the animals prospered. But that was all about to change, for the frigid North Wind was restless and raging, furious that it had been held back for so long by its siblings, East and West. One night, when East and West were busy with their own pursuits, they forgot about North, and it broke free, howling and screaming as it headed south.

A young wolf, almost to adulthood, woke from a terrible dream. Her eyes, bright red, popped open as she awoke, and she lifted her head to peer northward. It wasn’t strange for her to have visions. In fact, she had them quite often, but she rarely spoke of them to anyone else. It was a harsh dream, of frozen ice and cold white, trees were bare and animals were dying. There was no food and those that were still alive huddled in the shadows, seeking what little warmth they could find.

The young wolf wasn’t sure what to do about the dream. It seemed so unreal in a land that never grew cold. So she walked through the forest, pondering its meaning, when she came upon a still pool. Thirsty after her long walk, she trotted over to have a cool drink, when she started and froze. Peering back at her through the silvery surface was a reflection not her own! A magnificent stag peered back at her, with a rack of antlers larger than any she’d ever seen.

“Peace, young one. I am the Lord of the Forest, protector of animals great and small. I have chosen you to bear my wisdom, for the North Wind has been freed and it will soon be here.”

The wolf crouched down, her ears and head low in respect. “Me, my Lord? Who am I to bear such knowledge? No one will believe me.”

“You are my chosen, for you have courage and spirit. I will aid you. The earth already feels the ice, and the trees know as well. Now go, there is much to do and little time left.” A cold breeze brushed her fur, and the Lord of the Forest’s wisdom poured into her.

The young wolf raced back to forest, where her mother, leader of the wolves and one of the Council, called a meeting of the animals of the forest. The young wolf spoke of the knowledge she had gained. She told of the foods that could be gathered and stored, the foods to eat to store energy for the long nights ahead. She spoke of places farther south that would be warm for those who wished to travel, and of finding warm burrows and dens in which to sleep for those who wished to stay. For those too big to hide, she bade to gather in groups and to use the trees and cliffs to hide from the wind, and told of the few places where food could still be found.

Most of the animals were doubtful, and a few outright laughed at her words. They would be fools to believe her. But the Lord of the Forest kept his promise, and a frostbitten wind swept through the trees, leaving ice crystals on the leaves and branches around them until the warm air melted them away. It was then that they believed, though a few doubters remained, and they busily went about to follow the wisdom that the young wolf had given them.

The trees, which had always been green, began to burst with colors of gold, and orange, and red. The wind became chill and the plants began to die away. The animals scurried and gathered, and in the weeks that followed, the young wolf hurried from den to den, burrow to burrow, helping those that she could, and when the cold was finally upon them, the first snow fell and wrapped the land in a blanket of white. The North Wind had arrived. The doubters found themselves without home or food, for all the best had been taken, and they cried out in fear, begging for help, but none came.

It was a dark night, and the young wolf had run herself into exhaustion, hardly stopping to eat herself, and she no longer had the strength to make it back to her family’s den. Her white fur glistened with the snow as she lay shivering in the cold. But the Lord of the Forest had not forgotten her, or his promise. He appeared in a swirl of snowflakes.

“Rise, young one. I have bestowed upon you a gift, for you have shown great courage and sacrifice, selfless to the end. Look now upon your reward, and go, for you shall be known henceforth as Holly, Guardian of the Forest.”

Holly rose, her legs steady and strong once again, and looked with awe upon the shimmering wings of holly that unfolded from her back, brightest green with berries as red as blood. With a howl of joy, she sped through the forest, her wings making her as fast as the wind itself, and wherever she stopped to help or give aid, holly bushes sprang up in her wake, the only green in a sea of white, still bright when everything else had died away. It was a symbol of hope, of Holly’s honorable spirit in the face of great challenge, until spring finally arrived as the North Wind went home to rest.

In the years that followed, Holly would guide the animals of the forest, reminding them of the Lord of the Forest’s wisdom. The holly bushes remained, continuing to grow brightly even as winter came, so that they could remember, long after Holly had grown old and passed.

Dusk peered up at the sky. “It is said that the Lord of the Forest placed Holly’s spirit in the sky when she died, so that she could continue to look down up on the forest and guide us. Now it is our turn, to guard those in our forest when the North Wind returns year after year.”

“That’s a nice story,” Ash yawned, ready to go back to sleep. He had been more excited about the first snow than helping the other animals, and turned to enter the den once more.

“It’s more than just a story,” said Sweep, giving her brother a reproachful glance.

But it was her daughter who Dusk looked at, with her fur glistening like the snow, and with eyes as red as the holly berries on the branch at her feet. As she watched, a frost-bitten wind swept through them, and she could just make out the shimmering outline of holly wings along Sweep’s back.

And she smiled.

This story is based on the Celtic meaning of holly and my own twist on how the seasons came to be. :)

-Let your beauty shine within even in times of dormancy.
-Rule the day, and let your generosity be your legacy.
-The energy of life is ever-present.
I like trades so please don't hesitate to make one. <3
Trading FR Treasure/Items/Dragons for Tier 7 List Dogs
FR Dragons for Sale
wingsofsilver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pecos » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:41 am

It was the dead of winter. The wind creaked the bare branches of the trees. Snow blew around like a hurricane, and the ground was dusted with it. Underneath an ancient pine, lay 4 dogs. One was so still that you could even say that she was dead. Who knows? Maybe she is.
The other three sat before it, bending their heads down and lapping at the larger dog's fur. Their breath stirred the flakes around their muzzles. One was brown and a male, another was grey and female, and the last, well the last blended in with the snow. The only reason she could be seen was because of her red eyes.
"Momma?" The grey puppy whispered, nudging the other dog with her paw. "Momma, wake up!" She growled angrily. "I'm hungry!"
Her mother didn't respond. Her flanks didn't move. Her eyes didn't blink. This dog was certainly dead. Froze to death overnight, perhaps. The pups already knew it. They knew it by the way her mothers eyes were clouded and distant. The white pup stepped forward.
"She's dead, Pebble..." She told the grey pup gently. She whimpered softly, and collapsed on the soft bed of snow. The brown pup walked solemnly towards Pebble.
"Pebble," He growled at her as he nudged her to her feet. "We need to move. Grown wolves could be around, and I know that you don't want to become a snack."
"Oak, don't be to hard on her. We all are grieving for mother." The white pup took a glance at her mother, Birch. Her creamy white fur was billowed by the chilly winter air. "But Pebble," She murmured. "We do need to move. I'm sure that mother wouldn't want us to die after all she has done for us."
"Well worded, Rose." Oak whispered into her ear. His breath was warm and tickled the hair surrounding Rose's ear, causing it to twitch. At this moment, Pebble stood up and gave her fur a shake. Snow flew from her fur, burying Oak in a pile of it. Pebble giggled, but she didn't expect Oak to come flying at her, his teeth bared playfully. He carefully batted Pebble around the ears, and stood back, panting. Pebble was lying down in the snow, giggling even harder.
The sight of her would make any so called dog, or wolf, smile. Rose remembered when her mother would play with her like that. She was firstborn, and from her mothers first litter. She was already eight moons old, and in charge. The other pups from her litter died soon after they were born. They were weak from birth, and couldn't cope with the cold weather. Oak and Pebble were from her mothers second litter. They had a brother, Pitch, but he was carried off by a hungry eagle during a snowstorm because his black fur stood out of the snow. And their father? He went out hunting one night and never came back. Rose only remembered his red eyes and white fur brushing the den walls as he left.
Rose shook her head, bringing herself back to the present. "We need to move, now." She yelled over the rising winds. Pebble and Oak scampered over to her. For 5 moons old, they were big. Rose took one last look at her mother, and brushed her way through a bramble thicket. The crunching of snow told her that her siblings were following. Looking ahead, Rose faced the whiteout, that seemed like it would stretch on and on and on...
3 Moons Later
The deer's ear twitched. It's nose sniffed through the long, dead grass. Rose carefully placed her paws down, careful not to let the snow beneath her give away her position. The wind rattled through the pines, and the scent of sap was strong. You would never know that winter was at its end because of the grey sky. A patch of moving brown fur at the far side of the clearing let Rose know that Oak was in position. Pebble watched from the shadows, her eyes intent, waiting to learn how to hunt. The two pups had grown strong in the past moons. Winter had been long and harsh, but at last they were able to find a meal worth hunting for.
The deer was fat, full of the bark it had fed on all through winter. Rose twitched her furry white tail, signaling Oak to move forward. He was the decoy. He would run at the deer and steer it strait into Rose's claws. Rose was almost full grown now, her snow white pelt sleek, her claws sharp, and her teeth like daggers. She loved hunting in the snow, because she could blend in so well. She hated her eyes though, her bright red eyes. They gave her away. Twice during the winter it was her eyes fault for alerting the prey.
A sudden bark made her jump. Oak had already begun chasing the deer, flying out of the thicket he was hiding in and steering the deer strait towards her. Rose wiggled her legs, preparing to pounce. Her heart beat faster and faster as she pictured her teeth sinking into the juicy deer's flesh. It would be such and easy kill, or so she thought...
As the deer came flying at her, a huge brown ball of fur hurled itself out of the trees and landed square on the deer, nipping it's neck with its teeth. At first, Rose thought it was another wolf, but then she realized how massive it was, and its long claws. This was no wolf, this, was a bear. A grizzly by the looks of it. Rose could make out every single one of its ribs. This animal was starved. And Rose knew that starved bears were extremely dangerous. They had no chance of getting their prey back. Already, Pebble had slowly backed out of her hiding spot and regrouped with Rose, who was just about to let Oak know that they were to get as far away from the bear as possible.
But that was not to happen. An outraged howl erupted from his throat as Oak flung himself at the bear. Rose stared in shock and horror as the bear reared up against him, knocking Oak to the ground with a single massive paw. Time stopped. Rose saw what would happen next. The bear would smash Oak, killing him. But she wouldn't let that happen. She wouldn't let another family member die while she was watching like a coward. As the bear was preparing for the final strike, Rose leaped forward. Oak was lying in the snow, waiting for those massive claws to sink into him. But he was shocked when he felt his sister push him out of the path of the blow. He skidded across the clearing, and looked up at where he was pushed out of the way.
He looked just in time. The bear's paw slammed down on a patch of snow. No, it wasn't snow, it was fur. Pure, white fur. The crunch of bone sounded around the clearing. The bear lifted its paw up, and Oak stared at the broken, lifeless body of Rose. Blood seeped out of wounds on her side where the bear had scratched her. The grizzly payed no attention to the body, and dragged the dead doe through the trees.
Rose blinked open her eyes. She was in a sunny forest, sunflowers and daffodils growing in between the leaf filled trees. A gently, warm breeze ruffled Rose's fur. Where am I? She wondered. Where are Oak and Pebble? Then it all came back to her. The bear. The claws. The crunch of bone. She blinked, tears forming in the depths of her red eyes. She was dead. Pebble and Oak were venerable without her.
"I need to go back!" She screeched through the trees. Her desperate voice echoed back, and back again. What a strange forest it was. A white wolf stepped out into a sun lite patch of foliage. Rose whipped around and growled at the male wolf. "Who are you?"
"You don't recognize me..." He said, his voice filled with sorrow and his red eyes clouded. "My name is Blizzard, and Rose, I am your father." (Lol that sounds like Star Wars!)
Rose stumbled back in surprise. "Dad?" She asked, her voice merely a whisper. She watched as a creamy white wolf stepped out beside him. "Mom!" She cried happily and scampered over to her parents. She lapped her mothers fur, and turned to her dad. "What happened to you?" She asked him quietly.
"I went hunting, and it started to snow. I couldn't see ahead of me and..." He paused. "And... I lost my footing and fell. I'm so sorry that we didn't get to spend more time together Rose... It was just, destined I guess, for me to die."
"But it was not destined for you to die, my dear." Her mother added. "It was a very brave thing, what you did. It was supposed to be Oak here, but you acted out of love for him and took the blow." She looked into Rose's eyes, her own green eyes shining proudly. "And because of this act of love, we want to give you a blessing."
"Who is 'We'?" Rose asked puzzled. Her mother nodded towards the trees and at least fifty wolves poured out and surrounded Rose. A jet black wolf with blue eyes stepped from the crowd and faced Rose. "Rose," He said, his voice deep and filled with wisdom. "I come today to honor you for your act of bravery, love, and loyalty. I was the first alpha of any wolf pack that has ever existed, and I am greatly honored to bestow apon you this gift." The alpha stepped forward, and touched his nose to Rose's. A shocking warmth spread through Rose and gathered on her back. She turned around to inspect what was happening, and it was quite amazing.
Green buds had begun to sprout in her back, and they began to grow. Red holly berries gathered at the tips of the leaves. Rose was amazed. She had... holly wings. The warmth of the wings lingered, and she flapped them happily.
"Thank you." She whispered, as she slowly, sank into sleep. She looked at her parents. Joy filled their eyes as they leaned against each other. Rose smiled.
She awoke when it was night and to tongues licking her pelt. She lifted her head up and saw Oak and Pebble grooming her in grief. They jumped back in surprise as she stood up and shook out her fur. She felt something very odd on her back. She looked over her shoulder and saw her holly wings. She flapped them and lifted gracefully into the air. The chilly wind surrounded her and ruffled her fur, but the internal warmth from her holly wings protected her. Her siblings stared at her in wonder and happiness. She stared back, love filling her and flowing through her. She looked towards the stars. Two stars twinkled brighter than the others, and they were closer together than the others were.
"I promise I will always protect them." She whispered. They twinkled brightly, almost as if agreeing.
The End
Thank you so much for this opportunity. Writing a story on the Holly Dog has made me want it even more! But please know that I was not only writing this story for the prizes, but for the joy of it. I spend over an hour and a half sitting on my couch, happily writing and thinking of the plot. Good luck to everyone, and thank you so much for giving everyone a chance to do something great. This giveaway has probably opened a lot of hearts to the joy of writing! My fingers are getting kinda stiff now,
so I'm just gonna stop typing. :lol:
Last edited by pecos on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
──────────────────────────
pecos - /pey·kuh s, -kohs/ | she/her
not really active, here for art | insta
pecos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -Blufox » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:08 pm

ooh mark!
animated by me! ref
-Blufox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silent Serenity » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Mark, I'll be writing this fairly soon ' v '
Silent Serenity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Miper » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Let me tell you a tale, no not an ordinary tale. This is how I got my most faithful companion. The one who guarded me from... well, if you want to know I guess you'll have to read.

20 years ago and, he still lives.
20 years ago and, a true Christmas miracle.
20 years ago and, I found my guardian angel.

Crunch, crunch. Breathe, don't stop just.. breathe.
Crunch, crunch. Run and, breathe. Don't stop just.. run.

I remember it still. The cold crawling from the tips of my toes back to my fingers, and again. The cold never reached my head. I would've collapsed. Maybe that was him too, I'll never know.

Keep running, don't stop running. Breathe, don't stop breathing.
I need to hide, they'll find me.

And that's when I heard it. I senseless gun shot, my way.

"We know you're down there! We killed them, we'll kill you too and you know it. Don't ch'a, Ember!"

Dead. No, no, no. Not dead. Not my family. Don't let them get to you. Just...keep... running. My eyes, tears were gushing as if they'd been poisoned and I'd never see the same way again. Well even though they weren't poisoned, I would never see the same.

I gave up.
I was ready to die.

I ducked behind the nearest bush, It was a holly bush. I huddled into a ball, hot tears burning against the frozen lake that was my face. I waited for them, the bad men that had stolen my life just as quickly as it was given to me. They were going to kill me, but I wasn't ready, I had just... given up.

Crunch, crunch. Here they come. Crunch, crunch. I was ready for a devilish laugh that could only come from someone who had NO love in his heart.
The crunch was beside me with no laugh. I looked up.
No bad man.

A dog, pure white as the snow sat beside me, teeth showing. When I heard the men approach, I heard something else. A growl, from the dog. It was so deep. It had to have come from the deepest pit in his stomach. And just like that, the men were gone and I was in my bed.I jolted up and ran into the living room. Through my sliding door I saw the dog, the dog pure white as snow. He nodded at me, telling me it was ok. I was ok. As he walked away two wings peaked from his back. They were holly leaves. Holly wings, the same plant as the bush he had saved me from behind of. And that was it. I saw my guardian angel.

I saw my miracle.

I hope you enjoyed my story! Thank you so much for the opportunity. Sorry it was a little depressing but I hope you enjoyed the happy ending!
Have fun reading the other entries!
xoxo, Miper
Always happy to trade! Don't be shy!
Miper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Niragi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Purest kind of hate~

Children have always taken a liking to dogs, especially small pups or big dogs with fluffy fur, which they could run their hands through and enjoy the feeling of their warmth beneath their tiny little fingers. There are many types of dogs, hundreds even, and among them, there is one only legend tells of~
    The holly dog

One stormy night, one of those young children dared to misbehave and entered the forest near the mountains in a small village in northern Canada. It was snowing heavily and the child got lost too easily to notice its mistake. Lonely. Scared. It feared not only the nighttime slowly approaching, but also the dangerous growls coming from the distance. The darkness surrounded the young being soon after, wrapping around the trees like a cloak around it’s master. The child cried out for help, yet the parents were not aware that their beloved little one has left their safe home.

A growl. Another one. The child started shaking.
    All it saw was the red eyes of a wolf like figure between the trees. Slowly approaching the child. Time stopped. Only the sound of the snow slowly falling and settling on the leaves and on the ground could be heard. It was a deafening silence.

The figure slowly stepped out of the shadows. The child stared at it with wide-opened eyes in fear as it took the opponents appearance in. It was a dog as huge as a wolf, with snow white fur, almost as if trying to hide in its environment, with red eyes, the colour of ripe strawberries that the young human loved so dearly. However, the most surprising part were it’s wings. Looking like the leaves of a holly plant, sharp edges all around it, as if to cut apart whatever stands in its way. The little child has only heard of the legend, however, legends are said to carry a part of truth in them.

Slowly backing away, the child turned around and ran in the opposite direction of where the dog stood at. Tears rolling down it’s cheek. Faster and faster. The human ran as fast as its tiny legs could carry him. Until it stood in front of his home. Safety, the child thought and ran into the arms of his parents, who have noticed the sudden disappearance of their loved one a while earlier.

Meanwhile in the dark and cold forest, sat a lonely dog. Wondering why every child he wanted to play with left him and ran away as if they feared him. Yet he knew the answer, he was chosen as the guardian of the forest. Whenever in winter a child dared to enter the forest at nighttime, the dog with hollyleaf wings would appear to hinder it from going in deeper into the darkness. Keeping the children from being harmed in any way possible, especially by the other creatures hiding behind the trees.

The lonely dog turned around and walked back to his spot under a small mountain, where he found a cave many thousands of years ago. Sighing, he rested his head on his paws. Holly is toxic, he heard repeatedly in his head. Taught to the children by their parents, holly truly is a poisonous plant, however, the owner of the leafs, the dog in the forest himself, isn’t. The dog only wanted to feel the tiny hands of a child running through his fur softly, however he knew the price the child would pay for that~

The purest things can truly be the deadliest if touched~

(I hope you enjoy reading, I don’t know if I went overboard oops, I just came up with this idea and I guess I’ve liked writing it so much that I ended up writing a bit too much ;u;)

Niragi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Smaug The Dragon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:19 pm

So I can not seem to find my post. If you find it, please PM me the page, thank you! ^^ So here we go:
CURRENTLY A WIP!

Twas a dark, and snowy day. It was Christmas eve. It was in a town, called Merryvile. A place where everyone was merry. But not one... Many in this town were excited for Christmas. Many had the day off. Except for Kinira. A male brown and black dog working his tail offer for hours. He walked over to his boss. A male white dog, not Holly. He approached the while dog with hesitation. "S-sir...?" He said with a stutter in his voice. "I have done what you requested. M-may I go home now...?" He pleaded.
Holly looked up from his books, and stared at Kinira with a sharp stare. "What?" He snapped. Kinira pinned back his ears and backed down. Holly stood from his desk, and walked over to Kinira. The floor creaking under his paws as he walked over. Holly shook his head.
He sat in front of Kinira. Holly hovered over Kinira with a sharp look in his eyes. Holly chuckled a bit. "You dare ask me if you can go home?" "Y-yes sir. It's Christmas eve, and my family are coming home today. We're having a big feast and-" "ENOUGH!" Holly snapped.
"No one, and I mean NO ONE asks to leave early here." Holly barred his teeth at Kinira. "S-sorry sir..." "Good."
The door bell jingled. A dog walked in. "Uncle Holly!" A young, grey dog walked in, full of the Christmas spirit. He smiled brightly,
and looked at the scared Kinira, and Holly hovering over him like an alpha dog. "Uncle...? Why are you making your poor workers work so hard today? It's Christmas eve! Have some holiday spirit! : D" "GAH!" Holly said, and stormed back over to his books.
"Kinira, right?" The grey dog asked. "Yes. You must be..." "Scan. I'm Holly's nephew." "Oh. Well, he's never mentioned you before."
Scan looked at Holly with a confused look, and back at Kinira. "Why don't you take the rest of the day off? Have some fun! It's Christmas eve! Go meet your family!" Scan smiled at Kinira. He smiled back. "T-thank you sir!" He opened the door with his muzzle,
and was stopped by Scan. "And take this too!" He tossed some gold to Kinira. "Kinira caught it with his mouth, eyes wide. "Thank you so much!" "Merry Christmas, Kinira!" "You too Scan!" And he left, the door shutting behind him.
-To be continued...-
TH - Discord: That Nerd Mel#3399 - They / Them
Smaug The Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me