CHALLENGE ONLY YOURSELF [325 Store Pets] RESULTS

Find a competition to enter your artwork in, or create an art competition for others!
Forum rules
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

What do you think about this art contest?

I am thinking about entering.
33%
I don't know if I will find time to enter.
16%
I will not enter the contest.
2%
I like the prizes offered.
25%
I don't find the prizes interesting.
No votes
I think this is a unique contest.
22%
I don't understand how this contest is any different from others.
1%

Total votes : 139

Re: CHALLENGE ONLY YOURSELF [325 Store Pets] RESULTS

Postby Metax » Sun May 07, 2023 3:03 am

Asvoria wrote:
Vully-the-vulpix wrote:This was really fun
Thank you for doing this
If possible I would love to hear my point score and your commentary on it as well as any advice you have on how I can improve

Yes, sure!
Would you like this via Pm or is it fine for you if I post your scores and comments here in public?

i'd also like to know my scoring, if possible n-n here would be okay!
║█
║█
║█
║█
║█
║█
║█
┌──────────┐

𝓫𝔀 𝓱𝓸𝓪𝓻𝓭
[ 52,000! ]

└──────────┘
░░░░░░░░░░░░░

𝓶𝓮𝓽𝓪𝔁 𝓼𝓱𝓮/𝓱𝓮𝓻
─────────────

Hiya! I'm trying to complete my
pet collection. c:

On hiatus!

║█
║█
║█
║█
║█
║█
║█
░░░░░░
𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐬xx
[ no stores/URs ]

✧ | dogs - 22

everything else is
finished!

Metax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vully-the-vulpix » Sun May 07, 2023 3:26 am

Asvoria wrote:
Thank you for doing this
If possible I would love to hear my point score and your commentary on it as well as any advice you have on how I can improve

Yes, sure!
Would you like this via Pm or is it fine for you if I post your scores and comments here in public?

I have no problem with it being public :D
These are the things that I have found in varied forgotten places that speak to my heart and have stuck with me even when I can no longer recall there source
  • We're all stories, in the end.(Just make it a good one, eh?)
  • You Don't Have To Be Mad To Live Here But It Helps!!
  • Be brave, be kind, and always get back up.
  • Hard things we can do right away. Impossible things may take a bit longer
  • Better to die saving lives, than to live with taking them
  • Everything ends, and it's always sad. But everything begins again too, and that's always happy
  • What Earthlings meant, when they said, "It can't be done", was not that a thing was impossible. It was that they had not yet figured out how to achieve it, and were inviting everyone around them to prove them wrong
  • if someone says it's raining, and another person says it's dry, it's not your job to quote them both. your job is to look out the window and find out which is true.
  • the prejudices people feel about each other disappear when they get to know each other
  • He is human, finite, mortal, and therefore limited. At times I wonder if he is aware of this.
  • Stuff happens. But don't forget to live.
  • Hope and grace and the ways of living out and beyond the ways of surviving.
  • Everything comes with a cost or conversely, everything comes with a reward. It depends on how you see things, and where you're looking from
Vully-the-vulpix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nira. » Sun May 07, 2023 3:32 am

Congratulations to everyone and thank you for hosting this competition, it was a blast! ❤
    I would also love to receive feedback/commentary and any improvement tips/ideas you might have for me (preferably via PM) if possible c:
Nira.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby moomooaulait » Sun May 07, 2023 4:15 am

Congrats everyone! It was super fun <3 I'd prefer my score breakdown to be pm'ed if thats alright!
I'm new here and still learning, so if I do something wrong lemme know!

I have a C$ store, and I pay C$ for WL pets! I also have an art shop!
moomooaulait

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Sun May 07, 2023 5:11 am

Vully-the-vulpix wrote:
Asvoria wrote:
Thank you for doing this

Yes, sure!

I have no problem with it being public :D

Alright, then I'll start with yours!

SOCRING for Vully-the-vulpix

Skill Improvement: 6/10
    ────────────────»
    You've gone a great way to document your process, and it really helped me find out how you came to the final design. Compared to your previous artworks, you have shown a much cleaner line style and especially improved detail on your artwork. I can see that you have thought through the anatomy of a dog and were mindful of the colouring, which is also more detailed than in your other artworks (especially the green strands). Also the anatomy has definitely done a leap forward!

Character Portrait: 6/10
    ────────────────»
    When I first glanced at your entry, I could immediately tell that you've tried to depict Azrael. I think you've got the three main characteristics down, which are the metal armour, green stranded hairs and the main theme of him being black, which made you score good points. Other than that, the idea of turning his armour into a collar is a great idea for a dog-themed picture and having him wear multiple yellow atomic symbols (god knows why my teenage self came up with that design) is also very suitable to his character! I would however have liked him to have some sort of representation of his scars or stitched areas, if not some interpretation of the feathers he wears around his necklace.

Artwork Setup: 3/10
    ────────────────»
    You have scored points for depicting the character in fullbody style and have coloured it completely, but other than that have received a rather low rating, due to any other additional details missing in your composition. This includes having very little to no shading (except for one hind leg) and no surrounding features, such as some sort of foreground (some ground detail) or even plainly coloured background.

Improvement Suggestion
    ────────────────»
    I think that you're definitely on the right track with all the steps that you have done to prepare for your contest entry and that with every new drawing you compose, your skills will get better. I suggest looking at some basic anatomy tutorials (how to create animals by using plain shapes) and to get a general feeling of how animals move and are built by selecting a definite reference and trying to copy the detail and anatomy. When I was a beginner in art, I traced a reference I liked multiple times, then blocked in the basic shapes and once I understood how the dimensions came together, I tried drawing the same pose without tracing. This method definitely helps at the beginning to quick improvements! Other than that, try to be a bit more clean with your colouring and aim to leave as little white space as possible. I find it helpful to cover the same area with a coloured pencils by multiple angles, so that the strokes overlap. You'll get a brighter colour and a crisper atwork that way. So yeah, I hope this helps on your artistic journey! <3
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Direbolt » Sun May 07, 2023 5:16 am

Congratulations everyone! ♡

I would also like to know what my scoring was, either here or PM is fine, thank you!
Direbolt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Sun May 07, 2023 5:39 am

Metaxmorphose wrote:
Asvoria wrote:
Thank you for doing this

Yes, sure!

i'd also like to know my scoring, if possible n-n here would be okay!

And you're next!

SOCRING for Metaxmorphose

Skill Improvement: 8/10
    ────────────────»
    Although you wrote that you don't do any artwork any more, it's especially impressive how you managed to gather your skills and come up with a drawing that out shadows your oekaki gallery! I think you have gone from simplistic, rather flat coloured artworks to a more detailed drawing, which I think shows that you've pushed your skills. One major improvement was the introduction of a background, with the others only being plainly blended or plainly one colour, whilst especially the lightning awestruck me there! Secondly the dynamic poses, which I seldom found in your gallery, if not being the only artwork that shows an interaction between two characters! So I thought this jump deserved a good amount of points and here we are ;)

Character Portrait: 8/10
    ────────────────»
    Although showing rather small fullbodies in comparison to the drawing size, I think you've sqeezed in a good level of detail there! The characters being instantly recognized, I like the playful ambience here and I think it suits them really well! You've really shown off Taylor and her beautiful tiger coat, whilst somehow making it all really simplistic, just as you have done with Hurricanes dapples being just a blended coat, which is fine! Small critique here is that Hurricane is having the wrong eye colour (should be green) and his necklace being completely missing (a mistake which quite a few participants did, to be fair).

Artwork Setup: 8/10
    ────────────────»
    You have drawn two characters in fullbody display, one of them having wings, with both of them portraying a dynamic interaction and rather difficult poses, which earned you a good amount of points. Additionally, you composed a background with colours and hues being well matched, so that the sunset feeling really coming through and reflecting on the characters, as well as the foreground. The detail in the background and characters is good, just some of the bolder strokes of the grass could have been softer, as they clash with the fluffy clouds and guide the focus away from the characters. Another reason why I didn't give 9 points is due to the missing lightning reflections, which I have found on your other artworks but couldn't find being implemented here other than the eyes.

Improvement Suggestion
    ────────────────»
    Firstly, keep on drawing! I know sometimes it is hard to pick up the pencil, especially if other artworks lack the quality that you have had in mind, but just try to make it something that helps you feel better or is even a cherished hobby. Later on you'll regret if you just stopped doing it, I'll promise, haha. I can see that you are already underway of drawing more things and especially backgrounds, so I'll focus on the latter with my suggestions: When working with backgrounds, try to keep the detail level in mind. Especially with your "simplistic" outline and colouring style, blended and soft backgrounds with a minimal detail effort can already look very great. For example, if you had blended the grass a bit more and just used a softer tip to raise some light green or darker grass blades from the area, you would have managed the illusion of there being grass, without drawing alot of details. As long as you keep the background without any lines, those smaller details will not catch the eye of the viewer as much as the bolder blots of grass in your entry did ;) <3
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IRONEYES » Sun May 07, 2023 5:45 am

Congrats everyone! And thank you so much for hosting this contest <3

Since you've taken the time to score us, I would also love to know what you thought, either here or through PM, I don't mind. I'd really appreciate having the chance to receive feedback to get an idea on what worked and what didn't :)
IRONEYES

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alphanea » Sun May 07, 2023 6:09 am

hey congrats everyone! this was a really interesting contest to be a part of.

i, too, would love to get a breakdown if it isn't too much trouble, either through pm or a post here would work with me, thank you so much for everything you've done ^^
... . .

toyhouseartshop
xxxxxxx───────────
( they them ) ..
xxxxahoy there, wanderer, i'
m alphie (formerly ash), i'm
an adult freelance artist, ro
leplayer
and generally a ner
d about all things fantasy. i
enjoy dark/gothic aesthetic
s, queer pairings, dragons
and myths.

───────────

x ─── x
═════════
Image───
Image ▔ ▔
▔▔▔ Image
▔▔▔▔▔▔
x══════════════════════════════════
alphanea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woodchip » Sun May 07, 2023 5:40 pm

Thank you so much for hosting! I absolutely loved the concept of this contest.
I would love to know what the point score and commentary for my art piece is. It would also be great if I could get some tips on how I could improve if you have the time! Either here or pm is fine with me <3
Woodchip

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me