Signing Off: A Signature Fanclub - Come Join!

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Signing Off: A Signature Fanclub - Come join!

Postby skywalker, » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 am

Any Critique on my new Signature?
sky | she/her | adult | star wars

skywalker,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby joji » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am

@gods
does it look better now?
joji

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gods » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:25 am

@ode yes ! it looks very nice c:

@vixy i like the paleness of the cat pictures a lot, the colors are very nice & warm, plus theyre super cute <3
    the gray text doesnt seem to go as much since the pictures are very warm
    perhaps try using a color pallet generator for one ?

oliver/noll - he/him
gods

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby i quit. » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:58 am

any critque on my signature?
quitting
i quit.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Image Permission Policy

Postby Goostarion » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Image Permission Policy
    Just going to update a few things. There was a bit of confusion from when I posted this here a while ago: x
    This being because I really did not know the overall permission factor for specific image use and such ( I only used official or stuff I made so this was new for me and I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused from this,) so I asked CS mods through the help system.
    This was the conversation:
    Me wrote:Recently, there has been a slight concern within the Signature community about Permission for image usage and otherwise, with there being a lot of confusion as to what is usable and what is not in referral to permission.

The questions I am being asked are somewhat the following:
    - Is permission for an artworks image mandatory if that artwork was done by a specific artist? (Aka an OC character done by an artist, but the artwork belongs to the owner of the OC)
    - Is permission for an artwork that is fanart of another image that the artist has not said anything about not using the image required?
    - Is permission for an artwork mandatory 110% for signatures?

So the question is, is permission from the artist required for signatures as part of CS rules? And if you can, would you also be able to answer all of the questions that were listed above as well?

I have no idea on the overall rules on CS about permission for image use on CS in general beyond crediting an artist with the image and I want to double check on things before people get the wrong idea.

Thank you so much to whoever answers. And apologies for the long question. c:

The answer is the following:

Several green mods wrote:Hi there,

After some discussions with staff I would say the following would apply;

1. We understood your first question to mean whether you needed permission to use an image you have commissioned of an OC. Since most artists who sell commissions understand these images will eventually be used somewhere (and would probably appreciate being advertised and acknowledged), we believe a credit/link back to the original artist is needed.

2. If it is fan art (not official art) that you did not commission for your own use and it is not specifically stated that it IS free to use, permission is needed.

3. Yes. Signatures are not exempt from copyright law or site rules.

We hope that helps :)

This means.
    If you did not commission any art, you must get art permission from the artist who drew that art before you use it. (If it is not official or owned by you or stated to be free to use otherwise. This would include a lot of Tumblr Gifs for instance.)

However, if you did get commissioned art, you don't need permission for it's manipulation usage since technically you own the rights to it and it's usage. A credit link is fine.

I am not really here to enforce this, but I did ask this to the mod help system 7 days ago and got a reply just now.

Just to add from personal experience, there is an exception to the crediting as well. If you need to give art credit to a user but they have a non CS appropriate image in close radius to the link you need to show for credit, you must send a help ticket and let the mods know that you cannot link the artist as there is inappropriate stuff on that page. They will then inform you that you can just use that artist's name instead. Why I say let the mods know is because then it will be on record that you did chase it up and therefore if someone reports you for incorrectly giving art credit, you have evidence to show that yes; you did inquire on giving art credit, but not being able to due to these circumstances.

I hope this clears everything up. There have been some incorrect reports of art theft and such happening due to many different reasons, and I do hope this helps clear that up.
Auron wrote:
    Tumblr Gif added on Explaination. (Part of a PM conversation I had with gods)

Ok, so with the example of Tumblr gifs, this is a variant.
    If someone recorded the gif and made it into a set from a canon source, for example this one here: [x] And it has no credit or nothing stating otherwise with it's usage and whichever, this one would technically be free to use (With credit) as the copyright would be from an official source. [In this case Square Enix and Final Fantasy 7]

(Which a lot of people do use these kinds of gifs for their signatures. And also, this rule seems to correspond with Tumblr's image uploading policies, which is why the gif thing they have now is a thing because once you upload an image onto Tumblr, Tumblr owns the rights to that image as they are hosting the image, and therefore allow it to be free to use for any individual for any purpose, (While Tumble gives credit to the user who created it), which due to the various array of debate surrounding this feature Tumblr has it can be wrong in some cases but is also correct in some cases, this image link I showed above as an example of this policy being a correct case of image usage since he person who recorded this image does not actually own the video / trailer themselves and therefore it is a free to use (With credit at most) rather than permission.)

However, if the individual has done some sort of edit to the image that they made from an official source, such as this one here: [x] They would need to ask the user who created this image for their permission so they can use it. So a Permission with credit combo here.

That is my understanding of it.

So. If someone uses an image which is of the above for their signature, aka this link. [x] and someone else uses the same gif set, both people have the right to use it and it will not be classed as copying and such.

But if both people use the same editted gifs, such as these ones: [x] They both must have permission from the original poster before usage.

That is for the image itself.

I am going to use one of gods signature images for explaination here. (Permission for use given in PM)
    If someone uses this exact image that you have, and you can prove that you created it, you can report the other person for art theft over this, because this is your gif from numerous free sources / numerous sources with permission. No one else can use this combination of images. No one can use this image, edit it and promote it as part of their sig without asking you first. This is your image. c:

But.

They can use the image overlay if they find it without the ink drop in the gun or they can use the ink drop gif in something else. (If both are official, have credit or permission where necessary etc etc.)

As you can see here, I have used ink drop here before. But you have as much right to use this as I did, so there is no problems and no one is copying anyone else and such with styles and hoo haa.

I hope that explains absolutely everything. Feel free to PM me if I fumbled somewhere because I am sure have somehow.
Last edited by Goostarion on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I am on mobile.
Current mood: Casually being able to talk to the country's parliament is fascinating.
Don’t you want to see a highlight?
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Azh » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:53 pm

anchor wrote:any critque on my signature?

The images are pretty nice, but might look better if you rounded the corners on the sides a bit. Really like the little text bubble though. Pretty cute saying.

I just made a new one today, and its different than what I've been doing. Any thoughts?
Azh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:24 pm

xxx
    tai. wrote:
      @anchor and @ode.
      oh, uhm.. on the front page Irisidium states that you pm them about user changes. Just a reminder c;
      [size=50]hope this isn't minimoding... orz

Thanks, yep this is true!

Gentle reminder that if you guys do need stuff changed on the member's list, to PM me.
    There may be some upcoming switch around with the first posts, but we'll be sure to clear up who you should be PMing if and when that happens!

Also thanks for clearing that up, Auron. Some valuable sig information there!

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wolf song. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Quick question;
how big is the trade rules box?

──

──
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

THIS IS ! THIS IS ! THIS IS

┏━━━━━━━━━━━
Hi, I'm Wolf and Halloween is my favorite
holiday, so I thought I would make a little
sig to reflect my feelings twards it. Lets s
ee, a bio... I am in the marching band (A
lto Saxophone) and I want to be an Archit
ect/Musician when I grow up. I am always
open to working hard to achieve somethin'
amazing! It's Football Marching Season.

━━━━━━━━━━━┛

HAIL TO THE PUMPKIN KING
wolf song.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goostarion » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 am

♔♕Ɯσℓғ➽Ƨσиɢ♕♔ wrote:
Quick question;
how big is the trade rules box?

700 - 800 px wide. (I can fit a 750 px width image into the space. Of course, this is without coding.)
    Endless pixels long.

Irisidium wrote:

xxx Also thanks for clearing that up, Auron. Some valuable sig information there!

You're welcome. I will be adding onto the post later on to clarify a few things.
I am on mobile.
Current mood: Casually being able to talk to the country's parliament is fascinating.
Don’t you want to see a highlight?
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wolf song. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:14 am

Guys.... (pants for air) I am making my first trade rules ever!
how does it look?
oh, and does it look the same when you go to trade me?

──

──
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██