Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby polerberr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Yeah, I'm really excited for Dead Men Tell No Tales!

I know a lot of people don't like the sequels of Pirates of the Caribbean. Personally, I love the first three and see them as a trilogy, and I kind of ignore that the fourth one exists. I didn't like what they did with Barbossa's character (one of my favorites), and I just don't see a point in a Pirates movie without Will and Elizabeth. I think it should have been treated as more of a spin-off than a legit sequel.

Dead Men Tell No Tales looks great, though. I don't know how much has been officially revealed other than the single trailer, so without saying too much, it looks like it'll stick closer to the original movies rather than being a continuation of the fourth. Super excited to see Javier Bardem as a creepy ghost... pirate... thing... I have no idea.

I hope my cinema will do a Pirates marathon... They do that with prequels sometimes. I remember going to a Hobbit marathon at my cinema where they played the first two movies before midnight, and the very last movie at midnight exactly because that was the very day that the movie was released, so you literally see the movie as soon as it's legally allowed to be shown. :lol: Not to mention that the country I lived in had the earliest public release date (before even New Zealand and USA, which is really weird because my country is usually a few weeks late).
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Puzzles101 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:14 am

Actually, in Dead Men Tell No Tales, Will Turner does come back, but sadly not Elizabeth. Will returns as the person he becomes in the third movie, as a Captain, and Barbossa returns as well. I heard the fifth movie will be a stand alone, probably just like the fourth one.
Puzzles101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Puzzles101 wrote:Actually, in Dead Men Tell No Tales, Will Turner does come back, but sadly not Elizabeth. Will returns as the person he becomes in the third movie, as a Captain, and Barbossa returns as well. I heard the fifth movie will be a stand alone, probably just like the fourth one.

I can live with just Will and not Elizabeth, so long as we get some kind of an explanation of what happened to her after the third movie and where she is now. Think they'd kill her off? It just occurred to me that they might write her off as dead to avoid having to come up with a good reason for why she's not in the movie, haha.

I'm not sure how they can bring back Will and Jack and make it a stand alone, though? I guess they'll be more side-characters than main characters.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Puzzles101 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Yep, there is a new villain along with two other mentioned side characters. Forgot their names though.
Puzzles101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:54 pm

If you consider casting to be spoilers, skip the rest of my post.

I just checked out the cast on IMDb and... well... I don't know how to feel.

So Gibbs is making a return, which is great because Gibbs is great. However... No Pintel and Ragetti?!?! wth?! They're staple comedic duo characters. This is highly unacceptable.

There's also the weirdest casting... Paul McCartney... Wat?

Marty will be back too, but no Cotton or anyone else from the old crew. It's just so weird.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:48 am

Well, since we're talking about upcoming movies now (and I haven't seen any new movies lately anyway), I guess I'll just mention the ones I'm looking forward to/intend to see at some point.

#1 is your name., an anime movie that's been getting a lot of buzz. It's supposed to get a wide release in America in April, I think.

I do want to see Moana at some point, although if I see it in theaters it will definitely be a matinee and just so I can better appreciate the gorgeous animation.

Also want to see Arrival once it comes out on video (scifi about a linguist trying to interpret an alien language sounds right up my alley). Probably watch Hidden Figures on video too.

I did see Sully recently! It was enjoyable, if not quite my cup of tea (I'm thinking Eastwood just isn't my style). The most interesting element is probably the structure of the story as a biopic of sorts.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:32 am

Your Name came out in my country a while ago, but it got a limited release, so I haven't seen it. I hope the Klonoa movie gets a wide release...
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:02 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:Your Name came out in my country a while ago, but it got a limited release, so I haven't seen it. I hope the Klonoa movie gets a wide release...

My guess from experience is that it'll get a wide release but a short runtime, unless they somehow manage to generate a lot of hype for it, which might be difficult because it is more on the obscure side when you compare it to other video game movies like the recent Assassin's Creed. I'm basing this on Ratchet and Clank's movie. It ran for a pretty short time but you could see it in just about any theater.

I never managed to see Ratchet and Clank because they only screened it in English for about a week and I missed it. After that it was just the dubbed to Dutch versions for the kids. /:
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Puzzles101 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:26 am

Captain Peregrin wrote:Also want to see Arrival once it comes out on video (scifi about a linguist trying to interpret an alien language sounds right up my alley). Probably watch Hidden Figures on video too.

Yeah, I actually want to see Hidden Figures once it comes out. I personally want to see what comes up in it, but I don't know what, specifically.
Puzzles101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm

polerberr wrote:
Nitro Indigo wrote:Your Name came out in my country a while ago, but it got a limited release, so I haven't seen it. I hope the Klonoa movie gets a wide release...

My guess from experience is that it'll get a wide release but a short runtime, unless they somehow manage to generate a lot of hype for it, which might be difficult because it is more on the obscure side when you compare it to other video game movies like the recent Assassin's Creed. I'm basing this on Ratchet and Clank's movie. It ran for a pretty short time but you could see it in just about any theater.

I never managed to see Ratchet and Clank because they only screened it in English for about a week and I missed it. After that it was just the dubbed to Dutch versions for the kids. /:

Those are based on western video games, though. Klonoa is Japanese, and the only game that sold decently well, contrary to popular belief, was the first one.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me