Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby Silverhart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 am

I also have to add my voice to the 'dislikes Chosen One stories' crowd, though like Captain Peregrin wrote it can be pulled off well. Just like any trope.

While I don't think they're the best examples 'Harry Potter's use of the Chosen One trope was subtle enough that it worked, and 'Narnia's use of it also comes across well. 'The LEGO movie' used this trope to fantastic effect. You see this trope a lot in children and family films, because children like to imagine being important and special. They identify with characters who are 'Chosen', because they also like the idea of being considered just as important and capable. As a kid that idea can be empowering, as well as fun.

What I find far more interesting and don't see nearly enough of is the different takes on this trope. Instead of relying on it as a crutch to make a random character important, it's used to far greater effect when you explore the reasons for one being chosen, or the consequences that arise because of it. Or subvert it entirely by having the Chosen One fail. Again 'The LEGO Movie' is probably the film that explored this best in recent years, at least that I can think of.

Perhaps it's just the style of modern live-action movies, you dislike Nitro Indigo? I know I haven't seen many recent live-action movies that catch my eye, but I still enjoy older films, and the live-action movies I grew up with.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:I don't like idea of Chosen Ones because it makes it seem like everyone's expecting one person to do all the world-saving instead of them making a change by themselves. I mean, you can get away with everyone relying on the protagonist in a video game, but not everywhere else...

Speaking of video games, there's a Klonoa movie coming out soon. I honestly thought it was a joke at first, since Klonoa was dead.

I had to look up what klonoa is. It looks like Sonic the Hedgehog meets Felix the Cat. What kind of game is it?
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Maybe it's because live-action movies tend to be longer? And I prefer stories that are unrealistic, regardless of the medium, with a few exceptions.

One realistic story I do like is Wonder, and there's a movie coming out in April.

EDIT: Apparently the Klonoa movie's going to be in Phantomilan (ie: gibberish)? Interesting choice...
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:59 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:EDIT: Apparently the Klonoa movie's going to be in Phantomilan (ie: gibberish)? Interesting choice...

That's an interesting choice indeed. A challenge for the animators and writers to tell a story without real speech, and a big risk that the audience won't enjoy it (get bored / can't connect).

That said, I preferred all those Lego console games (Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Lego Star Wars, etc.) when the characters communicated in gibberish over when they started placing actual dialogue into the games.

On an unrelated note, A Series of Unfortunate events just came out on Netflix in the form of a series. I never read the books, but I've seen the movie with Jim Carey and I always really enjoyed it, even though it wasn't the best.

The series on netflix has some serious Wes Anderson vibes going on. The costumes and props are pretty much ripped off from the movie, though. I'm not sure what the deal is with that, but do a Google Image search for Count Olaf and you'll see how both Jim Carey and Niel Patrick Harris look pretty much the same. Maybe the book just gave a really good description of the character that's hard to deviate from?

I think it's a good show, though. I'd reccomend it because of it's humor. The narrator is so dry, which is exactly what I love. I imagine the books are fantastic if they're anything like the series? I'm reminded of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchet.

(I realise this is the film discussion thread, but some shows have such high production value that the only difference between them and a movie is the fact that there's more hours of footage and it's devided into shorter parts.)
Last edited by polerberr on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:04 am

But there's a difference between having a video game in gibberish and a film in gibberish, because video games are a medium that requires reading. Video games are the medium that requires the most suspension of disbelief, I just realised.

I tried reading A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I got bored, and I don't have Netflix.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:09 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:But there's a difference between having a video game in gibberish and a film in gibberish, because video games are a medium that requires reading. Video games are the medium that requires the most suspension of disbelief, I just realised.

What kind of reading?

The older Lego games don't place text to translate the gibberish or anything, so it's all based on body language and tone/pitch. Similar to the horses in Spirit, actually, where very little of the communication is ever actually speech.

So, maybe if it worked for Spirit, it can work for Klonoa? Or do you think they'll add subtitles?
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:32 am

polerberr wrote:
Nitro Indigo wrote:EDIT: Apparently the Klonoa movie's going to be in Phantomilan (ie: gibberish)? Interesting choice...

That's an interesting choice indeed. A challenge for the animators and writers to tell a story without real speech, and a big risk that the audience won't enjoy it (get bored / can't connect).

That said, I preferred all those Lego console games (Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Lego Star Wars, etc.) when the characters communicated in gibberish over when they started placing actual dialogue into the games.

On an unrelated note, A Series of Unfortunate events just came out on Netflix in the form of a series. I never read the books, but I've seen the movie with Jim Carey and I always really enjoyed it, even though it wasn't the best.

The series on netflix has some serious Wes Anderson vibes going on. The costumes and props are pretty much ripped off from the movie, though. I'm not sure what the deal is with that, but do a Google Image search for Count Olaf and you'll see how both Jim Carey and Niel Patrick Harris look pretty much the same. Maybe the book just gave a really good description of the character that's hard to deviate from?

I think it's a good show, though. I'd reccomend it because of it's humor. The narrator is so dry, which is exactly what I love. I imagine the books are fantastic if they're anything like the series? I'm reminded of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchet.

(I realise this is the film discussion thread, but some shows have such high production value that the only difference between them and a movie is the fact that there's more hours of footage and it's devided into shorter parts.)

At some point I'm going to get a Netflix subscription so I can watch A Series of Unfortunate Events (and probably Little Witch Academia, too).

I did read A Series of Unfortunate Events back in middle school, and I always thought it would make for an interesting TV series. Glad to hear the new show is making good use of its Lemony Narrator xD I feel like the narration is the most iconic element of the books.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:37 am

polerberr wrote:
Nitro Indigo wrote:But there's a difference between having a video game in gibberish and a film in gibberish, because video games are a medium that requires reading. Video games are the medium that requires the most suspension of disbelief, I just realised.

What kind of reading?

Dialogue boxes.
I suppose a film with dialogue no-one understands would be interesting. I'm now thinking of this silent anime movie called Red Turtle, or something like that.
I'm also thinking of the Did You Know Gaming video about NiGHTS, where one of the people who made that game said in an interview that all the voice acting is in gibberish because speech sounds distorted in a dream.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:17 am

Animation lends itself very well to stories without spoken dialogue. "The Triplets of Belleville", is a fantastic animated film that has almost no dialogue. There's one line in the beginning, one line at the end, and one song at the beginning with lyrics. The rest is all pure music and visuals. "Fantasia" also is purely done with music and visuals, (aside from transitions where the narrator speaks to us), as are countless animated shorts. So if there's a film without dialogue being made I am all in favor.

Not to mention, there's plenty of films from the silent era that don't use dialogue, and they work very well. XP The majority do have title cards with dialogue written on them, but the very best silent films use them sparingly and to great effect.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby holmes221B » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:25 pm

I joined pretty late, but anyways.... Sorry if this seems long......
Username: holmes221B
Favourite Movies:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: I love everything about this trilogy! The music, the scenes, the setting, the characters, the plot. Even though it is long, I enjoyed it. It also includes action, adventure, and comedy! If I was given the chance to remake this trilogy, I wouldn't. I love it as it is. I would watch this trilogy as many times as I want.
The Hobbit Trilogy: This trilogy is another set of movies that I love. Of course, the music, the scenes, the setting, the characters, and the plot are all great! Like The Lord of the Rings, it was long, but I enjoyed it. I love this trilogy as it is. It included action, adventure, and comedy as well! I would watch this trilogy as many times as possible.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Okay, I had to put this one. The movies, especially The Curse of the Black Pearl, were full of comedy. The action and adventure were also great. The characters were also cool, especially Captain Jack Sparrow.
The Aristocats: This movie will always be part of my favourites. I love the cat characters, the music (especially the song "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat") and the plot are great! This movie was also funny!
Men in Black: The Men in Black that is my favourite is the one from the year 1997. Even though there were some gross parts, I enjoyed it. The action was great. It was also comedic!
Least Favourite Movies

The Hunger Games: All three of The Hunger Games movies were my least favourites because I didn't enjoy it as much as other people have enjoyed it. There was a scene that made me sad in the first movie, however, but that was it. The plot wasn't as enjoyable, the setting wasn't as enjoyable, and the characters weren't as enjoyable, in my opinion.
Best Movies Ever Seen

They would have to be my favourites: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit Trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Aristocats, and Men in Black. I enjoyed all of these, and I would watch them so many times!
Worst Movies Ever Seen

I've seen a few pretty bad movies, but I think the ones that were the worst (in my opinion) were all of The Hunger Games movies. I didn't like them at all, especially the characters and the plot.
Favourite Directors:
Gore Verbinski, Rob Marshall, Peter Jackson, Wolfgang Reitherman, and Barry Sonnenfeld
Favourite Actors:
Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman (Rest in Peace), Harrison Ford, Sean Bean, Viggo Mortensen, Luke Evans, and Christopher Lee (Rest in Peace) (Sorry if there are too many, I can't choose!)
Favourite Actresses:
Evangeline Lilly, and Carrie Fisher (Rest in Peace)
Any Film Critics You Follow?: Nope.
Sorry if I joined super late and made this super long! I love films in general!

"Sherlock Holmes. Surely you've heard of me?"

xxImage
Imagexx
- Sherlock Holmes
(Dai Gyakuten Saiban)

holmes221B

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups