Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby polerberr » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Captain Peregrin wrote:
Leopardnight wrote:In reference to The Force Awakens vs. Rogue One, I'm not really sure which I preferred, but I know I like them both for different reasons. I thought while Force Awakens did use a lot of plot elements from A New Hope, I thought it was a good, fun movie and a good first film to begin the new trilogy. I liked Rogue One because it brought a different kind of Star Wars movie that was darker and more intense. I liked it because it threw me a couple curveballs. I'd assume it would go one way, and then it wouldn't. I'm not really sure which of the two I preferred, though.

Speaking as someone who was once heavily entrenched in the Star Wars EU, Rogue One wasn't such a novelty for me. JUST GIVE ME MARA JADE, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

On a more serious note, I wasn't that fond of Rogue One. The stuff with Vader was cool, but I didn't really get into the new characters much (and even the ones that I did care about...). It felt a little pointlessly dark, and the only "hope" at the end is exactly what you knew was coming all along. Maybe it would have worked better if they had tied it a little more to the events of A New Hope. I didn't hate it or anything, I just didn't get really invested.

I actually really liked The Force Awakens! Sure, it repeats a lot of the plot beats from the first movie, but I feel like they needed that framework to get the new story on its feet. I like how it humanizes the storm troopers and even the droids. It just feels like Star Wars, and I'm excited to see where they go with it next.

I just got back from watching Rogue One. Super minor spoilers below.

I think I enjoyed both of the new films equally, just in different ways. It's difficult to compare the two since they serve different purposes.

The introduction was a little boring, I thought. It took a while for me to care about what's going on and for the film to pick up a decent pace. Ultimately, around the last half of the film, I found it really engaging and I honestly cared for the characters. Without giving too much away, I loved Chirrut, the blind character. He was such an interesting inclusion and a lot of fun to watch. I adored the droid. BB8 was too much "the new R2D2". This droid is nothing like the ones we've had before and he/it brought some good laughs into the film.

All of the references to the original trilogy were pretty spot on, however I think some more of the original music could have been included. I did appreciate hearing the Imperial March at the appropriate moments, but there were some great moments to cue the Force theme which never happened, and I was left feeling a little empty. Same goes for the opening part of the film. At first I figured they'd skip the classic introduction all-together, but then the original "in a galaxy far away" text was displayed and I really thought it was going to happen... And then it didn't. Again, left feeling empty. I always love seeing the Star Wars logo zoom up and hearing the famous music. It makes it feel really exciting. It wouldn't really have been appropriate for this film, but then I wish they hadn't made it seem like they were going to do it. Just leave it out completely or go for it. Pick one. No?

One thing which I have mixed feelings about is Tarkin, the guy who works for Darth Vader who was in the original films. The actor who played him is long dead, so obviously they couldn't ask for him to pop back. They could have gone for a new actor, but I appreciate that they didn't. That said, the CGI recreation of his face was... unnerving. I'm not sure if it was something which worked for his character or distracted from the film. I found it incredibly noticeable.

All in all, I think it's a great inclusion to the Star Wars franchise. It exceeded my expectations, but that's probably due to the fact that I had incredibly low expectations. When the film was first announced I thought it'd be a sloppily written fanfic-like script to milk the franchise dry. Instead, I feel I got a very well-written and well-produced film to milk the franchise dry. I'm satisfied.

Tomorrow, I'm finally going to watch Moana, and in the evening I'm seeing Assassin's Creed with my boyfriend. He wanted to watch it in the cinema but doesn't like going alone. I don't mind going with him.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 pm

I like Moana because it's goofy in a good way. It sort of reminds me of The Emperor's New Groove TV show (I've never seen the movie), of all things.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leopardnight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 am

polerberr wrote: I loved Chirrut, the blind character. He was such an interesting inclusion and a lot of fun to watch. I adored the droid. BB8 was too much "the new R2D2". This droid is nothing like the ones we've had before and he/it brought some good laughs into the film.

Chirrut and the new droid were probably my favorite characters too. They were very enjoyable to watch, and also very different from other characters.

Nitro Indigo wrote:I like Moana because it's goofy in a good way. It sort of reminds me of The Emperor's New Groove TV show (I've never seen the movie), of all things.

I saw Moana a few days ago and found it very enjoyable! I have to admit the hype exceeded the quality of movie (or at least in my opinion :3) but it still managed to be a fun viewing. The story was fun and exciting and the animation was totally beautiful.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is Mr. Robot? Who is Mr. Robot?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake

xxxxxxxx

Leopardnight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:54 am

Oh, and while I'm not a fan of Chosen Ones, at least Moana is a proactive Chosen One.

I'm not a Star Wars person. I've been in the same room as other people watching Star Wars films, and once tried to make fun of The Phantom Menace, but I haven't tried getting into them yet.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:Oh, and while I'm not a fan of Chosen Ones, at least Moana is a proactive Chosen One.

I'm not a Star Wars person. I've been in the same room as other people watching Star Wars films, and once tried to make fun of The Phantom Menace, but I haven't tried getting into them yet.

WATCH THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Episode V is seriously one of my all-time favorite films.

I heard one of the songs from Moana on Pandora and concluded that the tune was indeed very Hamiltonesque xD I'll probably just end up renting it
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:58 am

This isn't a movie, but one of my least favourite instances of Chosen Ones is Seekers, where the only reason why things happen is because Ujurak said that the spirits said so.

Back on-topic, I think the Star Wars movies might be too long for me...
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:I like Moana because it's goofy in a good way. It sort of reminds me of The Emperor's New Groove TV show (I've never seen the movie), of all things.

Having finally seen Moana, yes I could definitely see the Emperor's New Groove vibe in it. The movie of Emperor's New Groove is fantastic, by the way. If you like the show you'll most likely love the movie, I imagine it'd be fun to see where it all began.

Leopardnight wrote:I saw Moana a few days ago and found it very enjoyable! I have to admit the hype exceeded the quality of movie (or at least in my opinion :3) but it still managed to be a fun viewing. The story was fun and exciting and the animation was totally beautiful.

I haven't experienced any hype for this movie since it's come out. In fact, all I've heard so far is people saying "it was ok/fun", but nothing particularly raving. I really enjoyed it. Oh man, best animation from a Disney classic ever. Period. The water was beautiful, the lava monster thing was awesome... just... blah. The whole film was so pretty to look at.

Nitro Indigo wrote:Oh, and while I'm not a fan of Chosen Ones, at least Moana is a proactive Chosen One.

I'm not a fan of the Chosen One trope either, but for a different reason from it being generally sexist. I just think it's such an incredibly dull concept. I actually don't think being "the chosen one" is special at all. It implies that you just have to be born with the luck of being the chosen one, but don't need any particular qualities because being the chosen one will eventually mold you into something special whether you like it or not.

I'd much rather see a character become extraordinary because they possessed the right qualities and took the right actions.

To take Moana as an example, I think she shouldn't have been called the "chosen one", because her actions, spirit, and ancestry are what made her special. She didn't need the "chosen one" title at all, because she was already awesome just the way that she inherently was. I think if you stripped any mention of being a "chosen one" from the film, it would make a lot more sense, be a lot more relate-able and human, and be a better film as a result.

I also don't like the "chosen one" trope because it does the opposite of inspire me. It makes me feel like, "oh well I'm not the chosen one so I guess I shouldn't even bother trying to be special, if you're chosen then you're chosen and if you're not then you're doomed to not be". Again, if Moana was never referred to as being "chosen", she would be a great inspiration for young girls. She got to where she was with her own wits, not because she was "chosen".

I hope that wasn't too rambly.

To get to my proper opinion of Moana, I loved it. So much. The music, the characters, the scenery, the humor. I think only the plot and some of the writing were what was lacking.

As for Assassin's Creed, it was cool. It had some epic action sequences and most of the stunts were real. You could tell that CGI was held back as much as possible to make everything feel more realistic. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I've never played the games, so I'm really not one to judge. My boyfriend, who does play the games, thought it was pretty good. So I suppose his opinion would hold more value to any fans of the games who are wondering if it's worth watching.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:30 am

I don't like idea of Chosen Ones because it makes it seem like everyone's expecting one person to do all the world-saving instead of them making a change by themselves. I mean, you can get away with everyone relying on the protagonist in a video game, but not everywhere else...

Speaking of video games, there's a Klonoa movie coming out soon. I honestly thought it was a joke at first, since Klonoa was dead.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:12 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:I don't like idea of Chosen Ones because it makes it seem like everyone's expecting one person to do all the world-saving instead of them making a change by themselves. I mean, you can get away with everyone relying on the protagonist in a video game, but not everywhere else...

Speaking of video games, there's a Klonoa movie coming out soon. I honestly thought it was a joke at first, since Klonoa was dead.

Eh, the Chosen One trope isn't inherently bad, just super common right now and hence often misused. There are plenty of stories that use it well (or at least interestingly). Just off the top of my head: Frodo (Lord of the Rings), Aang (Avatar: The Last Airbender), Madoka Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)...and now I realize I couldn't name a single Hollywood movie xD
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:24 am

Does Klonoa count as a Chosen One? It's hard to explain without spoiling the first game.

Back on-topic, I find it really hard to get into live-action movies for some reason.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me