Marvel Discussion and Movie News!

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Marvel: Upcoming/Released Movies + More

Postby Rant » Mon May 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Olavie wrote:
Rant: I don't really like DC very much. They seem so unreal. With Marvel comics, they use real cities, real places. (DC i.e. Metropolis) As for plantes such as Krypton, other life sustaining planets don't really exist so that doesn't matter. I love Black Panther. He's just so awesome. Part of the reason is just that his character is a big cat. And I love animals. :D I have really been meaning to see the Hellboy movies, but I'm waiting till my mom is gone sometime cause she doesn't like us to watch scary movies. Ha. I mean, "scary." Also my movie watch list is getting just tooo long. Maybe sometime I will get like, all the movies ever and just watch TV for all day. :thumbup:

The Hellboy movies are decent, but they're very PG-13. Not that violence and super adult content is a staple of the comic series or anything, but the tone is a lot darker in the comics. There's some unnecessary humor in the movies that really rubs me the wrong way.

And I mean, Marvel is known for using fake locations too, but the thing that really bothers me about DC is that they focus way more on the Superhero than the actual person behind it, and that just leads to huge continuity errors and stuff like that.

Black Panther is cool because he was literally the first black superhero in mainstream media. The first. That's a huge deal, and his entire story is pretty non-caricatured for the time. The lore and religion behind his powers is pretty interesting too. Obviously his stuff isn't being serialized anymore, which is a damn shame in my eyes. I mean, he's not really a big cat, it's more with what the entire Black Panther thing represents rather than the actual animal itself. Even though his name pre-dates the Black Panther Party (which was a party of Black Supremacists in the United States during the '60's) it was kind of a black pride thing that was going on there, which HAD NOT been seen before in comics.

If you like Spiderman, you might want to check out Deadpool. He's not really in movies, but his entire relationship with Spiderman in the comics is really cool.
Rant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hotnoodle101 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Eh, can't really get down on DC for inventing places, Marvel does it constantly as well. I can guarantee you there are no real countries called Wakanda, Latveria, Genosha, or Carnelia. While I harbor no love for DC, there are other reasons. My favorite character is Tony Stark, and I will defend him against pretty much any accusation, generally even if it's correct. What can I say? I love the guy, he's great. Also, please can Peter not unmask? We know what road that goes down, and it is a terrible one. Not to mention Winter Soldier looks like it's already headed for Civil War. Has everybody seen that already? I don't want to spoil.
~A cool exec with a heart of steel~

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

hotnoodle101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lithigos » Tue May 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Rant wrote:Black Panther is cool because he was literally the first black superhero in mainstream media. The first. That's a huge deal, and his entire story is pretty non-caricatured for the time. The lore and religion behind his powers is pretty interesting too. Obviously his stuff isn't being serialized anymore, which is a damn shame in my eyes. I mean, he's not really a big cat, it's more with what the entire Black Panther thing represents rather than the actual animal itself. Even though his name pre-dates the Black Panther Party (which was a party of Black Supremacists in the United States during the '60's) it was kind of a black pride thing that was going on there, which HAD NOT been seen before in comics.
If you like Spiderman, you might want to check out Deadpool. He's not really in movies, but his entire relationship with Spiderman in the comics is really cool.

I love Black Panther's costume (haha, it's a cat DUH). You said exactly what I meant to say, but I was having trouble putting it into words. I spent like, 7 extra minutes just trying to say it right. :P To be honest, I haven't read many Black Panther comics, but I do know enough to know what the heck people are talking about.

hotnoodle101 wrote:Eh, can't really get down on DC for inventing places, Marvel does it constantly as well. I can guarantee you there are no real countries called Wakanda, Latveria, Genosha, or Carnelia. While I harbor no love for DC, there are other reasons. Also, please can Peter not unmask? We know what road that goes down, and it is a terrible one. Not to mention Winter Soldier looks like it's already headed for Civil War. Has everybody seen that already? I don't want to spoil.

Okay, I agree. But who knows? Anyways, my point was that Marvel characters are more realistic. When I finish reading a comic or watching a Marvel movie, I literally feel that if I go to NY, I'll see Spider-man swinging through the city and the Daily Bugle or Oscorp buildings. I really do. And I think he does actually unmask at some point, but then some guy (no spoiler) erases the world's memory of his secret identity. At least in the comics. And remember how he unmasked in the first Amazing Spider-man?
And I reallyyyyyy hope there won't be any civil wars, cause that would be... just... messed up. It would truly break my heart to see a world so devoted to ensuring world peace so divided against itself.
Also. I just found out about M-Day. Have you seen the post-credit scene in Captain America 2? The one with "the twins?" Well, the girl is actually Scarlet Witch, who I just discovered erases all the mutants powers.
!!!!
What will the Marvel Movie's future look like?
We can only wait.
Olavie wrote:"Spider-sleuth, Spider-sleuth, he does whatever a Spider-sleuth... can...
σρєи уσυя єуєѕ, αи∂ fєєℓ αℓινє.
ѕρяєα∂ уσυя ωιиgѕ, αи∂ тαкє fℓιgнт

DeviantArt Instagram Tumblr SoundCloud
I have 3,032 pets.
lithigos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anza » Tue May 06, 2014 4:56 pm

I cant wait for Avengers 2! More Black Widow action! Yay!
costal cowgirl / law student / CS member since 2012
01/2022 UPDATE ---> I've chosen to leave the character community however,
I am keeping my closed species adopts as they mean quite a lot to me
I'm here now mostly for events
✮ ✮ ✮
Anza

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby koolkatkoolkat123 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Yeah the girl is Scarlet Witch and the boy is QuickSilver but of course they can't explain who they are because mutants don't belong to them and any mention of mutants is like a breach of copyright
Wait Scarlet Witch erases the mutants power how does she do that, surely Leech does that
Trying to get back into roleplaying, haven't done it for a while. I like roleplaying wolves but they have to be realistic so no alpha beta delta and especially no healer ranks. I like big cats, horses, cats. I like roleplaying warrior cats. I don't play a lot with human characters unless they're shapeshifters or dragon riders.

So if you have a roleplay that needs more members send me a PM.
koolkatkoolkat123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolvine » Wed May 07, 2014 1:29 am

hotnoodle101 wrote:Eh, can't really get down on DC for inventing places, Marvel does it constantly as well. I can guarantee you there are no real countries called Wakanda, Latveria, Genosha, or Carnelia. While I harbor no love for DC, there are other reasons. My favorite character is Tony Stark, and I will defend him against pretty much any accusation, generally even if it's correct. What can I say? I love the guy, he's great. Also, please can Peter not unmask? We know what road that goes down, and it is a terrible one. Not to mention Winter Soldier looks like it's already headed for Civil War. Has everybody seen that already? I don't want to spoil.

I really, really hope they don't go down the Civil War path. Apart from the fact it's an awful experience for all characters involved, and the fact it could go so easily wrong (like it did in the comics in places) it wouldn't have the same hurt factor that it did in the comics. The relationship between Tony and Steve is very unlikely to move anywhere beyond 'reluctant team mate,' especially considering Joss Whedon's flat out rejection of having them being friends in AOU, saying that "we all want to see them fighting" or words to that effect. Well, to be honest, the relationships between characters is the main reason I think CW wouldn't work in the MCU, because there hasn't been those decades of comics building up friendships and love that is broken down during the dispute. I have to ask where you got the hints towards it in TWS? As far as I can tell, it seems they're gonna go for the Infinity arc for Avengers III, what with hints of the infinity gems and cosmic cubes, not to mention Thanos

Also yes, Tony Stark must be protected at all costs. From himself mostly. Original Sin is going to destroy me.

The Comic-verse of Marvel uses it's fake locations a lot more liberally than the MCU, it's true (Madripoor anyone?) but I see what you're saying; the MCU has done a really good job for the most part of building characters as more than just their superhero identities. The Marvel Movies got DC well and truly beat in this respect. Can't speak for the comics; never touched a DC issue in my life, and I really don't have enough experience with Marvel to draw any sort of intelligent remark.

I know this is unfair on her, since we haven't had her in the movies yet, but I'm really, really upset with the portrayal of Scarlet Witch in the MCU. It seems they've skipped all the character of Wanda and gone straight to her ''crazy" phase. It upsets me. When we only have 2 lady supers in the MCU, it seems extraordinarily unfair to erase her entire personality for the sake of a plotline. And don't even get me started on the whitewashing that's been done.

Speaking of leading ladies, anyone have any confirmation on a possible Ms/Captain Marvel movie? Carol is the bestest and having her springboard of Rhodey (especially since they may or may not be an item in 616 now, holla) would be an excellent way to adapt her origin for the MCU.
Wolvine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hotnoodle101 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:05 am

Oh gods, I love you. Talk comics to me, yes. :D What? No one wants to see them fighting! Please can we just skip to Tony and Steve being creepily close BFFs and everybody living together in the Mansion without any Civil Wars or mindwipes? Is that too much to ask? Can't we just fight Stilt Man and get along? I wouldn't worry much about One More Day spoilers, it's an old arc, and not a very good one at that. Good lord, Original Sin, I'm going to die. Tell Hickman it was his fault. Ah, Madripoor! Unfortunately I don't know much about Wanda beyond that she's been with Vision and Pietro in different universes. Excited for Ant Man, mostly because it might not be Hank! I love Jan, but she has crap taste in guys. (Except for Tony, of course.) I'll PM you about Winter Soldier, don't want to spoil for anyone! I'd love a Carol movie. o.o I hate it when people blame Tony for things, because no matter how ridiculous they are, he will find a way to believe it. (See: Miriam Sharpe.) Ughhhh, don't get me started on Tony Stark. I'm seriously worried he might fall back into drinking if Original Sin goes particularly badly.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

hotnoodle101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cumberbatched » Wed May 07, 2014 6:31 am

I *love* HISHE! Their videos are always hilarious, thanks for linking. ^^

And I agree with you on DC. I do like, however, in the recent Man of Steel, how they made Superman's powers more 'science-y' and explained more in a scientific manner.

As in both, I suppose, Olavie! I cried during Loki's scene (I don't want to spoil it for anyone~) and almost cried during The Winter Soldier's Mind-wipe. Marvel has done a fantastic job with evoking emotion from their viewers.
cumberbatched

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolvine » Wed May 07, 2014 10:01 pm

hotnoodle101 wrote:Oh gods, I love you. Talk comics to me, yes. :D What? No one wants to see them fighting! Please can we just skip to Tony and Steve being creepily close BFFs and everybody living together in the Mansion without any Civil Wars or mindwipes? Is that too much to ask? Can't we just fight Stilt Man and get along? I wouldn't worry much about One More Day spoilers, it's an old arc, and not a very good one at that. Good lord, Original Sin, I'm going to die. Tell Hickman it was his fault. Ah, Madripoor! Unfortunately I don't know much about Wanda beyond that she's been with Vision and Pietro in different universes. Excited for Ant Man, mostly because it might not be Hank! I love Jan, but she has crap taste in guys. (Except for Tony, of course.) I'll PM you about Winter Soldier, don't want to spoil for anyone! I'd love a Carol movie. o.o I hate it when people blame Tony for things, because no matter how ridiculous they are, he will find a way to believe it. (See: Miriam Sharpe.) Ughhhh, don't get me started on Tony Stark. I'm seriously worried he might fall back into drinking if Original Sin goes particularly badly.

comics yes yes yes please talk to me i want to expand my comic knowledge without losing my entire life's savings

aah, to be honest i'm expecting tony to die at the end of Original Sin, because that's the kind of cruel man Hickman is (need i remind you he's the one who wrote the Confession what a terrible man) and it'd be almost the exact flip side to the end result of Civil War, even if steve would be in the right for sure this time. Kinda. Ahhh tony why are you such a mess why can't you deal with things better than erasing the memory of one of your bestest friends. actual disaster tony stark.

also, what's wrong with hank? unless we're talking ults hank (whom i find difficult to defend, and have little liking for) he's a decent guy. sure he messed up with the ultron thing, but he's ok, and certainly has screwed up less than tony has. I think we can all agree that Jan's brief stint was Tony was ill-advised and a mistake for everyone involved.

you know who we should talk about? let's talk about batroc. i love his mcu portrayal (beginnings of his ludicrous crush on cap yes good) but can't help but wish he had been more "ahonhonhon"-ish. batroc is hands down the absolute best villain i will fight anyone who disagrees.
Wolvine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hotnoodle101 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 pm

This is a feel that I know. I just bought a Cap and Iron Man omnibus for free comic book day, and cosplayed Director Stark to the store. Have you read Sympathy for the Devil, or any of thoes early 2000's Ty Stone arcs? I like those ones. Damn you, Hickman! Ugh, what a jerk. I already need so much fix-it. So. Much. Fix-it. Damn it, Tony, you ruined my entire life and I hate you. Let's all just form a prayer circle for Tony Stark's continued, sober life as BFFs with Steve Rogers. Ughghghh, Hank. I just really hate him. In ults obviously, because he's a jerk with pretty much no redeeming qualities, but in all other universes I've seen him in because while he doesn't, you know, bury her in ants or anything, he's still always really annoying. Plus Ultron, and that one time he backhanded Jan, even though they've retconned the crap out of it. But wow do I love Jan. <3 Do you ship anyone with Tony? Stony is my otp, as you may be able to tell, but I ship him with pretty much any tall, muscular blond dude excepting Hank Pym and Hawkeye, who I first experienced as being shorter than him, and also who questions his sobriety too much. :/ We should most certainly talk about Batroc. He was a little too serious in the movie, I thought.I did miss all the 'ahonhonhon.' Batroc is great. More villains like Batroc. Less introducing both Shannon Carter and Crossbones in the same movie. And that electron scrambler.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

hotnoodle101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me