"The" Rares List Guide - Do not ask about new UR's!

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: "The" Rares List Guide - Do not ask about new UR's!

Postby Lya » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:42 am

You all got a point, but there's one big problem: It's all speculation.
Unless a pet changed rarity at some point, there is NO saying how rare it is, therefore it would be redundant to add VRs based on the assumption that it could be rarer than a pet that's already on the list.

To get to a working basis for a rarity only list, it's easiest to just look at the pets that are on this list first. Sort them going by the proven rarity we have and then we can go from there. Discussion about which pets to add after that, I'd personally like to happen... after that. And then, if there is a pet the community wants to discuss... there wouldn't be much place for discussion. Because there would be one thing to answer for all of those: "Do you have prove that it's rarer than a pet that's on this list?" And if the answer is "no", then it would not be added.
Of course this leads to a high chance of inaccuracy, but adding all VR pets would be a bit over the top, right?
(I would still opt for at least one post somewhere at the end of the new guide to trace any VR fluctuations, because the Rarity Changes Archive isn't being updated anymore.)

Edit: Scrap that last sentence. Since the rarity changes archive hasn't been updated for more than three years, I'm going to PM Nadine about the possibility of re-doing it with only the VR+ changes.

Edit 2: A few hours later and I think I managed to get the upper half of the current list into order and caught all the fluctuations up to and down from omgsr. xD
Last edited by Lya on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ThunderCedar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:14 am

Can i just say i remember you got the rats along with the space/constellation cats so "not many people adopted it because they don't like rats" isn't really a valid reason i think?
let me go check a minute the discussion thread to make sure im not wrong.

yep. checked. you could also get one of the 3 constellation cats.
the trade-in for them cost 3 tokens, which cost 2 tokens each, which cost 3 tokens each so that's probs why.
ᔱ ᔲ ᔳ ᔴ
ThunderCedar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:39 am

You know I wonder if trading would really be harmed if the admins were to publish those active circulation numbers. Like would it really harm trading? I mean we literally have mega corporations regularly publishing sales volume of all their stuff. You can look up how many X Boxes or Playstations were sold and it doesn't really affect the market for consoles. It just shows how well they are doing with what they make. And it would make trading alot easier (or harder depending on the numbers). I imagine you won't see demand surges much anymore on regular rares. And very rares that are new but less available would have more fair treatment and not discarded as a "silly rare".

I would really like to know just how rare an August PPS Lion is. And not just a comment saying its "not old enough".
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kee; » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:52 am

Instead of the numbers being available, would the admins ever be able to look at the numbers, and without telling us what they actually are, whether or not certain pets that haven't changed rarity are rare enough to go into the list? I don't know if this is possible, but it may make it possible to value certain pets that have never changed from very rare at least.

-kee
𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑, 𝐀𝐍𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍.
leo | she/her | athlete
american | vegetarian
𝐘𝐎𝐔.─────
song of the week:
with every wish by bruce springsteen
kee;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:57 am

I'm also curious... For now, I would be half-satisfied if we could get an updated version of that old post that Nick made in 2009 with the pet ratios. Or something similar to that. (PROBABLY POINTLESS SPECULATION > maybe the ratios actually come from something else? e.g. if N is the number of all CS outcomes, then if you number them all 1-N from most rare to least rare (regarding raw rarity, of course), maybe the top 1% (pulled out of thin air) gets the OMGSR tag? and only then do we get the ratios. This would explain why Nick said "Right now" in his 2009 post. < PROBABLY POINTLESS SPECULATION)

Logistically speaking, @WASSAP even if the admins agreed to it, I'm not sure how they would do that lol unless you were thinking of something integrated into the archives, but I feel like that's even less of a possibility... otherwise I can't see Nick just sitting down and typing everything up for us in a forum post LOL another option is that he builds a new site feature for that, buuuuut I suspect he'd want to work on other things rather than that LOL

@kee the major problem with asking for admin help is that the Rares List has always been and will probably always be unofficial in the sense that the admins won't endorse it. Makes sense (and it's a good thing, too), but when we ask for help, it can't be directly related to the List...
Last edited by nickjr on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gallifrey falls. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:57 am

I have to agree with WASSUP - I don't see why they can't release the exact numbers. I don't see it hurting trading all that much, and if it does, it will naturally recover.
█████
█████

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
carries morexxx
╔════════════╗

Hello! My name is gallifrey falls. I'm in
my 3rd year of college, so I might be sl
ow to respond to PMs or trades, sorry!
I love to write, though it has been mo
stly fanfiction so far. My fav things are
currently The Magnus Archives, Hazbin
Hotel, Gravity Falls, & Doctor Who.
PM me about anything, i love to chat!

╚════════════╝
╒══════════╕
trade thread - auction
light's on, light's off - ©

╘══════════╛
╒══════════╕
╘══════════╛
gallifrey falls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:16 am

Rarity numbers can be listed with ease. All Nick has to do is hit "sort by rarity", then click "descending", cut and paste the top 100, 200 or 300. I highly doubt he can't see the numbers in list format. No need to integrate anything. That can be done once a year.

I mean he has listed the most wished for pets. No reason he can do it with pets themselves.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 am

True... probably has a way to generate the BBCode for that, now that I'm thinking about it. Makes me wonder why he chose to stop at 10 pets for the wishlist posts, though; is it just because 10 is a nice number and is sorta standard for "Top #" lists? xD ignore that; faulty memory OTL the # is 20. Guess my point still stands but not as much lol

actual edit: I wonder if there are so few of the OMGSR pets that they would be almost countable? such that if we got the numbers of those pets on active accounts, then it's possible people would be able to ID most of those pets? Might also make the anti-List hoard sentiment stronger in that case. I kinda doubt this is the case, but it crossed my mind
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lya » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 am

@nickjr - Isn't there a even a thread for that?
And I believe somebody once counted how many Sunjewels there were in the original 2008 adopts...

Btw: If anybody who has a really good memory about all things store pet related, I'd appreciate a PM. xD
And I'm going to stop working on those rarities for now. Need to be up for work in less than 8 hours. x_x
Lya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goostarion » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 pm

@August PPS rarity.

During my number calculations I was making last night, going off how 2012-2014 was CS's biggest boom of new players, I wouldn't be surprised if the August PPS would be 1:500 taking in all other accounts of availability, Numbers, Forever homes, Hoarders and poundings. If it is below this figure it would be approximately 1:400. There was a two year gap of it being released before it appeared in re-releases and considering it was released with a high CS population, most of whom are not here now, it means simply that each release in re-releases would be less than those released back in 12. With that said I wouldn't be surprised if it was with the new rarity tag. But of course this is by straight numbers and long story short Tess can change rarities at a whim. Which... I find more problematic than beneficial.

@Admins releasing figures
This is very detrimental, we are just users we don't need to know that information of how many pets are on the site. We play the game for fun not to jump into the logistics of it all. They already have done enough with the rarity tag. The only thing I would ask for is a updated ratio for rarity tags and for a new rarity tag in between VR and OMGSR so basically anything in that tag or higher would be classed as the rarest pet on the site and would work affiliatingly with what a rare's list is meant to do.

So like: (FAKE NUMBERS) (Pets:UsersActivewithin6MonthPeriod)
OMGSC- 3:1
VC- 2:1
C- 1:3
UC- 1:15
R- 1:45
VR- 1:90
???- 1:450 *New rarity*
OMGSR- 1:900

^Thats all we need. It also means 5 VR = 1 ????? Rarity. Simple maths and helps the kiddies learn math too. That's cool. Also we really need to get rid of the whole older pets worth more thing with 09 rares and stuff as a whole. It's proven to not work and I am more than happy to do the numbers on why that is.
I am on mobile.
Current mood: Casually being able to talk to the country's parliament is fascinating.
Don’t you want to see a highlight?
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me