♚❤LEARN/TEACH GERMAN❤♚

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

Re: Learn/Teach German - CLASSES OPEN

Postby Schneemaehne » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:30 am

Hmm, it sure makes sense! There is also always this lexical gap. Sometimes the word is so perfect and fitting in its meaning that you simply cannot think of one in the other language. Or it is a specific term and so forth. I think this is what makes translating novels and the likes so hard. When it is all about cathcing the readers attention with the perfect sentence, it must be so hard to make the same perfect pattern in another language. This is why even if I am deeply impressed by the most translators, I always like to read my books in its original language.

Maybe that's a question for all of you guys - do you read books in their original language, even if it's foreign? Meaning German books for the English speakers and the other way round? Have you read the same book in both its original language and a translation? What was your experience with this?
My DeviantArt
Avatar and signature sketch made by myself, no stealing or Princess Stabbity will get you.
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scyfir » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:36 am

I read a book in german and english (its' original language) and have to say- there wasn't a big difference. At first i didn't know which cat was which, since the german translations of the english names were a bit different sometimes (fe. German "Sammy" was english "Rusty", which would have been originally "Rostig" in german and german "Weißpelz" was english "Whitestorm", which would have been "Weißsturm")
Scyfir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spencer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:55 am

Oh you're talking about Warriors. Yeah, a majority of the names have been changed for the German version, but I don't know why. Maybe some of the English names would sound weird if they were translated correctly?
spencer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 am

Oh yes, names are often a thing of confusion! I once read a while novel series (Green Rider 1-4) where they obviously switched the German translator for the last two books - and (s)he decided to translate every name differently! I mean, it's artistic freedom and all, but gosh-golly it was so confusing that all the characters and places changed names after two books!
My DeviantArt
Avatar and signature sketch made by myself, no stealing or Princess Stabbity will get you.
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:42 am

I always prefer to read books in the original language, but unless the original language is German, I just stick to reading the English translations because I can't understand a word of any other language. It's also not very easy to find non-English language books around here. You would usually have to buy it online if you want the original, although you can also get lucky sometimes at used book stores (I found a 1929 German copy of Im Westen Nichts Neues at the bookstore down the street. Woo! I love old books.) But yeah, for the most part I just read English copies because I don't understand anything in the originals and can't usually get my hands on one anyway. ^^"
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raine23 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Are you guys still active? I assume so, the last post was on the 8th.

*Username: Cabe
*German Level: Omega
*Why do you think you are at this level?: I don't know any German
*What is your main goal in joining this group?: To learn a new language. I love learning languages~
*Would you like to receive PMs of the latest news/updates from our group? (Y/N): Yes
Favorite learning tool/website: Flashcards and human interaction (Is that a tool? XD)
*Timezone (please be as specific as possible): Central Time Zone
*First Language: English
How often are you online?: Usually around twice a day - in the morning to check things, and at night for a while.
Would you like to learn from a teacher/someone who knows German on a regular or irregular basis?: Irregular, because I'm not very regular myself, I usually have a lot of activities going on.
Would you like to teach students on a regular or irregular basis? N/A

Found someone! :3
She/her | CST time | PMs welcome | Trades
♥I hoard guinea pigs! Click on Magnus for the Herd♥
✦I hoard scorpions! Click here to see them✦
Raine23

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 am

Hi all! I wonder if anyone is still here who could help me out with something. I'm looking for a German dictionary for German speakers (as in, a German dictionary where the definitions are in German), but I don't know of any good, reputable companies I could buy one from. Maybe you could recommend something? Like a German equivalent of the Oxford English dictionary? Anything I search on Google just comes up with a bunch of free online dictionaries, while I'm looking to get an actual book. x'D
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby balloon, » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Found someone! Thanks!

Hey, I saw this. My friend speaks German, but I never made an effort, so I basically know zero words. Please help! c:

*Username: Pappillons
*German Level: Omega
*Why do you think you are at this level?: I know zero words, sadly. I really just want to learn the basics, like the alphabet, a few simple word, and other stuff. When I know that much, I will get deeper into German.
*What is your main goal in joining this group?: Talking with my best friend in German, so we can share a language. Also, the language seems very interesting.
*Would you like to receive PMs of the latest news/updates from our group? (Y/N): No.
Favorite learning tool/website: Rosetta Stone
*Timezone (please be as specific as possible): Mountain Range zone, I live in central America.
*First Language: English, second Spanish. I can take lessons in either of these languages.
How often are you online?: Often, though my school day often runs long, so sorry if I'm not on.
Would you like to learn from a teacher/someone who knows German on a regular or irregular basis?: A regular basis please. Also, I would like to do it through PMs if okay c:
Would you like to teach students on a regular or irregular basis?: I am not a teacher c:
Last edited by balloon, on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
      my name is marley
      i was rly active on here around a year ago! i used to go by pappi. im back now!
balloon,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:10 pm

@ Schuye: A classic book for this in German would be the "Duden". They also make the most-used German grammar and are so well known that "Use your Duden!" more or less is equivalent with "Check your grammar!". It has all German words with the newest typing, explanations, alternate phrases and lots of quotes from famous German writers using the specific word in their works, but also older words or for example jiddisch. The problem is this thing is expensive. Really, really expensive! I think the standart version is 100€, the extra-super-duper-nice one around 200€.

(If you are especially into old German words, try "Grimms Wörterbuch". Yep, Grimm like the two guys writing down fairytales. They actually made a dictionary which was finished only a few centuries ago. It's completely online and even native speakers will have some fun with the obscure words and sayings in there!)
My DeviantArt
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Miunari » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:09 am

Schneemaehne wrote:@ Schuye: A classic book for this in German would be the "Duden". They also make the most-used German grammar and are so well known that "Use your Duden!" more or less is equivalent with "Check your grammar!". It has all German words with the newest typing, explanations, alternate phrases and lots of quotes from famous German writers using the specific word in their works, but also older words or for example jiddisch. The problem is this thing is expensive. Really, really expensive! I think the standart version is 100€, the extra-super-duper-nice one around 200€.

(If you are especially into old German words, try "Grimms Wörterbuch". Yep, Grimm like the two guys writing down fairytales. They actually made a dictionary which was finished only a few centuries ago. It's completely online and even native speakers will have some fun with the obscure words and sayings in there!)

It is really that expensive? I have one at home and looked it up on amazon, whcih says 25 euro.
But maybe thats just a part of the one you're talking about?
Miunari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me