Bilingual people what are phrases you get mixed up?

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

Re: Bilingual people what are phrases you get mixed up?

Postby Rosalyn » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:15 pm

ellebee wrote:
In spanish, "sopa" means soup. But a lot of people think it means "soap" and honestly, it sounds like the word soap. I've been caught accidentally saying "wash your hands with sopa" (pronounced like soap-a) instead of soap lots of times. I dont mean to tell people to wash their hands with soup I swear :,)

I'm very similar to this.

If the word is too close to an english word it's even easier for my brain to mix it up [just like sopa =/= soap.] Another one would be ropa, which looks like it would mean rope but it actually means clothes. I tend to mix up all sorts of words all the time though.
Rosalyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby YanishaDrake » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:30 am

I am on the "sometimes I forget random words" front...
So f.e. I am having a german conversation with my husband, and midsentence forget one german word, switch in the english one - and two sentences later we are speaking plain english, to the amusement of our son (who only knows "Happy Birthday to you" in english).
Kept happening with my late grandmother and with my mother as well =D
Sometimes, when I am trying to speak french, random italian or spanish words show up, and I do not even speak those languages, I just know a couple of words...
Wonder how this will evolve when my swedish improves =D
My Wish-list is a mess. Forgive me.
YanishaDrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silkesmyra » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:31 am

(Swedish/English).

In written form on the phone it will auto correct some words to Swedish and I don't care when it happens because many times the words means the same in English. Such as "for" > "för".
ImageImage
~5200 pets for trade on CS at any given moment, pretty large WL and many hoards to fill
Silkesmyra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me