We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby SupernaturalJem » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:52 pm

Wookieinmashoo wrote:Image

Played with it a bit. Original on top with 2-4 being increase in saturation. 5-7 are different colors, 8-9 are increased highlights and increased shadows.

And one with the little custom heart, though I couldn't alter the actual custom bar because it's not saveable, so some things may be off.

I've grown attached to the pearl one, but I agree it would fit more as a custom and the OMGSR can have the nice gradient of all the rarities. I'd be able to make something better with the actual lines and multiply layers.

These are cool! Numbers 6 & 7 are my favorites.

Btw, thanks (in case I forgot to say it earlier) to those who told me about the setting that displays rarities in pet groups. It does work, I just got confused thinking it didn't because I was looking at this month's pets. :oops: It took me days to figure that out because I hadn't gone into any of my other groups for several days lol.
My clickable adopts All on my LJ rather than putting all in my sig.

Please do NOT send trades for my event tokens. I rarely trade tokens before I get all of the event items/pets that I want. When my tokens are for trade, I will put that in my trade posts on the trade threads. Thank you.
SupernaturalJem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowKatto » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:27 pm

Here’s a summary of my thoughts so far:

Keep the rarity bars, no stars*
Keep the OMG Rarites
Keep custom pet rarity the same to keep it unique.
Make OMGSR the opal/iridescent color, no gold

Out of all of these, #2 is the best one.

* = However, I would love to see the iridescent OMGSR bar in the star format.
ShadowKatto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:35 pm

samiam52900 wrote:Since the purpose of this thread has come and gone, could we maybe get a new one with a new poll to vote on: maybe for stars vs bars, or the colors?

I think the rainbow would be good for the omgsr. I know the rainbow is for the custom pets, but can you even trade those? I thought they were only for staff, in which case, wouldn’t it be fine to have the omgsr rainbow? Not to mention they would not have the heart in the middle, or really anything different for the coustoms. Maybe just one little rainbow star or heart instead of the scale or all of them?

We're not sure if any of those things will be up for community vote. If they will be then some kind of update will be posted :) In the meantime we're monitoring all feedback for design while things are being worked on.

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby piepinkpony » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:23 pm

I love this (below)

and I must say I agree one of the golds could be used for custom pets. Custom pets should stay the the hearts in the middle, as below.

I really love this (below) and also agree it would be interesting to see a mock-up with the stars instead of the rarity bars. Not a massive fan of notches myself.

I don't have vision problems myself but I like these high contrast options, and didn't want them to get lost in the thread:
Zeroness wrote:Some ideas for high contrast rarity bars for colorblind people (and people with other problems with vision):

I would be very interested to hear the opinions on these from those who would need them.

Also;
Aaron✦ wrote:
samiam52900 wrote:Since the purpose of this thread has come and gone, could we maybe get a new one with a new poll to vote on: maybe for stars vs bars, or the colors?

We're not sure if any of those things will be up for community vote. If they will be then some kind of update will be posted :) In the meantime we're monitoring all feedback for design while things are being worked on.

Even if the community doesn't vote on this would it be possible to have another summary post or update on the front page? Just so the discussion on design can be more streamlined and ideas don't get lost in the thread?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pride was a RIOT. Black lives matter! They/Them
Pride pets -->https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4351842
piepinkpony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlossomTail » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:44 am

It's a work in progress, but I've made a masterlist of rarity bar suggestions here if we want to continue the discussion! c:
| B e e |

Looking for Flightrising/C$ trades!
user - tifftac

Balance: 786g | 375kt
Balance: 18C$

BlossomTail

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raptocidic » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:46 am

Personally not a fan of the gold or pearlescent rarity bar ideas. I think they look nice, and theres some very pretty mock-up designs, but I don't think it looks good next to the rest of the rarity bar colors. Having it be rainbow or keeping it purple makes more sense to me. Personally i'm a fan of the rainbow since it combines the previous rarity colors. (I think the custom bar is distinct with the heart).

edit: didn't see the previous post, i'll continue the rarity bar discussion there in the future
Raptocidic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blaubär » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:36 am

Played with it a bit. Original on top with 2-4 being increase in saturation. 5-7 are different colors, 8-9 are increased highlights and increased shadows.

Personally, I love each and every one on this list. Amazing! <3
I see no. 5 as a compromise between bluish-pearly, rainbow and gold. It's different enough from custom pets, light enough to not look brownish-yellow and iridescent which makes it stand out a little from the other rarities. Just special.

Gotta say thank you to everyone who made an effort to present examples, no matter what they were about or how I liked them. It's just so much better than only describing. So yeah: thank you guys! Good community. : )
Blaubär

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wolfykins » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:51 am

And one with the little custom heart, though I couldn't alter the actual custom bar because it's not saveable, so some things may be off.

I've grown attached to the pearl one, but I agree it would fit more as a custom and the OMGSR can have the nice gradient of all the rarities. I'd be able to make something better with the actual lines and multiply layers.

I think these colors are way to close to each other. Maybe slightly darker colors 🤔
Please do NOT bump my thread. Thanks
PLEASE do NOT offer me rats or chickens- I'm not interested in collecting those. Thank You ☺
wolfykins

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blaubär » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:18 am

wolfykins wrote:
I think these colors are way to close to each other. Maybe slightly darker colors 🤔

The above ones all for the OMGSR rarity level. ; )
Blaubär

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby purride » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:50 pm

Just an aside, I think it would be nice for another update on the first post now that the poll is complete!
purride

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me