Suggestion: Download Our Data

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Would you support CS adding an option to download our data?

Yes
88%
No (explain why?)
12%

Total votes : 26

Suggestion: Download Our Data

Postby Squecca » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:49 am

I am a bit of a data/memory hoarder/archiver nerd, and I would love to be able to download my Chicken Smoothie data. I'm sure a lot of other users would love to as well!
I do have downloads of all my pets (and their IDs, names, and rarities), trade rules, stamps, signatures, profile pictures, dressups, and scenes. But the problem with that is that I have to do all of that manually which is time-consuming, and I also haven't figured out an easy way to download all of my posts, trades, items (and amounts), and CS store purchases.
The European Union has a law known as the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which requires companies to let you access and download your personal data. Since this law was codified, big companies started letting you request your data which you could then download to your device. I don't live in the EU, but luckily those companies let everyone do it. I find this to be extremely beneficial not just for keeping it on my device, but also for knowing what they have of mine and how they're using it. Usually this also comes with an option to request that your data be deleted (the right to be forgotten). But I just like having all of my photos, videos, activity, posts, data, etc. on my personal hard drives. I like duplicating it and putting it on USB drives which I then store in fireproof waterproof safes. I like knowing I have my information and memorabilia even if servers crash and go offline, or a natural/regional disaster happens.
The pets could be saved as HTML files of our folders (which is how I download mine). Our posts could be HTML files or Excel files, which is how I've seen YouTube/Google do it. We could be emailed with a zip file of our data.
So basically, I'd love an easy way to download my data so I don't have to do it manually, and I would also be able to have my posts, items, trades, etc.
Sorry this isn't very well written, I may amend it later when I have more time.
May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month!
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Suggestion: Download Our Data

Postby Wired » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:58 pm

+1, I really like this idea and in the far future if the site ever goes offline for good I’d really like to mass-save my pets in this way and be able to copy the memories easily to different places. I don’t really get the “no” votes… they didn’t explain T_T
She/her adult
PM me if inactive

Wired

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:01 am

Wired wrote:+1, I really like this idea and in the far future if the site ever goes offline for good I’d really like to mass-save my pets in this way and be able to copy the memories easily to different places. I don’t really get the “no” votes… they didn’t explain T_T

Thank you for your support, I agree!
I also don't understand the "no" votes. It's up to 3 now. When there was only 1, I was joking to my bf that it must've been Nick not wanting to program that lol. I can't think of a reason besides that of why it shouldn't be a thing.
If anyone here disagrees with the suggestion, please let me know your opinion! I'd love another perspective because I can't see how it would be a bad update to make?
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby calicomarine » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 pm

+1 I think this is a sick idea, data archival for the win! My account is new, but I've been thinking of similar ways to back this up. And side note i'd love to hear about how you organize downloaded pets!
Click to help baby dragons: Image Image Image Image
Thank you for helping these grow! Image Image Image
calicomarine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:00 pm

calicomarine wrote:+1 I think this is a sick idea, data archival for the win! My account is new, but I've been thinking of similar ways to back this up. And side note i'd love to hear about how you organize downloaded pets!

Thank you for your support! :D I organize my pets basically the same as they're organized in my CS account folders. So for example, the file path to get to my dogs looks like this:
D:\Chicken Smoothie\Groups\Dogs
And the way I downloaded them was I basically just changed my rarity bars to just be text, went to each pet folder, put the page size at 9999, and then downloaded the HTML file of the page. It's a lot quicker than saving each pet image manually, and that way I can open the file and I can see each pet's name, rarity (the rarity bar has to be in text format though because the rarity images don't download for some reason), and if I hover over the pet with my cursor, the link appears in the bottom left of my screen which displays the pet's ID.
I included a picture to show what it looks like. I have my cursor hovered over my pet "Miriam" to show how the ID displays in the bottom left corner. You can't see my cursor in the screenshot though. Hopefully the quality isn't too bad, I had to compress it a bit to get it to fit here.
But if we could just download all of our CS data with the click of a button, I would be able to see more! Like the age of the pet in days, its growth stage and PPS tag (if applicable), and who traded it to me. And of course, I'd be able to have all my items, wishlist, trades, etc.
If you want to download your pets like I did, do this:
1. Set rarity bar format to text (if you want to download the rarities. It also makes it easier to search the page for specific rarities).
2. Go to the pet group you want.
3. Change the link to "&pageSize=9999" (or however large you want the page to be. I like to download all that group's pets on one page if I can, because it's quicker than doing it page by page).
4. Right click the page and click "save as"
5. If your group names have emojis or unique characters, take them out of the file's title if you plan on ever zipping or exporting it.
And you're done! And you can make your folders however you like. But the file folder and the browser HTML file must always go together and be named the exact same thing.
Here's how I downloaded other things:
My stamps: saved each image (just the "my stamps" section, not all of the generic stamps everyone gets)
My trading rules: HTML file and a copy of the text/BBCode
My profile: HTML file and saved images of my profile pic, signature, etc.
My dressups: saved each image
My scenes: saved each image
Attachments
dog group download.jpg
dog group download.jpg (376.44 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Sun May 05, 2024 7:40 am

bump

Last bumped by Squecca on Sun May 05, 2024 7:40 am.
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me