TOXIC'S GRAMMAR AND RESPONSE GUIDE

Ask for help with character/plot development or other RP-related content. You can also post your own roleplay guides, tips, and tricks!

TOXIC'S GRAMMAR AND RESPONSE GUIDE

Postby tøxiclilypetals » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:16 am

TOXIC'S ROLEPLAY GRAMMAR AND RESPONSE GUIDE

Tips and tricks for making the best Roleplay response!

Hello, dear user! Welcome to my Grammar and Response guide, where I'll be showing you how to boost your Roleplay ideas, grammar, and approachability!

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Last edited by tøxiclilypetals on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
aloha! call me toxic!
absolutely hopeless, but at least im still here
i do art and stuff
my patronus is a st bernard and
my house is ravenclaw
fav pokemon is espeon!
team starkid? yes

she/her || bisexual
single pringle but too shy to mingle
11/03

discord: toxicissleeping#7875
dragon cave: Lillianissleeping
amino: send noodles
toyhouse: toxiclilypetals
tøxiclilypetals

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Starting Your Roleplay; How to word it

Postby tøxiclilypetals » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:35 am

This is very important for the people who want to start Roleplay threads of their own!

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR GRAMMAR PLAYS A BIG ROLE ON HOW PEOPLE SEE YOU AS A PERSON?

Yes, that is very true! People can take a look at the way you talk and assume that you're a certain type of person!
Using Text Talk (Ppl, Cos, ur, u, y), Slang (Confusing slang like "Going Dutch" or "Zonk"), or Very poor grammar can ALL defeat the purpose of the Roleplay!

ACTIVITY:
Read both of these statements. Which Roleplay would you rather join after reading both introductions?

Example one: The city of Atlantis was always a mystery to the humans, but paridice to the mythical creatures who thrived there. In fear that the humans may come to claim the city as their own, the creatures have been building an army to defend themselves. After 5 years at war, the humans surrendered and fled back to their homes above the water. Which side will you choose?

Example two: Sparkleclan is a group of cats in the forest. Their foes bow down to their will as the group of god-cats walk throughout the forest. One step closer, and your dead!

Which Roleplay would you rather pick??
My choice would be the first Example. It provides a backstory that makes sense and the setting can be recognized from myths that we all still hear today.
The Second Example, however, is a godmodded Roleplay environment (More info on the Godmodding section). The characters are overpowered, the name doesn't make sense, and the setting is brief, making it confusing to read. The characters are likely to be Mary Sues and not very fun to Roleplay with.
aloha! call me toxic!
i do art and stuff
my house is ravenclaw
fav pokemon is espeon!
team starkid? yes

she/her || bisexual
11/03

tøxiclilypetals

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Making a Roleplay post

Postby tøxiclilypetals » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:56 am

When making a Roleplay post, you have to use the best grammar!

When using Text talk in a Roleplay post, people can assume that you're lazy, and they may try to avoid making contact with your Roleplay character. Nobody likes to be ignored!

Which of these Roleplay posts would YOU respond to?

Example Post 1: Stacey sighed and looked around at the ppl before goin' inside to chat, cos Stacey is a nice and loving person to be around and that makes her better than most ppl.

Example Post 2: As Lizzie walked outside, she embraced the wonderful smell of the crisp autumn morning. The birds were chirping, symbolizing that an amazing day was ahead of her. She smiled as she felt the warm morning sun on her face, happy thoughts filling her mind. She brushed some hair out of her face and heard the slight sound of coffee being brewed. She looked into the window and saw that her mother was already awake. She turned around and opened the door to greet her family a good morning.

I would rather Roleplay with the writer of the second post! Although it may be a little too long, it can meet the post requirements of a "3 Sentence post" rule and the post is very entertaining to read. The characters are introduced in a sweet way and the main character's focus is on the outside world, which can be easily analyzed from the surrounding conditions and sounds.
The first post, however, is one sentence long and is centered around the character. It doesn't show any other detail about the surroundings or the setting. The post is completely centered about how great Stacey is, which is also a form of Godmodding.
Last edited by tøxiclilypetals on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
aloha! call me toxic!
i do art and stuff
my house is ravenclaw
fav pokemon is espeon!
team starkid? yes

she/her || bisexual
11/03

tøxiclilypetals

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Approachability

Postby tøxiclilypetals » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:11 am

Approachability is important!
When making a post to interact to another person's character, always tag them!

Lacey .:. Clouded Leopard .:. 18 .:. Tags: xxx

Lacey is a Roleplay Character of mine. All info about her belongs to me.

When approaching someone, include a simple "Hello! What's your name?" In the post to show that your character is a friend, and not a foe.

Who would you rather approach??

Example One: Lizzie was bored out of her mind! Science class wasn't her favorite class to be in, but she has to take it anyways. She spotted a boy who was sitting by his lonesome, and figured that he needed a partner for the assignment that the teacher was explaining. She stood up and walked over to him after the teacher dismissed the class. "Hello! My name is Lizzie! It's a pleasure to meet you!" She chirped.

Example Two: Stacey glared across the room at the history professor, who was assigning a project to the entire class. Everyone seemed to have a partner except for her and another girl, who looked like a nerd. She had small glasses and a Pokémon hoodie. She mumbled under her breath and trudged to the girl, who jumped up with suprise. "Hey, you! You're my partner now, ok?" Stacey told her and walked off, leaving the poor girl at the class in confusion.

I would go for person one! The main character looks like she's a very caring girl, who isn't afraid to say hello! I would rather Roleplay with that kind of character than Roleplaying with a character like Stacey. Stacey's approach to the Hoodie Girl was rude, and replying with "You're my partner now" only gives the reader one choice; they're forced to interact with this rude character.
aloha! call me toxic!
i do art and stuff
my house is ravenclaw
fav pokemon is espeon!
team starkid? yes

she/her || bisexual
11/03

tøxiclilypetals

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

How to prevent godmodding

Postby tøxiclilypetals » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 am

Roleplaying with a person who usually likes to Godmod characters is no fun!
Preventing Godmodding is easy, believe it or not!

Which post do you think Is godmodding?

Example 1: (A person's character approaches another Character) Doveheart leaped at the cat infront of her, ripping into it's fur, making it unable to move. She yanked on it's ear as it cried with pain. She kept on slashing her claws at it until it fell to the ground. She jumped on top of it and bit into it's neck, killing it before it could react.

Example 2: Lilysong looked up into the trees to see an orange she-cat within the branches. She took a couple steps back and hissed. "Who are you?! You're trespassing on Riverclan territory!" She said bitterly, hoping to scare the cat away. She wouldn't kill it, but startling it was a better idea. She waited for the cat to react before continuing.

Example one is the godmodded character! As you can tell, the random cat was Attacked out of nowhere by Doveheart! The character was killed without having time to react, and you should ALWAYS ask to kill a person's character BEFORE starting the interaction!
The post with Lilysong, however, is very patient. She waits until the other cat responds before she starts jumping to conclusions. She didn't control the other cat or the person who owns the other character, but she addressed the issue and waited for a reaction.
aloha! call me toxic!
i do art and stuff
my house is ravenclaw
fav pokemon is espeon!
team starkid? yes

she/her || bisexual
11/03