Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Terrati (Two for Sale) by June Bug

Artist June Bug [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 14 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
8 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Terrati (Two for Sale)

Postby June Bug » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:52 am

Terrati
pronunciation : TAYR-ah-shi
plural: Terrati

Species Info

The Terrati are a strange species. Resembling Dragons, they are actually most closely related to deer, though their unique evolution has led to some very odd not-very-deer-like qualities.

Their most obvious difference is that their appearance is greatly affected by where they hatched and the element of their sub-species. The sub-species are named for each of their elements and are as follows:
Earth, Life: Very common
Earth, Mineral: Very common
Earth, Metal: Rare
Water, Freshwater: Uncommon
Water, Saltwater: Common
Air: Rare
Fire: Uncommon
Terrati of a particular element will be drawn to that element, instinctively caring for and promoting the health of it.

A secondary force acts on the development and appearance of the Terrati. The species releases the eggs of their offspring, which, at the time of formation, are encased in a soft membrane that is filled with a very light gas, allowing the egg to float in the air.
The first part of development occurs in air, allowing the element and specific genetic code (inherited from the parents) of the Terrati to shape and form it's basic coloration and form.
As the Embryo grows, so does the egg, using material from the membrane and gas encasing it. Eventually, the membrane becomes very fragile and either tears on it's own, or breaks when it comes in contact with another object. The egg then falls. It is durable enough to easily survive it's fall and is coated in a super-adhesive goo, making it stick strongly to the first solid object it encounters.
Wherever it sticks will influence and shape the second half of development. The egg and embryo absorb material from the object, shaping it further into a unique creature. The nursery object can be literally anything solid and it will have a unique effect on the embryo attached.
If the material is plentiful, the embryo grows large, if it is only a small sample, it remains small. The final size of the Terrati will depend on the size of it's nursery object. Terrati range in size from 6" to 7' tall.

Each Terrati will live for as long as 300 years.

Females will produce an egg every two years. Males will seek out a new partner directly after his previous partner releases their egg and will remain with the new female until she is ready to mate and release an egg.
Eggs are produced in a small sack under the skin of the chest of the female, right at the base of her neck. To mate, the pair lay very close together, facing each other, and press the sides of their necks against each other. Often, they will nudge and nip each other's shoulders softly, encouraging comfort and relaxation as stress will cause the female to produce an enzyme that hardens the egg, making it unlikely to develop correctly.

Food source is different for each individual. They can eat just about anything, excluding anything in a later stage of decay and fungi. Individuals will have specific preferences, though it is unknown whether the preference is linked to the developmental forces.
Some hunt and are very carnivorous, some are almost completely herbivorous, others are somewhere on the omnivore scale.

Upon reaching adult-hood, a Terrati will begin either looking for, or creating an artifact. They use these artifacts to focus their nurturing energies so they can begin to care for their elements as their parents. Those who live near human civilization often steal objects from humans. Those who live deeper into the wilderness craft them from various materials. Artifacts do not always correspond to the element or hatching object, but the ones that do are very often much more successful in their elemental care than those who have unrelated artifacts.

Coloration is highly varied, though it is very influenced by the parents and the hatching object.
Earth types are mostly browns and grays.
Water types are often dark and/or murky colors.
Air types are usually light, pastel, and/or dulled colors.
Fire types are almost always a shade of red.
Other colors are possible and common on each of the types. these secondary colors come from the materials and influence taken from the nursery object.

How to Adopt

Each Terrati will be posted with basic info (As seen on this Terrati) as well as the specific cost. Price will depend on the rarity of the element and complexity of design.
I am only accepting hoard pets or wishlist pets for them. (I hoard all fully natural-design horses and ponies)
Price will be listed in terms of points. The points are as follows:

Uncommon - 20
Rare - 30
Very Rare - 50

Common - 10
Uncommon - 15
Rare - 25
Very Rare - 40

Common - 5
Uncommon - 10
Rare - 20
Very Rare - 35

Very Common - 1
Common - 2
Uncommon - 5
Rare - 15
Very Rare - 30

Any Year
OMG so Rare - 65

To adopt, post on this thread with a link to the one you would like and the picture of your payment offer.
Right now, it's first come, first served.

Customs are not available right now. Check back later. ;3
Last edited by June Bug on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Terrati

Postby June Bug » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:52 am

reserved for future hijinks~