Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Justin's Hero by MaineiacJay

Artist MaineiacJay [gallery]
Time spent 1 day, 1 hour
Drawing sessions 2
87 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Justin's Hero

Postby MaineiacJay » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm

first off, the timer is WAY off lol. i dont have internet at my house, so i have to pre-load the oekaki screen at work, then leave it up to while im working, and then working on the painting, and then some more time to wait until work the next night to post what ive done so far =P

I was born in a war zone, in the middle of Iraq, no home to call my own.
I was just a puppy when you held me in your hands, a fluff of fur no bigger than your fist.
Even at that age, I knew you were a friend.
I waited for you the next day, to feel your touch again.
But that it never came.

Others came back though, but not you. they looked upon me with sorrowful gazes.
I knew you were lost to me, lost to all those who called you friend.
And then something happened. your friends came back. they scooped me up and sent me on my way.
Sent me on my way to join your family, in your honor, and in your memory.

You called me Hero, but it is not I that is the hero, it is you, my lost friend.
You fought for all, you fought for me.
and like others, you fought so that I would not have to.
and in the end? You gave it all, the ultimate sacrifice.
We will never forget you, you will live on in those hearts you touched.

Rest in Peace.

its not finished yet, the black is obviously the part that needs to get done, and still need some work on the part that isnt blacked out =) <-- i removed the black and just let the outline show, so that people can better see the progress.. sorry its taking so long, it seems i never have any spare time, but im determined to finish this by the end of the week! (Dec 3) i dont add the fine detail until everything has a color to it, so even where it looks done, it isnt. i think the only thing that is really done are the stones...

for anyone who watched "Saved" on Animal Planet, this is one of the dogs featured...

this is Hero, a mixed breed dog from Iraq, the dog that Justin and the other members of his team found the day before he was killed by a roadside bomb. Justin had taken pictures of him and one of the little puppies and planned to send them home to his family. he never got to send them... after Justin was killed, his family made one request: to have the puppy that he held. after a rather large scale project, Hero arrived in New Hampshire, a much bigger girl than she was in the photos...

this is a portrait of Hero, now a grown dog. this photo is from their recent trip to Justin's grave at Arlington. I plan to give it to Rhonda, Justin's mom next time i see her. i think she'll like it

Ref:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_ ... 962581.jpg
Last edited by DoctorDraca on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added in the reference, please make sure to always link to your used reference
Birthday: July 13 | Anniversary: September 18
Welcoming our daughter 1/7/19 ❤
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Justin's Hero

Postby LoneWolf-Gage » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:29 pm

My condolences to the family. May they and Hero all live a long and happy life.
I would like to say ''Hooah'' in honor and memory of SPC Rollins and the other soldiers we have lost in this and other wars.

Thank You.

C. Rollins Aka Lonewolf-Gage
Image<--CLICK-->Image

Code: Select all
[center][img][/img]
[b][u]Name [/u][/b]
[b][u]Called[/u][/b]
[b][u]Age[/u][/b]
[b][u]Gender[/u][/b]

[b][u]Personality[/u][/b]
[b][u]History[/u][/b]

[b][u]Family[/u][/b]
[b][u]Pets[/u][/b]

[b][u]Likes[/u][/b]
[b][u]Dislikes[/u][/b]
[b][u]Skills [/u][/b]
[b][u]Habits [/u][/b]

[b][u]Appearance [/u][/b]
-[u]Height[/u]
-[u]Weight[/u]
-[u]Body Type[/u]
-[u]Skin Toned[/u]
-[u]Hair Color[/u]
-[u]Eye color[/u]
-[u]Scars[/u]
-[u]Modifications[/u]

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
-[u]Shirts[/u]
-[u]Pants[/u]
-[u]Shoes[/u]
-[u]Hat[/u]

[b][u]Other[/u][/b]
-[u]Vehicle [/u]
[/quote][/center]
[center][u][b]Username[/b][/u]
[u][b]Photo[/b][/u]
[u][b]Name[/b][/u]
[u][b]Age[/b][/u]
[u][b]Gender[/b][/u]
[u][b]Breed[/b][/u]
[u][b]Line[/b][/u]
-[b]Sire[/b]
-[b]Dame[/b]
[u][b]Personality[/b][/u]
[u][b]History[/b][/u]
[u][b]Regent[/b][/u]
-[b]Descent [/b]
-[b]Current[/b]
[u][b]Appearance[/b][/u]
-[b]Coat[/b]
Color
Type
-[b]Eyes[/b]
Color
Shape
-[b]Build[/b]
Height
Length
Weight
-[b]Ears[/b]
Position
[u][b]Likes[/b][/u]
[u][b]Dislikes[/b][/u]
[u][b]Fears[/b][/u]
[u][b]Other[/b][/u][/center]
[center][u][b]Username[/b][/u]
[img][/img]
    [u][b]Name[/b][/u]
    [u][b]Age[/b][/u]
    [u][b]Gender[/b][/u]
    [u][b]Line[/b][/u]
    -[b]Sire[/b]
    -[b]Dame[/b]
    [u][b]Personality[/b][/u]
    [u][b]History[/b][/u]
    [u][b]Regent[/b][/u]
    -[b]Descent [/b]
    -[b]Current[/b]
    [u][b]Appearance[/b][/u]
    -[b]Coat[/b]
    -Color
    -Type
    -[b]Eyes[/b]
    -Color
    -Shape
    -[b]Build[/b]
    Height
    Length
    Weight
     -[b]Ears[/b]
    -Position
    [u][b]Skills[/b][/u]
    [u][b]Likes[/b][/u]
    [u][b]Dislikes[/b][/u]
    [u][b]Fears[/b][/u]
[u][b]Power[/b][/u]
[u][b]Other[/b][/u]
[/center]
LoneWolf-Gage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:45 pm

thank you. i am sure they would appreciate your condolences, as would all other military men, women, and their families, they are true heroes
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~*MyDogLikesMen*~ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 am

I just saw a segment on this story last night on 20/20 me and my six year old cousin were both in tears. It is truly touching that the relationship between his girlfriend and parents have stayed together, and Hero really just signifies so much. Yes rest in peace.
~Art Requests~

"Accepting."

~Please visit 'my page'~

kthanxbai.
~*MyDogLikesMen*~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SilverFangs » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:50 am

Wolf Of Ice,
Ender of things,
Lend me Your breath.
Show me a world Standing Still,
As though time itself had frozen.
Show me eternal Beauty, Indestructible, Unassailable.
I reject understanding.
I seek only Perfection.
I long for a scenery of pure white.
SilverFangs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:26 pm

~*MyDogLikesMen*~ wrote:I just saw a segment on this story last night on 20/20 me and my six year old cousin were both in tears. It is truly touching that the relationship between his girlfriend and parents have stayed together, and Hero really just signifies so much. Yes rest in peace.

ya, she was featured on 20/20, Animal Planet's "Saved" and multiple news segments, mostly here in NH... shes a popular girl, thats for sure..

its the love that Brittany and Justin's parents shared for Justin that is keeping them together. Justin never got to propose to Brittany, but i think his parents see her as one of their own..

Hero helps tremendously i think. just talking with Rhonda you can tell how much she means to her, which is evident of course by the effort they took in bringing her home.

i wish the military were more supportive of this stuff.. there are connections made by soldiers with these stray dogs overseas, they get them through, they show them love that many of them, both dog and human, crave over there... but still, it is forbidden to keep a dog (unless its a military k9), and some dogs that are caught are shot :thumbdown: you know a military k9 isnt even aloud to return home on a military flight? i am very patriotic, but some things still get me down...

there is an organization, The Puppy Rescue Mission, that works on bringing home the dogs that soldiers came to love and care about back home for them. it runs off donations and they bring these dogs over for these vets, its really heartening. you can check them out at: http://www.thepuppyrescuemission.org/
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Segie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Wow, I've been wanting to watch that show. At first I was wondering what the black part was, but now I know. Anyway, nice drawing.
Segie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:14 pm

i dont actually have internet or cable at my house right now, so i didnt even know Hero was going to be on it, it was only after talking to Justins mom that i found out, so i watched it at work =P looks like a good show, i like any show that features animals helping people =) still have to watch the 20/20 segment...

anyways, i hope to be able to work on this maybe tomorrow, and hopefully finish it this week. yes, the black is what is not finished lol. i probably could just leave it as the sketch... hmmmm may just fix that...
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~*MyDogLikesMen*~ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:59 am

I also love your art, and you have a very cool technique. Oh, oh I love the progress you've made.
Do you have a tablet?

That is a shame, I think that there could have been a way to save all the puppies. Shooting a dog is completely pointless, but you also have to take in account things that have happened in the past. Under those puppies there could have been a bomb - not saying there was- or something else. They just have to be very careful.
~Art Requests~

"Accepting."

~Please visit 'my page'~

kthanxbai.
~*MyDogLikesMen*~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:56 pm

~*MyDogLikesMen*~ wrote:I also love your art, and you have a very cool technique. Oh, oh I love the progress you've made.
Do you have a tablet?

That is a shame, I think that there could have been a way to save all the puppies. Shooting a dog is completely pointless, but you also have to take in account things that have happened in the past. Under those puppies there could have been a bomb - not saying there was- or something else. They just have to be very careful.

thank you, its a slow process when im so busy. i have the rest of the night and tomorrow off, so i can get quite a bit more done i hope... i do have a tablet, i dont know what i would do without it really! lol thank you for your compliments

its not so much about first finding the dog, but for the dogs that find a friend in the soldiers, and start coming into camp. its not aloud and some wont have it, and order the dog to be euthanized, others will just shoot them... to get Hero home, the army had no part of it. the only thing they said they would do is turn their eyes away while they got the puppy and got her ready for her long trip home.. it is understandable to a point, a feral dog can cause problems in the camp, but to shoot one is just cruel to me..

anyways, its one of the reasons i love the story of Hero so much, and that she lives right here in my town makes her sort of that hopeful icon =)
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me