Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Nightlight Adopts by SpartanAmethyst

Artist SpartanAmethyst [gallery]
Time spent 10 hours, 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 7
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Nightlight Adopts

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 am

Hello, and welcome to Nightlight Adopts! We're very happy you decided to come and see our facilities. Here we adopt out a very exotic species of animal to raise awareness of their presence in our world. Nightlight is our Ambassador, as she is the leader of the herd we have for adoption, and overlooks all of the adoptions to make sure they're going to a good home. For you future owners, here's a little bit about the species:

Species:Papilio Equus, or the "Butterfly Horse".

The "Butterfly Horse" is a very small creature, taking over the title for the World's Smallest Horse. They are only slightly larger than a Monarch butterfly, and are typically very shy, quiet, and secretive. Owners adopting one should know that they can be very difficult to take care of the first month or two, but it progressively gets easier.

Butterfly horses are simply tiny equines with the wings of an insect, depending on their subspecies. They can be found in all natural equine colors and markings, but are also found in neon colors; whatever you can dream up, that color can probably be a possibility given the right genetics. Colors do depend on their subspecies as well; some pure bloodlines will not have certain colors.

"Butterfly Horse" is actually a very focused term for these creatures, but there are different subspecies of them. The species keeps the name Papilio Equus as the Butterfly subspecies is the most common. The subspecies include:

.Anisoptera Equus, or the "Dragonfly Horse"; these all generally are the same size except for a rare few who are much tinier. They are usually found in cool colors (blues, greens, purples, etc.) but can be found in all colors of the spectrum. The rarest colors are black and white. It is most commonly found in tropical, subtropical, or temperate areas near to any body of water.
.Coleoptera Equus, or the "Firefly Horse"; the Firefly Horses are all the same size, there are no variations. They are commonly found in black, but can be any color naturally found in horses. Being from a jungle where camouflage is key, no neon colors are found in this subspecies. It's commonly found in most temperate or sub-tropical forests. All of them have a bioluminescent snowcap appaloosa marking on their rumps, including their tails. The light is most commonly found in yellow, but can be found in red and orange as well. Very rarely it can be found in an aqua blue color, but it's only been recorded in about 1 in every 500,000 fireflies.
.Cicadidae Equus, or the "Song Horse"; named for the Cicada-like melodic neigh it gives. The base color of the Song Horse is always black, but they can have markings and wings of any type and color. It is very uncommon except in certain areas.
.Lepidoptera Equus, or the "Snow Horse", named for the light dust that sometimes falls from it's wings and onto it's surroundings. The Snow Horse's base coat can be any pastel color, most commonly white or grey, but it can have neon or natural colors as markings and as part of it's wing colors. It is the rarest subspecies.
.The most common is of course the Papilio Equus, the "Butterfly Horse". They are widely common, and can be found in any color combination you can imagine. They are well noted for their bright coats and flashy wings.

These small creatures mostly eat leaves, grasses, and fruits, but can benefit every now and then from a few pieces of shredded carrots. But remember, they are small, so their food needs to be prepared accordingly.

Breeding them is extremely difficult because not much in known about their reproductive cycles, but it is known that they do lay eggs and have a larval stage, much like a normal insect. Then they undergo metamorphasis, turning into the adult you see. But unlike most insects, the insect horses have very long lifespans; they can live upwards of 7-10 years. Why this anomaly is present we are unsure, but we believe they live this long because there is only a 30% chance of the young larvae surviving. Mares only lay 5 tiny eggs every breeding season (late spring-mid summer), and only one egg may survive, sometimes none.

Small pets like this need a clean, neat environment so they do not get hurt, They enjoy freedom, so after the first month they will have attached to you and can be allowed to come out of their cage and explore. They are very cautious, so they will most likely not explore any extremely dark or dangerous areas for fear of predators. They do much better with single owners or couples without young children. Older children will do fine as long as they understand about these pets, and know how to properly care for them. They really want nothing more than to either rest somewhere on your person or fly alongside you, as long as they're near to you.

For adopting:

Code: Select all
Username:
Horse Name:
Anything you want to change or add?:
Will you care for it?:
If you ever don't want your companion anymore, post on it's original page that you want it to go to a new home and I will take it and put it back up for adoption.

CUSTOMS
I do have a breeding program for those who want a unique pet to call their own. These you will have to pay for, but in my opinion they're well worth it. Currently our breeding program is
OPEN. To fill out this form, you *must* have read the species specs above. Mixed breeds will have a better range of colors, depending on the subspecies, but will be born infertile and will not be able to breed again.

**Special offer: for an early 2009 or before Rare, if you adopt a stallion from the Butterfly Horse subspecies I can breed him with my personal pet Nightlight (pictured) and you can own the foal.

Code: Select all
Username:
Name of your pet:
Subspecies:
Mixed breed or purebred(if mixed, what is the second subspecies?):
Color (Detailed description & ref pic):
Acessories:
Payment:

Different subsecies cost differently:
.The Butterfly Horse costs 2 Commons or 1 Uncommon
.The Dragonfly Horse costs 2 Commons or 1 Uncommon
.The Firefly Horse costs 2 Uncommons
.The Song Horse costs 3 Uncommons or a 2010/2011 Rare
.The Snow Horse costs a 2008/2009 Rare

**Please note, any commons or Uncommons must be from my Wishlist. Rares can be pets not on my Wishlist, that I don't mind, but I would prefer if they were from my Wishlist. If you are new and have no pets on my Wishlist, PM me and I'll work something out with you.

The lineart is my own and is still under construction for the other subspecies.
Last edited by SpartanAmethyst on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Nightlight Adopts

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Bump! Open for Customs, first premade adoptables will be coming soon!
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Bump? o.o I worked hard on this too :/
Last edited by SpartanAmethyst on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Bump!
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainy Dayz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Username: BD1
Name of your pet: Breladi
Subspecies: Song Horse
Color (description/ref pic): http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gys ... ORM=IDFRIR
Acessories: i glowstick necklace
Payment: 3 uncommans
    ImageWinter wonderlands can wait, but it's just so pretty when it's not deadly.
Rainy Dayz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 am

breyerdog1 wrote:
Username: BD1
Name of your pet: Breladi
Subspecies: Song Horse
Color (description/ref pic): http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gys ... ORM=IDFRIR
Acessories: i glowstick necklace
Payment: 3 uncommans

So you wanted him to be a song horse? You did read the species' specs, right?
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:11 am

Bump~
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Bump :/
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SpartanAmethyst » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am

Bump bump D: And guys *please* read the species specs before you request a custom, and make sure you describe it in detail. And yes, you can also request a custom giving me a subspecies, your favorties colors and a few fave things, and say "Surprise me" :)
x ================== x
x ================== x
G O O D
N I G H T
S L E E P
T I G H T
D O N ' T
L E T
T H E
M O T H M A N
S E E
Y O U R
NI G H T L I G H T

------
ARR
GSAISO
SpartanAmethyst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wowhow » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 am

Username:wowhow
Name of your pet:Sacaw
Subspecies:dragonfly horse
Mixed breed or purebred(if mixed, what is the second subspecies?):purebreed
Color (Detailed description & ref pic):
Acessories:2 feathers and a i-pod (which you don't have to put neither one if you don't want to)
Payment:sent
oh saturday sun
I met someone
out on the west coast
I gotta get back I can't let this go
wowhow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups