Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Endangered Species of the Week: Vaquita by June Bug

Artist June Bug [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 33 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
175 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Endangered Species of the Week: Vaquita

Postby June Bug » Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 am

Week 7: Vaquita
Also known as:
Cochito, Gulf of California Harbor Porpoise, Gulf of California Porpoise, Gulf Porpoise, Hafenschweinswal, Marsouin du Golfe de Californie, Vaquito

Previous weeks:
Week 1 - Pygmy Mouse Lemur
Week 2 - Hispaniolan Solenodon
Week 3: Andean Mountain Cat
Week 4: Przewalski's Horse
Week 5: Puerto Rican Amazon
Week 6: Kakapo

Next weeks:

What is Endangered Species of the Week?

Well, as some may know I'm very much an animal lover. I figured this would be a fun way for me to promote knowledge of different endangered species with both information and some visual fun. :3
Every week, on Sunday, I'll post up a new oekaki featuring a species listed on the endangered list along with some fun facts and links to more info about the species.

You're free to use any images from this series anywhere you wish as long as it's not negative in any way and you credit me. :3

You are also free to suggest next week's species.

(I'm pretty bad at being perfectly consistent though so it may not be exactly one week or on Sunday, though I'll try to be better about this.)

About

Habitat
In the past, these small porpoises lived throughout the Gulf of California. As their numbers declined, their area shrank to include only the North West section of the Gulf, specifically in shallow lagoons. It has the most limited distribution of all cetaceans. Between 1970 to 2004, they went from vulnerable to Critically endangered. Estimates of population range from 250 to 600 individuals.

Behavior
The Vaquita moves in a leisurely manner, but is very shy and can hide itself quickly if feeling threatened. Their method of breathing barely disturbs the water's surface as they lift for air.
They can travel either alone or in small groups, though pods of up to ten have been observed.
They use high frequency clicks for echolocation navigation.

Diet
These porpoises do not seem to be picky eaters and will eat many of the fish, crabs, and squid that inhabit the shallow lagoons they live in.

Fun Facts:
The Vaquita is the smallest and most endangered of the cetaceans.
It is one of the world's rarest mammals.
The oldest observed Vaquita lived to be 21.
'Vaquita' means 'little cow' in Spanish.
They are the only porpoise to live in such warm waters.

Dangers to Survival:
The main threat to these animals is the heavy fishing done in their distribution area, though not because of the reduction of food, but rather because they can easily get caught in nets, drowning them. It is thought that around 30 Vaquitas are killed each year due to such dangers.
Threats from the damming of the Colorado river are also a risk as the reduction of freshwater input changes the ecology of their habitat.

Further Reading/Sources of Information:
Last Chance for the Desert Porpoise: Vaquita Conservation
Animal Info
Defenders of Wildlife
WWF *

Side Notes: Hooray, finally a new one~ 8D Gonna go back over when I have more time to elaborate on the drawing. There's no fancy water highlighting or anything and it's bothering me. 8P
* The WWF is probably the best and most reputable resource for information on these (or any other) animals. They're a leader in wildlife conservation. If any of my info contradicts them, go with their info. My two or so hours of reading are nowhere near as good as their experts' information.
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Endangered Species of the Week: Vaquita

Postby Tammanae » Sat May 28, 2011 10:27 am

Have to love the fact the name means 'Little Cow' in Spanish. XD -Pets pretty sea creature- I actually didn't even know of these guys. Huzzah for learning something new. 8D
Tammanae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Swiftpelt26 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:27 am

I love this!!! The colours and shading are cool!
≈I was Thunderlight12≈
Sorry, but I will be on only occasionally. I will try to get on when I can but I am unsure about when. I don't know how long this will last.
Image Image Image Image
ImageImage
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=508630 : Beautiful Danger {warriors rp}, not my rp but my favourite.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=541810 : Brokenclan {warriors rp} Neighbour to Lakeclan. My rp.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=545225 : Lakeclan {warriors rp} Neighbour to Brokenclan. My rp.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=627391 : Skyclan {warrior rp} My rp.
Swiftpelt26

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby June Bug » Sat May 28, 2011 10:29 am

Tammanae wrote:
Have to love the fact the name means 'Little Cow' in Spanish. XD -Pets pretty sea creature- I actually didn't even know of these guys. Huzzah for learning something new. 8D

Heehe, Inorite? xD <3
I wanted to do a sea critter this time and I found out about 'em through a random 'endangered sea critters' search so I got to learn something new too. 8]
Thunderlight12 wrote:I love this!!! The colours and shading are cool!

Thank you ^^
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Swiftpelt26 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 am

Ever heard of a Dunong?
≈I was Thunderlight12≈
Sorry, but I will be on only occasionally. I will try to get on when I can but I am unsure about when. I don't know how long this will last.
Image Image Image Image
ImageImage
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=508630 : Beautiful Danger {warriors rp}, not my rp but my favourite.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=541810 : Brokenclan {warriors rp} Neighbour to Lakeclan. My rp.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=545225 : Lakeclan {warriors rp} Neighbour to Brokenclan. My rp.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=627391 : Skyclan {warrior rp} My rp.
Swiftpelt26

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby June Bug » Sat May 28, 2011 10:34 am

I love Dugong~ They have such funny lips. x3
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jellykiwi » Sat May 28, 2011 10:54 am

Ah, I had to research 10 endangered species for a project and I had the vaquita as one of them X3
twitter
watch me grow!!
jellykiwi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Erica~ » Sat May 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Ohh it's so cool I love it!! here a suggestion for next weeks: Amur Leopard.
~Erica~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby June Bug » Sat May 28, 2011 4:27 pm

~(KW)Zzz!~ wrote:Ah, I had to research 10 endangered species for a project and I had the vaquita as one of them X3

I hope you did well on it~ x3
~Erica~ wrote:Ohh it's so cool I love it!! here a suggestion for next weeks: Amur Leopard.

I'll put 'em on my list. ;3

Added a little bit of watery-nessness to it, though I dunno how I like the look of the shiny bits added to the porpoise itself. :P Might nix that and just leave it at the background shine.
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tammanae » Sat May 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Porpoise shineys look good, so I vote leave them. 8D It adds more life to the drawing. C=
Tammanae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me