Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Hi, I'm new to Oekaki. Can I have some help please? by Into the Sky

Artist Into the Sky [gallery]
Time spent 6 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Hi, I'm new to Oekaki. Can I have some help please?

Postby Into the Sky » Thu May 12, 2011 11:17 am

Hello, I'm new to Oekaki. My username is sharpclawwarriors, or you could call me sharpclaw. I am a girl. I joined Chicken Smoothie in March 2011. I have a few questions. I am not able to post on the forums (exept for this one). Is that because I am underaged? And why can't I post a note while trading? Is that also because I am underaged? If the answer is underaged, what age do you have to be for forums? Is there anything to be able to post earlier? Now I have some questions about Oekaki. Can you please explain the tools? Can you please give me some tips on how to draw the best? I'd like it if you'd add me as a friend, and I'd love it if you would send me a trade offer.

Thanks,
Sharpclaw :D
Into the Sky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Hi, I'm new to Oekaki. Can I have some help please?

Postby Atwood » Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm

COPPAed players can only post in the Oekaki boards and can't send PMs, send trade messages or edit their signature and avatar. COPPA stands for the Child Online Privacy Protection Act, and it's an act made by the US government to protect children under 13 from posting identifying information online. Under COPPA, children in the US who are under 13 can't post in any online forum unless their parent/guardian signs a COPPA permission form to waive COPPA or every post they make is pre-checked by a moderator before becoming visible to make sure there's no personal information in it. The main forums on CS are blocked to COPPA users, but we let them post in the Oekaki because there's a smaller volume of posts here - all COPPA posts here are checked and approved by a mod before they're made visible, so the COPPA players can have somewhere to post. ^^ There's more information on COPPA here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=125396

As for drawing well in the Oekaki, I'm afraid someone else will have to help you with that, since I'm pretty bad at it myself. XD The basic tips I can give you are:

1. Make separate layers for your lineart, colouring, shading, and background. You can make a new layer by clicking the little + sign at the bottom of the layers box on the right, and name it by double-clicking on the name and writing in the name you want. ^^ Only draw your lines in your Lines layer, only colour in the Colour layer, etc. You can change the order of layers in the layers box by dragging them to where you want them.

2. To have your colouring under your lines, make sure to have your layers organized something like this (from top to bottom):
Lines
Shading/Highlights
Colour
Background

3. Think of each layer as an overlapping clear sheet of paper - whatever you draw on one sheet has no effect on any of the others. This means that to fill in one area with colour, you need to outline the whole area you want filled in on your Colour layer first - go to your Colour layer and use the pen or pencil to trace along your outermost lines (which should be in the Lines layer) with a single colour, and once it's completely outlined, fill it in with the 'flood fill' tool (the bucket second from the top). :3 Touch up any blank spaces with the pen in the same colour. It doesn't matter what colour you use for this, just that you use the same colour for the whole thing at this point.

4. The best part - once you have your colouring area completely lined out and filled as described above, you can lock the alpha on the Colour layer by clicking the Lock Alpha box in the layers box while the Colour layer is selected. As long as Lock Alpha is on, that layer will only let you colour in the area that was already coloured, so your colour will always stay within the lines! ^^ Now you can colour your art in the way you want it without covering your lines or going out of them. :3

5. Don't try to use white as an eraser. X3
Atwood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lierre » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi and welcome! You are a COPPAed user. That means you are under 13 and can't post unless a parent or guardian sends in a permission slip. Then you can post on the other forum. COPPAs can't send trade messages or send Private Messages. As for drawing it helps to create a different layer for the background, subject, etc. I also find that it helps to color in linearts in the "Editable" section. http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=31 If tool has a different use. Be sure to practice with each one. I hope this helps! :D Enjoy Chicken Smoothie and all the different features! Ask me if you have any more questions about anything!
Lierre

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anni~the~BOSS » Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Of coarse I add you as a friend :D :D :D :D Ahhh... I remember when I first joined 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
This place rocks!!! \m/>.<\m/
Anni~the~BOSS

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Into the Sky » Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Ok! Thank you very much for all the help!

Again, please feel free to add me or trade with me! (Since I can't post them, I'll post whatever trade messages I need to say here.)
Into the Sky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sorren Fey » Thu May 12, 2011 11:05 pm

You questions have been answered and this is not a trade forum.
Sorren Fey
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me