Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

I miss them by Raptocidic

Artist Raptocidic [gallery]
Time spent 24 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

I miss them

Postby Raptocidic » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm

Giving away childhood toys was such a bad idea in hindsight. I only got rid of them because the entire family were doing a big clear out and I was under a lot of pressure to get rid of something. and the "oh you haven't played with those in years!" "You're grown up now, you don't need them". I wish I didn't cave to the pressure.

I miss my plastic dinosaurs the most. I collected them when I was young, during the time that dinosaurs & fossils were my special interest. Those scientifically inaccurate plastic dinosaurs meant lot to me. Many I cannot find for sale anywhere and others I've found for sale but they're vintage and wayy out of my price range. So far I've only managed to re-buy two from my childhood.

Most notably there were two Styracosaurus (?) that were purple. One had longer horns than the other had shorter horns (i think they were supposed to be a male/female pair?). I intended to keep those but they got put back with the ones we were giving away, and I didn't notice until it was too late. I cannot find these two for sale anywhere. I've looked everywhere and no. Can't even find them on google images. Its like they never existed. I will keep looking but I've had no luck so far. Loosing these two bugs me a lot because I intended to keep them, but somehow didn't.

On another note I'm SO glad I managed to stand my ground on keeping my plushies. I also managed to save some plushies from other people who were going to get rid of theirs. I still actively collect plush so I think people were less pushy on those.

I think I might make characters inspired by the ones I wish I still had. I still have characters I made up as a child after all, whilst they've changed a lot they originated from that original after all. Each toy had a personality, backstory and often name, so taking those old ideas to use as inspiration would sort of make sense.
Raptocidic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: I miss them

Postby Riley ♥ » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:32 pm

I know the feeling. My parents gave away most of my childhood toys without my knowledge because they said I'd grown out of them, so there was no need for them anymore. I had hundreds of Littlest Pet Shops and old My Little Ponies that I would spend hours and hours playing with, and it felt so strange for them to be gone in an instant, even if I had no intention of playing with them anymore.

☆ riley ❤ she/her ❤ adult ☆
art shopart gallery
☆ artist for goobies
castkitty

design tos
toyhouse
oekaki

Riley ♥

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: I miss them

Postby Raptocidic » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:04 pm

Riley ♥ wrote:I know the feeling. My parents gave away most of my childhood toys without my knowledge because they said I'd grown out of them, so there was no need for them anymore. I had hundreds of Littlest Pet Shops and old My Little Ponies that I would spend hours and hours playing with, and it felt so strange for them to be gone in an instant, even if I had no intention of playing with them anymore.

It is difficult. Its been a few years and I'm not still over them, and it was technically a choice for me. A heavily pressured, already decided for you choice, but not one I couldn't have changed if I had stood my ground. And it is something I would have stood my ground for as a child. I think I wanted to be seen as mature and so went along with it. I had parted with toys in the past but it didn't feel anything like this, at least not long term. I'm lucky I kept a small handful of the dinos. At least is still have those, I put those on my shelf along with my plush. It brings me a sort of joy seeing them there.
Raptocidic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me