Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Fauna by Sixbane

Artist Sixbane [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 10 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
74 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Fauna

Postby Sixbane » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:36 am

I've been working on developing some world races/species within my character world; as ive been knuckling down on wanting to get it more rounded out. I know a lot of this already; but want to actually get info written out and drawn out for fun

(I also might just really like drawing fauns and want an excuse to do so so these are what im working on this week)

Fauna (yes its a pun name, sue me it was hilarious when i was tired in bed at 4 in the morning)**; Are a race dwelling within the forest of the Seventh, known as the home and blessed land of the god of nature, a tangle of thick undergrowth and deep forests full of animal and floral life. They are direct servants to the nature god, created by the god for the purposes of being his caretakers of the plant world and his eternal gardeners.
**this probably wont be their full indicated species name or what they call themselves; this is just a temporary placeholder name

They are formed when the god summons them, and otherwise cannot reproduce. They live extremely long lifespans, and rarely die. Upon their creation, they are attached to a form of plant that becomes soulbound to them. They are then instilled with the duty from thereon to take care of as many of these plants as possible, growing and helping them flourish. This can be out in the normal forests- but it is most frequently in their own city; known as the Great Garden. A place where Nature has dictated the fauna to keep his plants alive so that they may be preserved for eternity. They take their duties extremely seriously, and instances of these plants not doing well or being harmed will very quickly drive them to anxiety. Some are lucky enough to be blessed with easy to care for plants and as such have other pursuits- others have difficult ones that can take up their entire lives just to maintain. This is just luck of the draw.

They are not fighters, and would much prefer to flee than fight. They can deliver a nasty kick with their hooves if necessary. They prefer to remain in secrecy, and very rarely interact with the humans or other sentient races, preferring to hide in the forests as deep as they can. They see humans as barbarians who storm through all the plant life without regard for its safety (which, comparatively- isn't entirely incorrect; though they are probably a little more harsh in their deductions than necessary). The only exceptions to their isolation is the circle of druids of the seventh: who have an alliance with these creatures. They show respect for the forest- so the fauna in turn show loyalty to them. Offering their knowledge and guidance.

They have a very light playful language made of squeaking sounds and small words, they prefer not to talk though and finding a chatty one is quite rare. Most of them would prefer to just listen to the forest. Their culture celebrates the forest and nature's wishes- and dances and music are a heavy part of it too. They have both a deep reverence and fear for nature- and you'll rarely find one willing to combat the 'wrath' of the wild. Whether this is storms or natural disasters, animals in danger of natural ailments, or sickness. They believe this things are the will of the natural world and therefore not in their power to intervene upon. Though they come across as gentle and soft (And this isn't entirely untrue) they are EXTREMELY stubborn to their way of life and won't tolerate any infringements upon this. They are very easily offended and base a lot on first impressions.

-They have no pupils; and their eyesight is not very good. They don't really need it in the tangle of the woods. Their 'sight' relies on being in tune with nature, rather than traditional sight, and listening to the warnings and alerts of the trees around them. As a result they are adept at sensing dangers early and navigating the woods even in the darkness. Their hearing and sense of smell is far better than a humans, however. Due of course to their more deer-like nose and ears
-They have no gender identities in their culture. Since reproduction/biological features are irrelevant, they simply never developed them since they served no societal purpose in their eyes. They simply dress and present themselves as they wish and only refer to each other by name, or by certain squeaks in their native language. Their lack of pronoun use often makes their language come across as odd or stunted when they speak in other languages.
-Their top half is human-like skin, while their bottom half is furred and more similar to a deer. Their fur is silky and soft. Fur can grow on other areas of their top half (arms, shoulders, face, ect) and the cut-off can be higher or lower, it does vary between individuals.
-Their long lion-like tails allow balance when wandering the forests, and the style/length varies between individuals.
-Their legs are long and thin, and their hooves are cloven

In the main story, they play an important role in offering a line of communication between the mage's school of ipus and the god of nature- being the race closest to this god makes them in a unique position to negotiate. (Not that they're always willing to do so). The druids act as a mediator between the two. After the collapse and the great war, the Fauna work to keep the great red forests alive despite a ruined landscape around it, preserving many plants and animals who would have been lost to time if not for their aid. They are eventually freed from their burden to choose a life outside the forests if they so choose.
I'm not really active here anymore, hmu @ Sixbane on TH/DA/Discord instead
Sixbane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fauna

Postby FerretMonarch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 am

Would you see it rude to ask a couple questions about them?
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixbane » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:52 am

FerretMonarch wrote:Would you see it rude to ask a couple questions about them?

Not at all! I'd appreciate questions to help along with development if you had any
Sixbane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:04 pm

... I have a lot and I didn't want to just plop down the 87 million questions my mind is racing with cause most people don't want all those questions, but I'm very happy you do! So thank you!!

These Fauna (lovely name btw) they're bound to a certain plant species yeah? So, if I'm correct in that thought, are other Fauna delegated to that species as well or just one singular creature? Going along with that, if it is more then one Fauna taking care of a single species then can the Faunas band together and give tips and tricks to one another to make it easier?

Are there any evasive species (animal or plant) that they have to worry about? If there is envasive plant species do Fauna take care of those as well? How would there be envasive plant species? Miscalculations on the Fauna taking of that species' part? Do they also take care of mushrooms as they aren't techincally catergorized as a plant or animal? (fungi are weird)

Do Fauna have any natural predators? Or are they an apex species?

In regards to the Fauna's design themselves do they all have fawn spots or are they considered something like freckles are to humans?

Is their fur colored like a deer's always or can they be colored in different or 'unnatural' colors like their hair? Does their hair color correlate to which plant species they take care of?

Do Fauna's coats/ hair correlate to their designated plant species? (EX: Would a Fauna taking care of a Venus Fly Trap have spikey hair like the Fly Trap? (Feelers, teeth, whatever kinda is on the outside of the Fly Trap when it closes)
Venus-flytrap-courtesy-SciTechDaily-1500-x-844.jpg
Venus-flytrap-courtesy-SciTechDaily-1500-x-844.jpg (116.81 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Did the Fauna participate in the Great War? Do they have powers in relation to their species they take care of or do they just have a 'humanish' no magic thing goin on?

(Sorry for all the questions and thank you for answering)
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixbane » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:37 pm

No worries! Im happy to share/develop and consider them- smtimes new questions help give new ideas y'know

These Fauna (lovely name btw) they're bound to a certain plant species yeah? So, if I'm correct in that thought, are other Fauna delegated to that species as well or just one singular creature? Going along with that, if it is more then one Fauna taking care of a single species then can the Faunas band together and give tips and tricks to one another to make it easier?

Absolutely! Multiple fauna can work together on one plant species and entirely work together, it tends to depend on the needs of the nature god and when they were formed/what purpose they were formed for; and they actually divide their village up into sections/tiers where each plant species subsist isolated (so multiple members of the species will sort of tend to that one tiered small 'farm' for that plant); though this is largely helpful- it can also lead to infighting when they disagree on a way to take care of the plant or one causes trouble for the others so its a bit of a double edged sword- especially since they can be very stubborn when they think they're right

Are there any evasive species (animal or plant) that they have to worry about? If there is envasive plant species do Fauna take care of those as well? How would there be envasive plant species? Miscalculations on the Fauna taking of that species' part? Do they also take care of mushrooms as they aren't techincally catergorized as a plant or animal? (fungi are weird)

There aren't invasive plant species! Not in their garden anyway. Since they are patroned by the god of nature, he prevents unwanted plants from expanding into their central city/garden area- not unless they're designated to grow. They do take some measures to make sure they don't get too close (like salting the ground, or just digging up and moving the weeds). They don't tend to like harming plants given the nature of their purpose. But this is rare and more of a case of an outside plant expanding into the 'safe zone' rather than actually growing within it. Invasive animals are more of an issue, as little critters will try and get at their plants- but part of their duties is preventing that so they use all sorts of strategies to keep them away; (Bad smells/bait and traps/fences/ect - with a focus on relocating rather than harming of course) But since the plants are their whole lives, essentially- there's almost always someone on duty to watch the plot holding their soulbound plant (so it wouldn't be particularly easy for something to sneak in and take them)

If there were to be any invasive plants- it would probably be some irresponsible fauna just letting their little garden plot grow out of control/not trimming it down as they should. That's plausible to happen- though its more than likely their elders will notice and get it under wraps before it causes lasting damage.

They do take care of some kinds of mushrooms! While they arent exactly plants, mushrooms are also viable for the nature god's garden so there are mushroom keepers, they typically stay in the caverns below the roots of one of the giant trees that make up the middle of their city in order to grow these, however.

Do Fauna have any natural predators? Or are they an apex species?

They aren't bothered within their city- due to the fact it's a safe zone blessed by their god (he spurns away all animals with intent to harm his gardeners); but creatures in the forests outside the city won't hesitate to try and go after them if they find them outside. Their main threat along this regard is a quilled bear-like creature that frequents the deep forests, and its massive size makes it a dangerous thing to stumble on. Generally speaking, the fauna are pretty good at reading the wildlife though and don't really get themselves into dangerous situations terribly often.

In regards to the Fauna's design themselves do they all have fawn spots or are they considered something like freckles are to humans?

Is their fur colored like a deer's always or can they be colored in different or 'unnatural' colors like their hair? Does their hair color correlate to which plant species they take care of?

They don't! The fawn spots was more of an example thing haha, It is a common marking/genetic thing with them; but isn't required- freckles would probably be an apt description (not uncommon, but not every one has them); Their fur can be any color since it is a fantasy world; though natural colors that let them navigate the forests easier are usually more commonly favored by the nature god; as he wouldn't want his gardeners to go getting themselves eaten being bright rainbow in a forest y'know. Their hair colors can be pretty flashy though! Normally though- they choose their own hair colors, they do a lot of hair dying with some of the dyes they are able to make from their plants (have to use all the plants they harvest somehow); in some ways it's also their way of giving themselves individuality when they don't really have much control over their appearance beyond that (and clothes of course- though clothing is a little limited for them). Nature will just give them weird hair colors sometimes; though. Most of the time he has some idea in mind for what he wants them to look like, or he just lets the soul he's using to form them speak to him and creates an identity for them that way. (That gets into lore about souls and their role and thats a little complicated)

When nature creates them- he tends to assign them plants based on their looks- rather than the other way around. Sometimes he'll give them a funky one (usually if he has something specific needing done and the individual just doesn't visually suit it) but if you get one that has purple hair, well lavender might be your first fit

Do Fauna's coats/ hair correlate to their designated plant species? (EX: Would a Fauna taking care of a Venus Fly Trap have spikey hair like the Fly Trap? (Feelers, teeth, whatever kinda is on the outside of the Fly Trap when it closes)

^ same as above, it can be a coincidence or purposeful from the nature god; but oftentimes the fauna are deeply obsessed with their plants and caring for them; so they'll end up looking a lot like their plant just based on individual/personal choices in hairstyle/clothing/accessory- wanting to represent what they care for

Did the Fauna participate in the Great War? Do they have powers in relation to their species they take care of or do they just have a 'humanish' no magic thing goin on?

They did not! The Great War was an external war that caused a lot of damage elsewhere- but they kept true to their duties to defend their garden, and preserve the plant life. The nature god receded into the forest and kept them and the garden safe; knowing that the plants inside were extremely important to begin regrowing after the destruction caused in the following collapse. After the great war- a magical barrier was erected by the druid circle to keep the city safe and prevent anyone from reaching it (related to the collapse- but thats another tangent) So they lived isolated for a long while before emerging again.
They do have some powers over nature! Enticing things to grow and protecting plants from the elements. They prefer a more hands on approach, but they aren't averse to using their natural powers to do a bit of manipulating to keep the garden safe and healthy. Theoretically- they could also use healing magic, but they rarely have a need to. They do think humans shouldn't have magic (Because its more harm than good) and often are quite judgemental of humans who use it.

Sixbane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:47 pm

Ahh! Thank you for andwering all of my questions! This makes me very wxcited and I can't wait to see more of these guys!

Your character world seems very thoughtout and thorough and that also makes me very excited!

I can't wait to see what you draw next!!

(Definitely not flopping on my bed grinning like a lunatic because you answered. Never that.)
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:09 am

such an amazing race
lurkin!