Forum rules
Anthro Art must follow our Code of Conduct rules regarding nudity.
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Help Me Understand the Water Color Brush (Please) by Error

Artist Error [gallery]
Time spent 19 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
32 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Help Me Understand the Water Color Brush (Please)

Postby Error » Fri May 07, 2021 4:33 pm

For awhile there I kept seeing people saying how they only use Chicken Paint for the Water Color brush or how artists use it the most for their drawings. Meanwhile, I cannot figure it out or what settings to use for it to make it work for me? The blender brush is likewise and I'm guessing someone might have some tips and tricks on using the blender brush.

Mostly: Help me understand how to use the water color brush, every time I try it ends up a mess. Example, that cotton candy?? looking mess on this drawing was done with the water color brush. I just don't understand. Please give me all the tips and tricks for using this weird brush.
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Help Me Understand the Water Color Brush (Please)

Postby gardog » Sat May 08, 2021 5:33 am

It really depends upon what you want to do with it. If you're using it to blend, you have to have it on the same color layer that you want to blend it with (it's also recommended that you turn down the opacity quite a bit to get a smoother blend). From there, it's just playing with the settings to find the balance you're looking for.

For example, if you're looking to make some soft, puffy clouds, then turn up the scatter to the amount of puffiness you want and turn up the color to make it look less like a blurry blob with barely any opacity. Turning up the opacity will make the outer scatter look more pronounced (and less cloud-like), so turning up the color instead of the opacity is good for that.

It's really just changing a bunch of settings and finding what works best for you.

That being said though, I don't personally use it that often unless I'm trying to go for a more realistic look, so I am, by no means, a professional when it comes to the watercolor tool, haha

She/They | Adult | Christian
Aries | March 27

Bisexual | INTJ | Ravenclaw
Sings And Plays Guitar

Digital Artist
Oekaki Art Shop | Offsite Art Shop

Loves Pandas | Legally Blind
Has Social Anxiety | Has Anxiety In General

Timezone EST/EDT

gardog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Error » Sat May 08, 2021 3:45 pm

@gardog - that's some good tips about making clouds using it! Thank you! I've done some realistic-ish drawings on here before and never really thought of using the watercolor tool.
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby JK341 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:01 pm

i rarely use the water color on here myself unless im doing character markings and need something with a soft (but not too soft) look to it. Hard to describe that but i feel its somewhere in between the air brush and pen as far as softness goes. x)

In that case since i will be working layer by layer i push the Color (not opacity) up to full so it wont give me any unwanted white streaking to start out. ^^
Adult | He/Him

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Error » Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 pm

J-and-K341 wrote:i rarely use the water color on here myself unless im doing character markings and need something with a soft (but not too soft) look to it. Hard to describe that but i feel its somewhere in between the air brush and pen as far as softness goes. x)

In that case since i will be working layer by layer i push the Color (not opacity) up to full so it wont give me any unwanted white streaking to start out. ^^

Oooh that's good to know! I didn't know there was a way to avoid the white streaking!
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arctic Fox » Sat May 08, 2021 5:18 pm

i really rarely use it
i just use the airbrush on higher opacity for that look

Arctic Fox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 am

This art is cute!
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups