Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

hi i may be stupid by avoxx

Artist avoxx [gallery]
Time spent 5 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
23 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

hi i may be stupid

Postby avoxx » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:08 am

i didnt know the plural of cherry was cherries
my native language is english, im just dumb.

anyway pls hand over tips, i may be an artist but okekai greatly confuses me, anything helps, shajkasjkls

"Oh are you kidding!?"
xNico/Ferris - It/Ce - Sys

emo dog artist who honestly
has too much and too little
time on his hands. not
much more beyond that.
have a weird history with
this site tbh. send a pm if
we owe you art or anything
else 👍
xxxxxxxxxxx©
avoxx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: hi i may be stupid

Postby arcanewilde » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:25 am

for the longest time I didnt know that you can turn on/off pen pressure for all the tools
arcanewilde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby prisms. » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:56 am

ok time to dump some of the stuff I've learned

Greater smoothing - the less shaky your stroke will be

Want lineless? I usually just line something with 1 color and then fill it in,, you can lock alpha too to add details once its filled in

Vivid light is handy for altering colors,,, just fill in a new layer w a color and turn down the opactity,, you can also draw w different colors on that layer, for ex I like doing details w white on that layer

right click a color swatch for options to replace or remove it!

ctrl y = transform,, handy for resizing stuff

thats all I got, hope this helps!!
Quitting cs, wont be v active here,
Carrd has places to find me I guess

toyhouse
prisms.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby coelagirl » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 am

You can also get to transform from the bottom of the edit drop down menu! That just has an effect on the area you have selected. I use a tablet so i cant use keyboard shortcuts lol.
And that turning pen pressure off/on applies to opacity and scattering too! Clicking those little circles next to the meters in the tool options box does that.
Sister | Toyhouse | ArtFight
I was chosendragon | Ugly bag of mostly water
Coel (say "seal") | she/her/hers | adult | BLM

coelagirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rockdove » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 am

Pixel art setting:
Pencil
round pixel
2-4 px

Other:
~Clip tool is your best friend for coloring in complicated designs, but you can't merge down without it losing it's clip.
~You can go on a ref, color pick, and add the colors to the palate, and then download the file of colors to access them later if you plan on binge drawing a character, or even for commissions, as hex codes can be tedious
~The effects tab is really fun to mess around with, but be careful, eye strain.
~FOLDERS ARE VERY USEFUL LMAOO

This is all I can provide at the moment, as I'm not great with oekaki either, but if I find anything new, I'll edit this C:

pidgeon
any pronouns
Young adult
toyhouse is skyrat
commissions are open, dm for info
rockdove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Buzz Aesthetic » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:54 am

while there is no lasso tool for oekaki you can still get around it by duplicating your layer, erasing everything you dont want to move on one of the layers, and erasing everything you want to move on the other layer ( it shouldnt change how your drawing looks, just separate it into two pieces) then you can transform the one you want to transform all you want without messing up the other half, once youre done just merge them back to one layer.

the fillbucket tool sucks, obviously. one way to get around it is when you start your coloring phase of drawing, use the round pixel pencil brush (see the dropdown menu at the top of the brush settings) and just go along the inside edge of your drawing. and once your done, double check if you've missed any gaps by hiding your line layer. you can use the fillbucket tool to fill it in, then any sharp edges or pixels showing through your lines you can soften using the round hard edge pencil with pen pressure on opacity and lightly brushing along the edges where the pixels show through until theyre softer.

there is no way to color pick for the colors in the gradient tool, but if you match it as close as you can to the color you have in the Color tool box you can get the colors you need! the gradient tool is really nice for changing lighting or colors, using multiple layers is suggested!

if you have multiple layers but want to merge them, start by merging any layers with an effect on them (such as multiply, screen, lighten, etc.) (no this doesnt work with the clip tool) it'll help keep the effect while youre merging!

The Sample All layers box is used to make the Watercolor & Smear brushes see the entire canvas instead of just the layer youre working with

while you can use the airbrush tool, sometimes it looks nicer to use the Pencil tool (round hard edge, Pen pressure on opacity) to made a gradient instead, like lightly color with the color you want to turn the gradient into until you have a nice smooth transition, going back through and adding the inbetween colors can make it even smaller!
Screenshot_184.png
Screenshot_184.png (14.38 KiB) Viewed 82 times

Screenshot_185.png
Screenshot_185.png (19.3 KiB) Viewed 82 times
bees are pretty cool
x

if you need to contact me, please do so thru toyhouse <3
Buzz Aesthetic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avoxx » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:01 pm

CrowBee wrote:Pixel art setting:
Pencil
round pixel
2-4 px

Other:
~Clip tool is your best friend for coloring in complicated designs, but you can't merge down without it losing it's clip.
~You can go on a ref, color pick, and add the colors to the palate, and then download the file of colors to access them later if you plan on binge drawing a character, or even for commissions, as hex codes can be tedious
~The effects tab is really fun to mess around with, but be careful, eye strain.
~FOLDERS ARE VERY USEFUL LMAOO

This is all I can provide at the moment, as I'm not great with oekaki either, but if I find anything new, I'll edit this C:
'

lil tip from me to you! you can keep a clip when merging, put whatever you want to merge into a folder and right click, then do merge folder! it'll keep the clipping :>

also like thanks guys! hfdhkj definitely pretty helpful, haha

"Oh are you kidding!?"
xNico/Ferris - It/Ce - Sys

emo dog artist who honestly
has too much and too little
time on his hands. not
much more beyond that.
have a weird history with
this site tbh. send a pm if
we owe you art or anything
else 👍
xxxxxxxxxxx©