Single

Job Title;
Cemetery Groundskeeper

Likes;
Nighttime, her cemetery, solitude, singing, stars, staying home

Dislikes;
Big crowds, attention, her eyes, shopping, rumors,

Personality;
lonely • shy • socially awkward • perceptive • emotional • tragedy-prone • musical • caring

Melpomene is an extremely self-conscious introverted loner. She has been alone most of her life, whether literally alone or just emotionally alone. And honestly, she mostly prefers it this way. Mel absolutely hates her third eye, and tends to avoid others out of fear that they will make fun of her for it or judge her harshly. To keep attention off herself, and to avoid others as much as possible, she even has chosen a career working nights in a cemetery. It just so happens that she actually likes working there; she finds the quiet peaceful, and sometimes likes to sing or hum quietly to herself during the night while she works. She spends a lot of time tending to the trees and plants that grow there, or planting new ones around graves that haven't been visited recently. She takes a lot of pride in her work, and the graves she tends to are always kept neat and tidy, out of respect for the deceased. Sometimes, she has even been known to chase off potential vandals, earning her the nickname of 'The Ghost of Greenwood Cemetery,' or just 'The Greenwood Ghost.' It has evolved to the point where the local kids even believe there really is a ghost in the cemetery, and sometimes on Halloween they will dare each other to go into the graveyard at night to see if they can spot her. (Mel hates Halloween for this reason.)

Speaking of the deceased, another reason Mel has chosen to seclude herself to nighttime cemetery work is her strange gift: Melpomene can see and communicate with spirits. She uses this gift to speak to the spirits that linger around the cemetery, and help them to find peace so that they can cross over. (wip)

Mel is extremely emotional and even the slightest thing can make her upset. She only has one friend, due to all these things, but if anyone else is out there who would be sensitive and patient enough to befriend her, she is a loyal friend and cares fiercely for those who matter to her. She's very selfless and always puts others before herself. (wip)

Family and Friends;
Samantha, best friend -- owned by hazilnut
Eniko, friend -- owned by néktar

Art;
Last edited by vee. on Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 am, edited 9 times in total.
Image Image Image
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Hi, I'm Vee and I love you! ♥
    » I was Vellamore previously~
    » I am taking a temporary break from CS while I get my life in order. I will return someday!! Contact me on dA at yes-deer or on Discord at vee#2913
    » Commissions are closed.

about medA account
my kalons

vee.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Cup Kit #30 - Melpomene - Character Development

Postby vee. » Wed May 03, 2017 4:41 pm

Character Development!

Questions;
1. What’s one thing that’s happened to you that has made you a stronger person?
Learning about my ability to speak with the deceased, and realizing that I had the power to help these people.

2. What’s one thing that’s happened to you in your life that made you feel weak?
When I lost Irene. I had finally opened up to someone and she just disappeared. It wasn't her fault of course, or mine, but I still felt weak.

3. Where is your favorite place to escape to?
I love spending time in the cemetery where I work. Most others think that's strange, but I find it to be a beautiful place-- and I'm the one who helps keep it that way!

4. Who do you think has had the largest influence on the person you are today?
Irene, definitely. If I hadn't met her spirit, I would have never been so motivated to help other spirits.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
I wish I didn't have three eyes. I don't like all the stares from strangers.

6. What decade do you feel you most belong in?
Hah. Probably the stone age. Before society existed and made me an outcast.

7. What is your favorite quality about your best friend?
My best friend is Samantha-- I love how she can stay so optimistic all the time, even though she has it so rough.

8. When you were younger what did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
I... didn't have a regular childhood, so I don't know what I wanted to be when I was young.

9. Do you easily accept compliments? Or do you hate compliments?
I really don't accept them easily at all. I usually think someone is trying to make fun of me if they say something nice.

10. What is your favorite physical attribute about yourself?
My hair and my ears I guess? They make it easier to hide my eyes and my face.

11. What is your favorite non-physical attribute about yourself?
I didn't like it at first, but now I suppose I really do like my ability to communicate with spirits.

12. Do you believe in love at first sight?
No.

13. Do you believe in soul mates?
No again. I don't believe in much of that stereotypical love stuff.

14. How seriously do you take horoscopes?
You'd think since I'm a psychic I'd be super into them, but I'm actually not.

15. Have you ever been in love? How many times?
Yes. I've been in love twice.

16. What makes you fall in love with someone?
I don't know really. It's just... sort of happened, and I don't realize until I'm in too deep.

17. What does vulnerability mean to you? What has the ability to make you vulnerable?
If I didn't have my hair to cover my eyes, I'd feel extremely vulnerable. Not being able to hide my insecurities or the things that make me strange would be horrible to me.

18. What’s one thing you’d love to learn more about?
I'd really love to know why I can see and hear spirits. I know how it works by now, and how to tell them apart from the living, but I've always been curious why I can do these things in the first place.

19. What is something you’ve never done that you’ve always wanted to do?
I've never had my hair and makeup done or been to a fancy event... I think it would be nice to get all dressed up and actually look pretty for once.

20. Why haven’t you done it yet?
I'd never really want to actually go out anywhere all dolled up like that, I wouldn't want the attention.

21. If money didn’t matter, what would your dream job be?
Uh... I guess doing what I do now, helping spirits find peace and cross over. I don't get paid for that anyway, but if money didn't matter, I guess I wouldn't have to work at the cemetery also.

22. What was the last thing that made you cry?
Ugh it literally could have been anything. I cry a lot, I don't remember the last time particularly.

23. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
Probably Samantha telling me a funny story.

24. What is your favorite memory?
My favorite memories are from the summer I spent with Irene. Before I knew everything I know now.

25. What’s the last thing that REALLY embarrassed you?
A kit caught sight of my third eye when I was in the grocery store the other day, and he stared at me the whole time I was in the store. I actually didn't end up buying all the things I needed because I was so anxious to leave.

26. What is your biggest fear?
Losing Samantha. Even though I know I'll outlive her, I don't imagine her spirit will linger, because she won't have any unfinished business. I don't know what I'll do without her.

27. Do you have any regrets? What’s your biggest one?
If I had known Irene was going to disappear, I would have told her exactly how I felt about her and not been so afraid. Well... at least, I wish I would have.

28. What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
I had to sneak into someone's backyard once, to find something that belonged to a spirit so I could place the item on the spirit's grave, and I was so so scared the whole time!! But in the end, I helped that spirit cross over, and it was worth it.

29. What’s your favorite joke?
What is a ghost's favorite food?
Scream cheese!

30. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
Cat person probably. They're quieter, and they don't need as much attention.

31. If you could be any animal, what animal would you be?
Um, a chameleon maybe, so I could make myself invisible?

32. What’s one show, movie, or book, you’re embarrassed to admit you enjoy?
Ugh... I love Casper. I think he's so sweet and sad.

33. What’s something you believe in that not everyone else does?
Haha. Ghosts, obviously. Not so much that I believe in them as I know they exist.

34. What’s one thing that makes you unique from other people?
Again, I can talk to ghosts. And I can see them so clearly that I didn't know the difference until I was around 20.

35. What is one thing you feel your life is missing?
Family. I never had much of a relationship with my parents and that's not really something you can replace.
Last edited by vee. on Fri May 05, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

» I am taking a temporary break from CS while I get my life in order. I will return someday!! Contact me on dA at yes-deer or on Discord at vee#2913

about medA account
my kalons

vee.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Cup Kit #30 - Melpomene

Postby vee. » Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 am

I always knew I was different.
I never could've imagined what was really going on.

"Good night, sir, see you tomorrow. Beautiful service today," I said quietly to my boss as he nodded to me and moseyed back up the path to the parking lot. He was headed home for the day, and my shift had just started, though I'd caught the end of the day's last ceremony. I turned back toward the empty plot of land, where moments ago, two dozen kalons stood solemnly, silently, save for the occasional sniffle. I walked up and stood beside the freshly packed dirt, and placed my hand on the cool stone slab that lay before it. "How long until they stop coming to visit you, too?" I wondered aloud, tracing the name carved into the headstone.

Not many kalons would choose to make a living as a groundskeeper at a cemetery, nevermind working the night shift. But it suits me perfectly-- I rarely have to interact with anyone, save for the occasional co-worker, and when there are visitors, I keep my distance out of respect. Personally, I find it to be a peaceful place. I do most of my work at night, since it's usually empty after dark, and I can get things done by the light of the moon and the stars, without disturbing anyone.

I turned away from the newly dug grave, intending to begin the night's duties, when I spotted a figure some distance away, seated on one of the benches by the path. Surprised to see someone still here so close to dark, I approached her slowly, and cleared my throat as I came up beside her, so as not to startle her.

"Excuse me, miss, were you here for Mrs. Markham's service?" I asked her softly. "I believe everyone else is leaving now, I wouldn't want you to get left behind."

The young woman looked up at me with pale eyes that held a hint of sadness. She was silent at first, regarding me carefully before speaking. "I was just visiting someone," she finally told me, in a small, velvety voice.

"Oh, then in that case, take all the time you need. Sorry to have bothered you," I replied, bowing my head and making my way back up the main path.

When I reached the shed where the equipment and gardening tools were kept, I turned back to get another look at the girl-- but she had already gone. I scanned the grounds carefully, sweeping my gaze back and forth, but saw no sign of her. I furrowed my brow, but shrugged it off, grabbed the keys to the lawnmower, and got to work.

-----

The next night brought with it a cloudless sky, and the moon shone brightly down on me as I weeded around the flat-marked graves, clearing the overgrown bits of grass from the edges, so the inscriptions could be seen properly. The air was beautifully balmy, and I hummed a quiet tune to myself as I worked.

"That's beautiful," came a voice, startling me as I whipped my head around to see who was there.

It was that same girl from the day before, with the sad, pale eyes. I blushed in embarrassment, and sat back on my heels.

"Sorry, I... didn't know anyone else was still here," I stuttered. "This place is usually empty at night."

The girl shrugged and gazed around. "I'm not afraid," she told me. "I've heard the stories-- about the spirit who guards Greenwood Cemetery at night, how she'll capture intruders and bury them alive." I blushed deeper, and lowered my head, pretending to be focused on the task at hand. "The stories are about you, aren't they?" she asked.

I nodded, without looking up.

"Well you're not a ghost, and I don't imagine someone with such a pretty singing voice would have the guts to bury folks alive." She chuckled quietly to herself.

I met her gaze finally, and smiled faintly despite myself. "Thank you," I mumbled. "I don't know how the stories started really; I chased off some vandals one night last year. They were just a bunch of kids causing trouble, all I did was shine a flashlight at them. I always assumed they made up a ghost story to scare their friends, but I'm not sure really."

The girl smirked, but it soon faded as she looked up at the stars. "Things do seem to get blown out of proportion around here, don't they?" she murmured. I didn't know quite what to say-- I'd never been much of a conversationalist-- and we were quiet for a moment, until she eventually sat down with a huff in the grass opposite me. "Mind if I sit with you a while, Greenwood Ghost?" she asked me.

I laughed once, and shrugged. "Sure, if it suits you. But, Mel will do just fine."

She nodded. "Mel it is, then. I'm Irene."

We didn't say much for a while as Irene watched me, clipping the stray bits of grass around the edges of the gravestones, row by row. I'd mention the weather, she'd mention the moon, mostly just small talk. But I let it die down after a while; I had a sense that she was just looking for some quiet company. And I was more than happy to oblige that. She stayed with me for most of the next hour, studying the inscriptions on some of the stones, moving up the rows with me to take a new seat if I moved too far. Eventually it was time for my break, and she accompanied me back to the shed where I traded my tools for a sandwich.

As I ate my lunch on one of the nearby benches, Irene stretched herself out in the grass, lying on her back to look up at the stars. I took a good look at her for the first time, really. She really was a beautiful young girl; her hair was bleached white, long and straight, and she had a thin, angled face and dark lips. She reminded me of a porcelain doll in the moonlight... but a sad one. Despite her careless demeanor, she just seemed so blue behind it all.

When my break ended, I told her she could join me again if she wanted to, but she shook her head. "I think I might just lie here and watch the stars for a while," she said. "It's a pleasure to have finally met the Greenwood Ghost, though." She offered me a slight smile and a wink, and turned her gaze back to the twinkling night sky.

-----

Life continued on this way for a few months. Every few days, Irene would come looking for me in the cemetery, and spend a couple hours nearby. I always let her steer the conversations; some nights she had lots she wanted to talk about, and some nights she had little to offer other than a simple 'hi.' We grew to become friends, and got to know each other better. There wasn't much else to know about me, and I didn't remember much of my childhood, but I always answered her questions anyway. I learned that Irene lived in a small house nearby with her parents; she told me she worked at a clothing store as a cashier but didn't like it much. I didn't usually ask about things too much, usually preferring to let her offer information as she was comfortable. I think she appreciated that, and she offered me the same courtesy. And to be honest, I didn't really know how much I did enjoy her company, until she stopped coming.

Fall was coming to a close-- and though it didn't snow where we lived, it was getting chillier at night. I assumed maybe she disliked the cold, and that may have been keeping her away. But when a few weeks had gone by and I still hadn't seen her, I began to grow worried. I found myself picturing her in my mind as I worked-- the way her eyes lit up a little when she smiled, the way she tucked her hair behind her ear when she was thinking, the longing look she would give the sky when the stars were out. I had never minded the solitude of my job before I met Irene, but now that I'd been spoiled by her late night visits, I was starting to grow lonely.

And just as suddenly as she'd gone... one day, nearly a month later, Irene was back.

I was just preparing to take my lunch break when I looked up and saw her bright white hair, shimmering in the moonlight, flowing down the back of the same bench she'd been seated on when I first saw her. I dropped my tools, and rushed over to her, calling out her name as I did. I pulled her into a hug, and she stiffened in surprise before gingerly wrapping an arm around me as well. I let her go, thinking I'd overstepped a boundary.

"Sorry, sorry, I... I've just really missed you," I admitted.

She shrugged, in classic Irene fashion. "It's okay," she said quietly. "It's just been... a long time since anyone's hugged me. I didn't think you'd be so glad to see me, really."

"Of course I'm glad to see you," I said with a shy smile. "I was worried, embarrassingly enough. You're... probably the best friend I've ever had."

Irene looked up at me, with disbelief in her eyes. "I am?" She studied my face for a while, and then dropped her gaze to her lap. "No, that wasn't the truth. I can tell."

I blinked in surprise, furrowing my brow, and took her hand in my hand. "Of course it's true. I... can't think of anyone I care about more than you."

She stared at her hand in mine for a moment, then swept her gaze up my arm to meet my eyes again. I blushed fiercely under her scrutiny, but realized she still didn't seem convinced. Why didn't she believe me? Why would I lie to her?

"What do I have to say to convince you?" I stammered. "That I... I think you're... that I might even... love you?"

Irene pulled me into a fierce hug, much to my own shock. I hugged her back, my face burning, and my heart racing. I'd never told anyone I loved them before. I felt her tears fall onto my shoulder, and her arms trembled slightly. "Thank you," she whispered shakily.

And then my arms were grasping empty air. I fell forward, confused, and whipped my head around in confusion. "What?! I... Irene? What happened?" But Irene was gone, just like that. Not 'gone,' like she'd ran off, but just... completely gone, like she'd... faded out of existence. I felt tears sting my own eyes now as I struggled to understand.

"Did you really not know this whole time?" came a familiar elderly voice from behind me. I whipped my head around, and this time I fell backward, staring in slack-jawed shock at the woman standing before me.

"Mrs. Markham?" I breathed, shaking my head in disbelief. "But I... I... your funeral was... I was there, I saw them--"

"Quit your blabbering, girl," she cut me off. "That's right. I'm dead. You're not going crazy."

"B-but then, that'd mean you're a-"

"A ghost, yep, that's right girl. Sheesh, you'll develop a stutter if you keep that all up! Get a grip. I've been watching the two of you floundering around the cemetery all summer, I would've chimed in sooner if I knew you were so clueless."

"Irene..." I murmured breathily. "She's... not real?"

Mrs. Markham rolled her eyes and plopped herself down on the bench. "Oh boy. Course she was real, just as real as I am! You're a medium, girl. You can see us. And apparently even touch us." Uncharacteristic to her very forward nature, Mrs. Markham reached out a tentative hand and rested it lightly on my shoulder. "Remarkable. We can touch you even." She straightened up, and took a breath. "Listen, girl. I've been watching the two of you youngsters, and I saw what you just did. You helped that girl cross over. Whatever it was you said to her, it's exactly what she's been waiting around for all these years." The old woman placed a gentle hand under my chin, and lifted my head so I would look her in the eye. Much to my surprise, I watched as a tear ran down her own cheek. "I want you to help me find peace, too."

I always knew I was different.
But now I know that I'm special.
Now I know what to do with it.
-----

future plans:
    It will take Mel quite a bit of time to come to terms with what she is, to remember her traumatic past that she's buried so deep inside her mind. But somehow, she has found herself the perfect profession, working in a cemetery full of lost spirits who need her help. It will be hard for her at first, but over time, she will learn to recognize the subtle differences between the spirits she sees so clearly, and the living people around her. Some spirits will need more than just someone to talk to-- some will need messages delivered. And she will learn to do so, and develop a great talent for mimicking the handwriting of the deceased perfectly. She will write out the things that some spirits never had a chance to say, and mail the letters to their loved ones.

It will be especially difficult for any living souls to believe that her ability is real, but one day, she will meet someone who understands mortality all too well. Someone who will have no reason not to believe everything Mel says to her. Someone whose own life will be much shorter than most. Someone who could use her help not only now, but also once she does pass on.
    Someone named Samantha.
Image Image Image

about medA account
my kalons

vee.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me