Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Aphotic the Seawing by Snaketeeth

Artist Snaketeeth [gallery]
Time spent 3 hours, 25 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
8 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Aphotic the Seawing

Postby Snaketeeth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:31 am

my seawing OC
Aphotic means the part of the ocean that light cant reach
which is kind of ironic considering the color palette

short description of personality: odd but friendly and intelligent with a strong sense of justice
she pursues a broad set of interests, like making soap, glass blowing, woodcarving, drawing and writing. She also harbors a love for exploring new places and collecting things - she has a box full of little things like bottle caps and buttons and necklace pendants and whatnot that she's amassed over the years, and each one has some kind of vague link to her childhood (she occasionally opens the box and takes everything out to look at them, and she just sits there staring at them for a while - she does this even though she gets sad when she has to put them back away, because she feels it's symbolic of having to give up her childhood)

long description of personality:
She's really weird in the sense that she thinks and feels in waves of color (kind of like Whiteout), but not because she has a disorder; it's because she's super perceptive and observant. If you could make a picture of inside her head when she's calm, it would look something like a swirl of silver and beige in the form of a low ocean tide, and if she was upset it would look like a hill with trees on it but one of the trees are uprooted so the ground is torn in one spot and the sky is grey.
She has a powerful sense of smell and can 'smell' the stars. She describes it as a smell so cold that it feels warm, like when it's cold outside and your hands start to get cold but eventually they turn numb and start to warm up. She says the moon smells like vanilla and cinnamon and the sun smells like sleepiness and bell chimes. She writes about these things and everyone that reads them thinks of them as beautifully worded fantasy-esque writings that are made up to sound loopy, and don't think that she really 'smells' stars or anything. Only Diyan fully understands her writings and Hudson can kind of half-grasp them. She's loved by the locals since she's friendly and intelligent but they all still think she's a little crazy
She's scared of the passage of time and occasionally 'memories' that aren't hers come back to her - things like being places she's never been, or seeing things she's never seen, or talking to people she's never met. She figures that the 'memories' are manifestations of her suppressed stress and that they aren't from a past life or anything, even though they're incredibly vivid and she draws a lot of advice from her past 'experiences'
She's fiercely loyal to her beloved and gets really angry whenever she even thinks about someone cheating on their significant other because that's sick and it goes against sacredness that is love

She lives in Possibility and works as a merchant selling her own works, consisting of things like blown glass figures, wood carvings, and other trinkets of the sort
She's fullblood Seawing but her best friend Hudson the Icewing is an animus (he fled the ice kingdom because he didn't like the ranking system and all, so he came to Possibility instead) and he offered her one enchantment, so she asked to be able to breathe fire. She can now but her fire is the same color as her glow scales

She falls in love with one of her closest friends, a Sandwing named Diyan
Diyan is a doof with really bubbly humor and he's pretty clumsy, but he's also really intelligent and he doesn't understand Aphotic's fears and nervousness but he respects them - which is different from understanding them because he can't reciprocate or relate to her terrors, but he acknowledges that they trouble her nonetheless and he offers support when they start to bother her
He's also one of the only dragons who can take her sudden mood changes and spontaneous bursts of energy -> extreme exhaustion in stride, and he also understands her weird way of wording things and how she describes her thoughts and feelings

ediT: naiad has been replaced since i didnt actually have that much of a personality for her so i remade her into a n e w dragon
edit 2: this design has actually been entirely reworked into this one and has been changed to sea/night
Last edited by Snaketeeth on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
ImageImage
♀️ | INFP | Chaotic Neutral | Capricorn
kinda shy and abrasive. LOVE red dead;
enjoy wings of fire, homestuck, and
pokemon. avid reptile fanatic.
(favorite songs in the shrooms).
also on flight rising and deviantart.
Derse Dreamer | Knight of Heart

template from x
╚═════════════════════════╝

Snaketeeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Naiad the Seawing

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 am

This looks really cool! I love her colours glowing marks^^

Postby Snaketeeth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm

uwa! thanks v much!!

ImageImage

template from x

Snaketeeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sweet tea » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

i love Naiad! she is beautifully portrayed in this portrait! you did a wonderful job. c: keep drawing more of her!

aaaaa

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

sweet tea , hway
she/her , biology student

tea connoisseur
dog-obsessed
gym nut
sweet tea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snaketeeth » Wed May 03, 2017 9:57 am

aye!!! thank so much, that means a lot to me!

ImageImage

template from x

Snaketeeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Aphotic the Seawing

Postby Snaketeeth » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 am

smh just redesigned literally everything about this character its not even got a shred of naiad anymore i just didnt want to redraw the whole thing and i forgot to click 'color me in' instead of 'edit picture' so it overrode the first version

Last bumped by Snaketeeth on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 am.

ImageImage