Canary by Razors

Based on Click to view
Artist Razors [gallery]
Time spent 1 minute, 52 seconds
Drawing sessions 1
4 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Canary

Postby Razors » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 pm

A little boy stood before an old, run down, Carousel. Fallen leaves brush across the tops of his feet, carried along by the cold Autumn breeze. He had been staring at the carousel, though from the look in his eyes he was thousands of miles away, and not in the happiest place in the world. The carousel was not the only thing that was run down, here. The entire area seemed to be littered with old carnival attractions. From rusted games, to empty stands, to bins of trash. Leaves covered a great deal of the equipment and vines had long since begun to creep up the side of the 'show your strength' game. This was not a place a child should be, let alone on their own.

"I wish..." The soft, broken, voice of the child came, his gaze slowly turning from the carousel to his surroundings. "I wish..." The boy close his eyes, his voice quivering with the two simple words. "I wish I didn't have to be alone..." His sentence was muffled halfway through as he press his hands to his face and fell to his knees. " I don't want to be alone anymore..." He sobbed into his hands. A sudden flicker of light could be seen from the remaining bulbs on the strength meter. The bulbs lighting up one by one before the main bulb at the top flicker a moment before staying lit. Like the idea that had suddenly burst in the boys mind, the light illuminate the once dark area around the game.

Night had fallen, but this night would be different. The boy could not bear another night alone in this place. He could not suffer through the darkness another moment. Picking himself up the child brush off his knees and climb up onto the carousel. Looking over each animal carefully he circle once, twice, then a third time. There were unicorns, dragons, carts, griffon....and a viscet. A beautiful creature which he had never had the chance of seeing before in real life. But this one was special. It was colorful, or it had been at one point, before the weather and many years of abandonment took its toll. The viscet had a horn, matching the 'fantasy' theme the carousel had.

The child gently trace his fingers along the chipped and tarnished chest fur of the viscet, flecks of paint chipping and brushing off as he touch the metal figure. This was no good, he would have to fix it before he did anything else. Moving to the front of the metal viscet he rub his hands together, blew on them, and concentrate. It had been a very long time before he had used his magic. It was far more difficult now than it had been before, too. With a great deal of focus, the boy closed his eyes and move his hands up to press against the scruffy chest of the metal viscet. With a pulse of magical energy, beginning at his hands, the dull and chipped figure erupt with color. What once was grey and rusted soon became white and clean. The mane erupt with colors that the child had not even known were there. All the way up through the viscets ears, to it's tail, down to it's toes, the color was restored, not a single blemish left on the statue.

"Wow..." Spoke the child in awe, his eyes now open and gazing upon his restored viscet. Excitement began to fill the boy, and even though he was suddenly light headed, he knew he had to continue. His breathing was quicker now and his heart raced, a newfound hope filling the boy. "Time to wake up..." He said, rubbing his hands together once more before reaching up and placing them against the metal viscet. Every remaining ounce of magic and energy the boy had was forced forward, through his body, through his arms, and out through his hands, right into the cold metal statue of the viscet. "Please...I don't want to be alone anymore..." The boy spoke, almost begging the creature to come to life. " Please..." No motion, still metal, "Pl....ease..." Tears began to rise in the boys eyes and he continue the flood of magical energy. His hope was beginning to fade as the thought that he simply was not strong enough, his magic was not enough to bring this creature to life. "P..." His magic was spent and his vision began to fade, his body slipping down the cold metal form of the viscet before completely dropping to the floor of the carousel.

---------

The child woke, his eyes catching the first light of dawn as the suns rays poke through the bare tree branches. He did not move, the failure of the previous night like knives in his heart. He was still alone, he was still....
The child sob, curling his form up and pressing his knees into his face. He would always be alone, why did he even try? There was no hope of ever...

The child pause mid thought, his body stiffening to the sound of motion. Ever so slowly he drew his knees and hands away from his eyes, peeking out at his surroundings. His body had not moved, he was still on the cold metal of the carousel, however....
Where was the viscet?!
The boy scramble up, looking to the spot the viscet had been welded, then around him, his heart thudding heavily in his chest. Where was...
A thumping sound cause the boy to spin around, catching sight of the viscet seated on its hind legs with forearms up and back straight. The was what could only be described as a massive, goofy, grin on the viscets maw. For the longest time the two simply stare at one another, neither one moving. The boy was afraid to break the fragile moment. How many times had he dreamed of something similar, dreamed of his loneliness coming to an end. Only to wake and find himself yet again alone...

"Are..." Before he could finish speaking the viscet burst forward, scooping the boy up in its arms and hugging him tight. "Y...You are! You are real!" The child shout, tears beginning to fill his eyes. "You're....really real! You're real!' His voice shatter, his words stopping there for the inability to form an actual sentence through his sobs. His hands reach deep onto the beautiful colored mane of the viscet and clutch there, his face tugged deeper into the fluff and tears soaking the fur. He had been alone for a very long time, his sorrows and hurt poured out of him, soaking the fur of the viscet. The boy cried until his eyes hurt, until his sobs became hiccups and soon yawns force their way between them. He sob until his eyes grew heavy and he could barely hold them open. "You're here...You're alive..." He spoke wearily.
"My little....Carousel..."
The tired words of the boy fade, nothing more aside from a name given to the newly 'born' viscet as the boy collapse into a much needed, very peaceful, sleep.

The child and Carousel spent years together, the little boy saving his magic and slowly restoring the carnival to a much more entertaining state. Games were playable, the Carousel was ride-able, food stands always seemed to be equipped with food, no matter how much they ate. The once weathered carnival became something odd in the forest where it had been abandoned. An eerie sight to see, had any ever come this way, but none ever did.

For years it was only Carousel and his boy. The child enjoying his new, beloved friend and companion with all his heart. After their fun was had the boy began to teach the viscet things. The viscet was taught language, he was taught how to read, write, do basic math, all sorts of things that the boy said were 'essential' for any sophisticated being to know. But aside from this, the boy also shared music, poetry, and his magic with the viscet. As time drew on and years continue, not once did the viscet question the fact that the boy did not age. The boy was physically about the age of a nine year old, and not a single day did this change. The viscet had known no other aside from his boy, after all. He did not know that children were intended to become adults. He did not know that the many years he spent with the child should have left the child well on into adulthood.

As the years drew on, the happy times never ended, though there did come a time when the boy seemed to be less happy than he was before...and as sad as it may have been...All new beginnings must come from an ending...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The boy sat, watching the sleeping form of Carousel as if it were to be his last. His eyes taking in the beautiful mixture of colors against the lovely white fur. Unable to resist, the boy scoot forward and gently lift the viscets large head and place it in his lap, his fingers brushing lightly through the mane on top of the viscets head. "Dearest Carousel..." The boy spoke, causing the viscets eyes to flutter open and one ear to turn towards him. "It's time for me to go..."
The boy and the viscet had always been together, since the viscet was first created by the child, so the concept of being apart did not seem to register with the viscet. Carousel simply snuggle his head into the lap of the child and close his eyes. "Please wake up, I have something I need to give you..." The boy kept his voice from breaking, but he could not hide the tears in his eyes as Carousel look to him this time.
Carousel move, sitting up slowly and dropping his ears. He knew of sorrow, but thus far there had been only happy moments here with the boy. "It's time for me to go...I've been here far longer than I should have..."
"But you made me so happy...I just...I couldn't help myself..." The boy continue, averting his gaze a moment before looking back up to Carousel. "I was stuck here because I had so much I wanted to do...So much I never got to enjoy. But the moment I made you I found my happiness." Sighing, the boy continue, his voice unsteady. "I'm ready to go...but I need you to do something for me."
The boy move to stand, brushing himself off. "Do not be sad...I've given you skills to help you along your way. Though they are not skills that are typical for one of your kind, they are skills that will keep you alive. The rest you will have to learn on your own. " The boy smile, fighting back tears as he reach up, Carousel lowering his head and pressing it into the chest of the child, who gently scratch behind Carousels ears. "There are other children like me. Children who never got to experience anything good in life. Children who are stuck, like I was, in the spot where they died. Children who need you..." The boys voice cracked, but still yet he smiled. "I can no longer be selfish...I can't....I can't...keep you here when...so many others need...you..." Finally, the boy broke, unable to hold the tears back. For the second time since his creation Carousel had his fur soaked by the tears of sorrow from his boy. Hugging the child tightly and allowing him the moment he needed to build his strength up once more, Carousel wait patiently.
"I have to go...but it's okay!" The boy smile, rubbing his tears away as he step back. "Because of you I am able to move on! I know you'll be able to find others like me. You'll be able to help them!" The boy grin, which in turn cause Carousel to grin. "Take your time, enjoy the world, you've seen so little of it!" Chuckling, the boy nod.
"I restored this place in hopes that any you find you can bring here. Bring them to this place so they can be happy. Let them have as much fun as they want..."
Rubbing his hands together, the boy sigh. "And now, my final gift. Every ounce of magic I had in life I give to you. You can do great things, Carousel...Hmm...I think you need a new name, too..."
The boy move towards Carousel, placing his hands against the viscets chest, palms flat against him. A warmth began to spread through Carousel, then, something sweet, pure, and energizing. "How about...Canary...I think that's fitting..."
With his magics given to Carousel the boy step back. "I love you...Canary..." No tears now, just pure happiness as the boy smile to his beloved Canary. "I wish you all the happiness that you brought me..."
Canary watch as the boy bow, then turn, not three steps away a golden gate form before the child, opening before him. Without so much as a moments hesitation or a glance back, the child step inside the gate, which close behind him, and vanish...Leaving Canary alone in the carnival.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Though Canary did not completely understand what had happened, he was at peace with his parting. He had made the boy happy, and somehow, he had helped him find rest. He had done for the child what none other had, and may never have done. It was with nothing but happiness that Canary sat out on his new day into his new life with his new name. He has a task before him, though as he wanders daily he finds himself in awe of the beautiful world before him. A world that he absolutely can not wait to explore and enjoy.
Razors

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me