Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

kijo design by hazama

Artist hazama [gallery]
Time spent 3 hours, 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
15 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

kijo design

Postby hazama » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

wanted to distract myself from a different piece ive been working on for a while and ive also been wanting to design some youkai, so here's this kijo (basically a female version of an oni, an ogre)
first things first i just want to quickly sort out that the red smears on her true face are paints/lipstick, as kijo are known for their hideous appearance and a lot of other japanese monsters tend to get this point across by piling on garish makeup so i thought why not

shes wearing a tsunokakushi headdress, which i dont think kijo usually wear but i thought it would be interesting since the tsunokakushi was essentially a wedding veil which was supposed to 'hide demon horns' on the wedding day, e.g. not let through ugly feelings of jealously/anger/etc. thought this would be especially fitting since along with the demon horns analogy, a kijo is usually a woman who was corrupted by hatred, envy, or committed some sort of terrible crime
i went for the black teeth since ohaguro used to be a popular custom with women somewhere around the 17th century, which is where they dyed their teeth black

she has long claw-fingers and really long flowing hair, although its supposed to be more unkempt/raggedy along with her kimono but i didnt really have the time to get that point across since im really tired oops sorry if the shading is sort of lazy. i tried to make her tsunokakushi look kind of stained and dirty though
shes also very hunched over which idk if thats common with kijo since they tend to just look like standard oni i think but i saw a few pictures that were similar and i really like the dragging look so yeah

IDK i dont really like this that much and oekakis limited-functionality layer system is so frustrating but i just wanted to draw something i guess. i know the timer is probably going to be outrageous but thats most likely because i ate dinner and somehow got stuck binge-watching cinema sins ?
hazama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: kijo design

Postby DecafBunny » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

What a beautiful design
        • Going on Haitus again... •

Art by sugartabby72600 wrote:
Owed Work wrote:
• Dealing with personal issues. Probably won't be active again.

DecafBunny

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: kijo design

Postby hazama » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 pm

thank you! @capelle its meant to be sort of creepy so im glad i got that point across ><
hazama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me