Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

how to paint eyes, a tutorial by etho

Artist etho [gallery]
Time spent 41 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

how to paint eyes, a tutorial

Postby etho » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:06 pm

I posted an eye yesterday and thought I'd make a tutorial while I'm at it, lol.
i actually did this super quick, the thing that took the most time was takings screenshots of the progress of the eye :/
im not a complete expert on doing eyes but i thought id make a tutorial of what i know so far

anyway, here's a quick gif playthrough? of the eye.

now i will explain what i did, step by step.

step 1

before i start, i recommend everyone to start painting only with the color grey. if you don't know how to paint an eye with only grey, you are not ready to use color. painting greyscale will greatly expand your knowledge of greyscale painting and how to make your paintings more three dimensional. simply put: dark greys are shadows, light greys and lights, together they make an object seem three dimensional.

i am using the PEN tool with these settings.

this is your sketch, your backbone of the painting. there's really no way out trying to perfect the shape of an eye, just look at pictures of eyes are try to draw the general shape. remember, there is a "ledge" where your bottom eyelid is, and i think a lot of people forget this in their drawings. same with the top eyelid as well.

step 2

i am using the AIRBRUSH tool with these settings. i will be using the airbrush tools with the settings to the side for the rest of this painting.

lay down your base shadows, along with the iris.
base shadows occur near the bottom eyelid, top eyelid, and "scoops up" around the eye. it "scoops up" because if you feel your eye, some flesh protrudes out, causing this shadow.

step 3

here, i darkened the iris a bit. i also darkened the shadow around the crease, and added highlights to the part of flesh that protrudes out.
i also added highlights to the ledge of the eyeball. try to make this as sharp, making it look blurry won't make it look like an "edge," and may blend in with your eyeball and you don't want that.

step 4

ImageImage

i started adding more shadows to the eyelid, along with the underside of the eyelid. i also darkened the "ring" around the iris.

step 5

finished shadows around where the eye protrudes, along with adding highlights below the bottom eyelid. i also darkened the eyelash line a bit.

step 6

draw in a pupil. should be fairly dark, about the same shade as your top eyelid. maybe a little darker. should be about a perfect circle, and not blurry.

step 7

i added a bit of highlight to the bottom of the iris.

to do these small eye details, i put the airbrush on size one. i went on a seperate layer, and starting drawing spirals around the iris. then, i set the opacity down.

step 8

now to the eye highlight, which is probably the easiest part!

i went back to the pen tool, on full opacity. draw a rectangle on a seperate layer from the rest of your painting.

use the blurred eraser, set the opacity of the blurred easer down to about 60, and erase the bottom of the rectangle so it looks a bit faded, like this.

go into the sharp eraser, set the opacity all the way up and the brush size at 1. divide the rectangle in half.

set the opacity of the layer down!

---------------------

that's about it! sorry if any of the steps aren't clear, it's really late and i kind of just did this on a whim, lol. if you need help, feel free to ask me to explain a step more clearly. hope this helps someone!! maybe. haha

hi i'm an artist
all the pets in the group titled "free" are free. you can send a request and you can
have any you want. please also respect that i'm not just a free pet machine.
don't ask for 200 pets without a message- be courteous to others

etho

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: how to paint eyes, a tutorial

Postby *JACKAL* » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Ace!

█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌

▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█

Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image
*JACKAL*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KlMLlP » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Beautiful, looks real
KlMLlP

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby etho » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:47 pm

*JACKAL* wrote:Ace!

❤Charlie❤ wrote:Beautiful, looks real

thank you!!

Last bumped by etho on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:47 pm.

hi i'm an artist
all the pets in the group titled "free" are free. you can send a request and you can
have any you want. please also respect that i'm not just a free pet machine.
don't ask for 200 pets without a message- be courteous to others

etho

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me