Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

no posting. closed. by King of Crows

Based on Click to view
Artist King of Crows [gallery]
Time spent 47 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
27 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

no posting. closed.

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Home of Nocturnis familiaris

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬☾☼☽▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

☀ Home ☀ RulesAboutEventsNestAffiliates

☀ News ☀

November, 2016
    Currently closed. Please do not post/bump/etc.

August 24th, 2016
    For the most part the thread is now set up. I am still fleshing out the About and Event sections, and I still have to fix up some things with the base, plus make a Nest thread (babies!!), and then we will be ready to rock and roll!

August 23rd, 2016
    Sorry about the lack of organization right now!

See the other thread for more info :)

☀ Welcome to Dawnbreak ☀

You are wandering down an unfamiliar road...
    You must have made a wrong turn somewhere, and you are not entirely sure if you are even awake...but somehow or another you have found yourself on a road built from river-smoothed stones. The sun is not quite risen, and mixed with the quiet song of wind is the chirping of birds calling the earth to wake up for a new day. The road only continues in one direction, and it is pleasant enough out, so you keep walking. As you come to the crest of a hill the peace is interrupted by the distressed calls of black birds as they explode out of neighboring trees. You follow their movements with your eyes and startle as a blur of creamy white flies overhead, parting the air with powerful, feathered wings. Your legs rush and stumble to carry you in the direction that the strange bird flies. Once you reach the top of the hill it levels out and directs you toward what seems to be an orchard. An ancient-looking wooden gate is opened to welcome you to the strange place. The rising sun's light glints off of the golden feathers of the creature flying deeper into the orchard, and illuminates the sign above the gate. Your eyes trace the outline of the carved letters.
Dawnbreak

All © King of Crows
Last edited by King of Crows on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Rules

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Home ☀ Rules ☀ AboutEventsNestAffiliates

☀ Rules ☀

Please read through our Rules before continuing.

₀₁. Respect ownership.
    As with any original works, we ask that you respect the owner of works and do not reproduce or claim these works as your own. This includes art/submissions by other people and all official Dawnbreak pieces. If you wish to draw Nocturnis but do not own one then just gift other users who do, fanart is always welcome!
₀₂. Respect people.
    Be a decent person. Do not harass, bully, flame, troll, make-fun-of, or otherwise seek to harm other users. Do not mock people's forms, questions, ideas, suggestions, Nocturnis names, pronouns, etc. Respect the authority of staff users and do not argue with decisions.
₀₃. Keep to the limit.
    As of right now you may only own up to 10 Nocturnis. This includes breedings. You may continue to breed Nocturnis even after you have 10, but all of their offspring will be put up for adoption.
₀₄. Retain species characteristics.
    Nocturnis as birds. They act like birds. They are highly intelligent (akin to a corvid), and are capable of minor speech (which they may or may not fully understand), but they are only of the cognitive ability of a crow, not of a human. They can be of any sexuality and use any pronouns you like. Their sex only determines breeding possibilities (and same-sex pairs can apply to adopt!). Nocturnis do not have hair, so if you do draw an anthromorphic version then please do not give them hair. The closest thing to hair is downy feathers like what silky chickens have.
₀₅. Do not ask for...
    Before you ask if you can have a custom or be a staff member, please check the News on the first post to see if King of Crows is currently looking for staff. If there is not notice, then he is not looking. Customs are only given out as prizes for special contests or to staff (one each), so do not ask for them otherwise.
₀₆. No fudging stats.
    We keep a closely monitored record of all points earned for Nocturnis stats, so do not try to lie and claim you have more stats than you have earned for your Noctis.
₀₇. Exchanging/trading/selling.
    You may not, for any reason, sell a Nocturnis for any form of currency or other characters. You may trade Nocturnis for other Nocturnis with permission from King of Crows. If you no longer want your Nocturnis then contact the original artist and ask them to allow you to put it back up for adoption.
₀₈. Ask if you have questions.
    Asking questions helps us flesh out the Q&A section, so if you have them, then post! You will never be mocked/chastised for asking a question (unless it violates our rules...such as asking to be staff or for customs).
Rules are subject to change. Please ask if you need clarification.
Last edited by King of Crows on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

About

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:10 pm

HomeRules ☀ About ☀ EventsNestAffiliates

☀ Questions and Answers ☀

As questions are asked they will be answered here.

☀ About the Species ☀

Read this section to learn all about Nocturnis, including important information about Stats and Training!

General Information
    Nocturnis familiaris, more commonly known as the Fancy Nocturnis, Nocturnis, or simply Noc, is a large species of Bird of Prey, rivaling the extinct Argentavis magnificens in terms of size. They have prehistoric tails that are long extensions of the spine. Perhaps the most unusual characteristic of Nocturnis are their external ears and antlers. The hollow antlers come in two forms, dependent upon their Element. The only function found for the antlers is the channeling of excess energy used to produce magical abilities (manipulating fire or storm elements). Fancy Nocturnis as fully domesticated, social creatures that thrive in the company of humans and others of their kind.

Nocturnis can carry an additional 40 to 50 pounds of weight, and so despite their massive size are not suitable for riding. They can, however, make excellent hunting partners and messengers. Here you can see a comparison of an Argentavis to a human, which is comparable to a Nocturnis to a human.

As with many birds of prey, females are larger than males on average. Despite looking like owls in face, Nocturnis have a toe layout more similar to hawks, eagles, and falcons.

Stats
    All Nocturnis are evaluated on the basis of 5 stats; Intelligence, Speed, Strength, Endurance, and Potency. Upon adoption, they are assigned a base of 10 points for each stat (50 accumulated).
    Intelligence is a measure of a Noc's problem solving capabilities. Speed is a measure of both how quickly and quietly a Noc can fly (we do not measure walking ability since they're all pretty terrible at walking). Strength is a measure of how much force of air a Noc's down-strokes can produce, as well as how much additional weight they can carry. Endurance measures how long a Noc can fly, at average speeds with no additional weight, without needing to stop and rest/replenish. Potency is a measure of a Noc's magical prowess (level of manipulation of their element). The high a Nocturnis's total stats, the better they do in events. In some special events certain stats will have a multiplier, making it more important.

Nocturnis are also all born being more proficient in certain stats. This means that when this stat is trained it gains more than the other stats do. Proficiency can be passed down to offspring, which means that an extremely well bred Generation 3 or 4 Noc may be proficient in all five stats!

Points and Training
    As mentioned, points per stat can be increased through training. Training is done through either visual or literary work. This means that whenever you write about or draw your Nocturnis (or have art made of them), they gain more stats! Each training session must be submitted via the Nocturnis's Registry page (a sub-page from their adopted page where event participation and training is recorded). Each session can increase one stat, and you can choose which stat they increase. Below is an explanation of what sessions increase stats:
Points Awarded
+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
Written
3-5 coherent sentences
5-10 coherent sentences
10-15 coherent sentences
15-20 coherent sentences
20+ coherent sentences
Drawn
Unfinished Sketch
Lineart
Flat-color
Shaded Piece
Full Piece (shaded with BG)

When submitting a Session, you must use a specific form, and you must link to the submission, so it is recommended that you create a diary of some sort to record written works in. All sessions must be submitted to your Noc's Registry page. The title of this page will be "#. [NOC NAME] | Registry". Only sessions will be posted here as replies. For "Submission Type" use the official terms listed above (ex: "Lineart" or "5-10 Sentences"). You must post this as a new reply every time you submit a new session, one reply per session.
    Below is the form you must use to submit a session:
Code: Select all
[b]Nocturnis Name:[/b]
[b]Submission Creator:[/b]
[b]Submission Type:[/b]
[b]Submission Link:[/b]
[b]Stat To Increase:[/b]

Elemental Magic
    All Nocs are capable of performing some level of elemental manipulation. There are two elements: Fire and Storm. A low-level Noc (10-25 potency) is only capable of producing heat/static around them. A high level Noc (80+ potency) is capable of erupting volcanoes/summoning tsunamis (though doing so comes at a high cost). The type of horn a Noc has is indicative of their element, as illustrated below. Elements do not seem to be hereditary, but rather random.
    Elk Antlers
    Fire
    Whitetail Deer Antlers
    Storm

Behavior
    The behavior of a Nocturnis is most similar to that of a corvid. They are highly intelligent creatures, capable of complex problem solving, and are extremely playful and inquisitive. Nocturnis form close social bonds, and seem to give each other and their favorite people names in the form of distinct noises. They consistently try to communicate with their humans, but since they are so social do not thrive when kept without others of their kind. Much like captive parrots and corvids, Nocturnis will attempt to mimic human words and sounds and can learn or be taught to associate words with meanings (i.e.; "hungry!" meaning "I want food.") For the most part, though, they communicate with a series of different low hoots and screeches.

Nocturnis are most well known for their beautiful song that they sing with each morning, just as the sun rises. It is often described as sounding like a mixture of a wolf's howl and a peacock's cry, often followed by a series of short "whoop" sounds before continuing. Typically gathering in flocks to sing, the sound of a large flock in the morning is said to be something bordering between beautiful and chaotic. Shortly after concluding the song they will break up into their hunting groups and start seeking out prey.

Nocturnis are one of only a very small handful of bird of prey that are known to be cooperative hunters. They have a high energy intake and, when coupled with large size, require a great deal of food to maintain health. They have adapted to work in groups in order to bring down large prey such as fully grown deer, bison, and even domestic cattle. More commonly, however, they prey on the abundant goats native to their mountainous motherland. They're also commonly seen playing together, riding on wind and playfully swooping and diving, and even chasing each other on the ground, which is quite a hilarious sight to behold since they can only walk in a rather clumsy waddling fashion.
Last edited by King of Crows on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Events

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:11 pm

HomeRulesAbout ☀ Events ☀ NestAffiliates

☀ Events ☀

Below are details on any current events!
Please read the About sections for Stats and earning Points before considering entering Nocturnis events.

No current event.

☀ Event Information ☀

Events are a fun way for users to interact with their Nocturnis and engage in the community. They are by no means mandatory, are totally optional, and simply happen for the sake of those who wish to partake in them. Prizes are awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners often in the form of items or artwork of your Nocturnis, and of course in bragging rights.
How do I enter an Event?
    Entering events is generally quite easy. Most events run for a week and all you need to do is fill out the form associated with that particular event. The form usually asks for a link to the Noc's thread, the name, number, and your username. You simply post the form!
Last edited by King of Crows on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Affiliates

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:11 pm

HomeRulesAboutEventsNest ☀ Affiliates ☀

☀ Advertising ☀

Use the below stamps to advertise Dawnbreak!
Feel free to request specific color schemes for stamps to better suit your signature.

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3165412][img]http://orig11.deviantart.net/dffe/f/2016/234/5/4/stamp_2_by_perocore-daev6fw.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3165412][img]http://orig07.deviantart.net/a4df/f/2016/234/4/8/stamp_3_by_perocore-daev6fr.png[/img][/url]

☀ Affiliates ☀

Below are other adoptables that you should take a look at.
Please PM King of Crows if you wish to affiliate with Nocturnis.
Last edited by King of Crows on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Disclaimer

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 pm

☀ Home ☀ Rules ☀ About ☀ Events ☀ Registry ☀ Nest ☀ Affiliates ☀

Disclaimer

Species Design Similarities
If you are familiar with the beautiful DeviantArt based species Draco Stryx, then you may feel that Nocturnis are extremely similar to them. This was not intended in the initial design. Once the similarities were made apparent, King of Crows contacted the owner of the Draco Stryx species and discussed with them if they would feel comfortable with the continued existence of Nocturnis. It was concluded that the species are distinct enough that there is no issue. - Screenshot

It is very good to be concerned about protecting artists, but please be aware that concerns with Nocturnis have been peacefully settled.

King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Extra

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Reserved space.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Extra

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Reserved space.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Extra

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Reserved space.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: ☀ Dragons of Dawnbreak ☀

Postby King of Crows » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:18 pm

You are now safe to post to mark/ask questions/etc!
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me