Monoceros: The Unicorn Constellation

"Monoceros: The Unicorn Constellation" by Galaxy Wolves

Monoceros: The Unicorn Constellation

Postby Galaxy Wolves » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:35 am

Monoceros (Greek: Μονόκερως) is a faint constellation on the celestial equator. Its name is Greek for unicorn. Its definition is attributed to the 17th-century Dutch cartographer Petrus Plancius. It is bordered by Orion to the west, Gemini to the north, Canis Major to the south and Hydra to the east. Other bordering constellations include Canis Minor, Lepus and Puppis.

In Western astronomy, Monoceros is a relatively modern constellation. Its first certain appearance was on a globe created by the Dutch cartographer Petrus Plancius in 1612 or 1613 and it was later charted by German astronomer Jakob Bartsch as Unicornu on his star chart of 1624.

German astronomers Heinrich Wilhelm Olbers and Ludwig Ideler indicate (according to Richard Hinkley Allen's allegations) that the constellation may be older, quoting an astrological work from 1564 that mentioned "the second horse between the Twins and the Crab has many stars, but not very bright"; these references may ultimately be due to the 13th century Scotsman Michael Scot, but refer to a horse and not a unicorn, and its position does not quite match. Joseph Scaliger is reported to have found Monoceros on an ancient Persian sphere. French astronomer Camille Flammarion believed that a former constellation, Neper (the "Auger"), occupied the area of the sky now home to Monoceros and Microscopium, but this is disputed.

Info from: Wikipedia
Galaxy Wolves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Monoceros: The Unicorn Constellation

Postby Gifting Dogs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:30 am

I hope people like this cause I love it

The info is perfect since there aren't a lot of people who know about this one
I am back but idk how long I'll stay
Gifting Dogs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pizza Lover #1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:39 am

Wow! When I compare your entry with my entry, I' m like this is crazy beautiful. :o :clap:
Pizza Lover #1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Galaxy Wolves » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am

Mythical Creature wrote:Wow! When I compare your entry with my entry, I' m like this is crazy beautiful. :o :clap:

Thank you :)
Prisma
Nova

I'm the Owner and Founder of Galaxy Adoption Center! Come check us out!
Galaxy Wolves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me