A Strange New Beast

"A Strange New Beast" by Aurore

A Strange New Beast

Postby Aurore » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:22 am

We've identified another new species in our extraterrestrial expeditions. It possesses a large, flat, strongly-marked face (perhaps for frightening potential predators or attracting mates), with pincer-like mouthparts that seem to prefer meat. The body is covered in a vibrant feather-like pelage, with what appears to be some sort of hump protruding from the back. Does this planet have difficult seasons that require significant nutrient storage? The hump is protected by spines, perhaps as a safeguard against ambush attacks. The two strong-looking legs are covered in a hard exoskeleton like the face. The short, blunt tail may assist with balance. There are three pairs of antennae-like appendages, on top of the head, by the mouth, and on the belly. Their purpose is likely sensory, but what specifically they sense is still unknown. There is some bioluminescence, its purpose is also unknown but it must aid success in the dark forest habitat.

We've set out a trap of meat laden with a sleep-inducing drug in an attempt to capture the animal. If successful, we will be able to study the biology in greater detail and perhaps observe its behavior in captivity or run tests on its physical and cognitive abilities.
Aurore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me