Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree

"Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree" by Rabbitheart

Dressup entry

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree

Postby Rabbitheart » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:06 am

This dress up is based on an old song that I love and think is a very sweet song. I don't know why, but it makes me think of spring, hence the spring setting for the dress up.
The song is older than I am, being from 1973, but it was around when my parents were children. The only version I've ever heard was the one by Tony Orlando & Dawn.
The song is told from the point of view of someone who has "done his time" but is uncertain if he will be welcomed home. (One of the song writers says that "The Genesis of this idea came from the age old folk tale about a Union prisoner of war--who sent a letter to his girl that he was coming home from a confederate POW camp in Georgia....")

He writes to his love, asking her to tie a yellow ribbon around the "ole oak tree" in front of the house (which the bus will pass by) if she wants him to return to her life; if he does not see such a ribbon, he will remain on the bus (taking that to mean he is unwelcome) and understand her reasons ("put the blame on me"). He asks the bus driver to check, fearful of not seeing anything.

To his amazement, the entire bus cheers the response – there are 100 yellow ribbons around the tree, a sign he is very much welcome.

Sadly, I don't own 100 yellow ribbons, so I had to make do with what few yellow ribbons and bows that I had and then move on to gold and orange. X3
Rabbitheart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me