Irwin On Reflection

"Irwin On Reflection" by Kabloosh

Dressup entry

Irwin On Reflection

Postby Kabloosh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:47 am

Source song: Irwin on Reflection

It might be cheating a bit to pick a character's fight song and then dress up the pet as the character himself, but I think the song fits him so well (and fits the grating/internal-conflict feel of his battle so well) that it kind of works...

So here's a pet based on the fight song of Irwin from Legend of Mana, a character who's very conflicted. Part of him is a biological, nearly-unstoppable urge to destroy everything he can, but part of him is empathy and understanding. Most of his empathy is directed towards a very kind girl stuck in a not-so-pleasant situation, who is currently dying. Nobody can help her and the humans are being jerks about it.

So Irwin sits on top of a dead resurrected dragon, boiling with fury, waiting for the heroes to come fight him. He starts planning his rampage, imagines the world burning far below... but at the same time wonders what peace would be like if he called the whole thing off.

The song does a pretty good job of making you feel that anger, too. The fast-paced, harsh-sounding brass and guitar demand that you kill this guy to protect the world, while an occasional low, sad flute in the background reminds you that maybe there isn't going to be a happy ending to this after all...

Someone in my family used to be a big fan of Irwin (and his theme song... and also pretty much the whole soundtrack, which is BEST SOUNDTRACK), but I wasn't very fond of this character until recently, when I finally read a bit more about his backstory. It's not too clear in the game itself (and even less so when you're ten years old), but there's a LOM wiki that does a good job of explaining just how torn this guy is and why.

Anyway, Yoko Shimomura is an amazing composer, and I highly recommend her work to anyone who likes video game soundtracks.

Edit: I meant Yoko Shimomura, not Yuki Kajiura. I'm so sorry; they're both epic soundtrack composers and I somehow still get them mixed up sometimes.
Kabloosh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me