Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Falconer's Dragons ;; Under Construction by King of Crows

Based on Click to view
Artist King of Crows [gallery]
Time spent 44 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
22 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Falconer's Dragons ;; Under Construction

Postby King of Crows » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Home : Staff : Affiliates : Misc : Info

Falconer's Dragons, called FDs for short, are very small little dragons that have been domesticated for hundreds of years for use in the sport of "falconry." They have been trained as scroll-carriers, hunters, security, racers, and often as companions. They are very intelligent, and known to mimic many sounds and words like parrots. They live as many as 80 years. Due to their loving, playful nature, small size, and relatively easy care they make popular companions.

Before you continue please read through our rules!

• Do not steal species concept/designs
  • Do not claim a FD that doesn't
    belong to you
  • You may own up to 15 FDs
  • No begging for staff positions
    /customs/etc
  • Follow the rules artists set
    for individual FDs!
  • Never try to bribe an artist
    to let you win a competition unfairly!
  • Ask Crow if you have questions
    about anything!
  • Rules are subject to change!
Last edited by King of Crows on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:53 am, edited 13 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Staff Members

Postby King of Crows » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:05 pm

King of Crows - Founder & Admin
    10/26/2015

Last edited by King of Crows on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Advertising and Affiliates

You can help other people find us by placing a graphic or link in your signature!

Plain Link
    Falconer's Dragons
    Code: Select all
    [url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2845717]Falconer's Dragons[/url]

Fᴀʟᴄᴏɴᴇʀ's Dʀᴀɢᴏɴs
    Code: Select all
    [url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2845717]Fᴀʟᴄᴏɴᴇʀ's Dʀᴀɢᴏɴs[/url]

These are our affiliates! PM Perocore if you wish to affiliate.

These are not affiliates but are other adoption centers that I just happen to be very fond of.
Last edited by King of Crows on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Things

Whenever special events are held the information will be listed here!
Last edited by King of Crows on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

More

History
    XXXFalconer's Dragons are a domesticated form of Finch-Drakes, which originate from Scandinavia. Around two-thousand years ago they were first being caught in the wild and trained to assist in hunting. It was learned that they work well with directions and are able to withhold from eating whatever they catch. They were popular choices for hunting rabbits and even flushing larger game. Popularity continued to increase.
    XXXEventually, a pigeon fancier developed interest in the dragons after losing one of their prized racing pigeons to a falcon. They selected a gentle-natured hatchling from a breeder and brought the dragon up around their pigeons. Once it became clear that the dragon did not have a prey-drive for pigeons, the pigeon fancier started letting the dragon fly with their pigeons during practice runs. The dragon was able to deter aerial predators with her minor flame-breathing abilities, and readily protected the pigeons. The fancier was delighted and spread the word that the dragons were versatile. Many pigeon keepers started keeping a dragon or two along with their flock and, of course, even started racing the dragons, and experimenting with breeding. From the pigeon fanciers came many new strains of Falconer's Dragons, producing many different colors. As time went on, the breeding of FDs for aesthetic purposes garnered attention from the general public.
    Now, today, FDs come in an endless variety of colors and many are bred and trained for different purposes.

Description
    XXXFDs vary in length from 8 to 12 inches in body, with a tail usually about 1 1/2 times the length of the body. They weigh anywhere from 400 to 600 grams, with females generally being larger. Like most dragons, they have 3 sets of paired limbs and a series of specialized heart-like organs used to move enough blood to circulate through all six limbs. The wings and hind-legs are the most developed limbs, while their forelegs are small and not particularly useful. The wingspan varies from 2.3 to 2.7 feet from tip to tip. The hindlegs are very muscular, and the proportionately large feet are built to grasp and hold onto prey. They also are used, along with the thumbs on the wings, to climb and cling to trees, cliffs, etc. Flight is the preferred form of locomotion, but FDs can and do walk on their hindlegs as needed.
    XXXThe body is serpentine but not lean, as they have a wide frame to make room for their considerably large lungs and air sacs. While broad, the skeleton is light-weight, as they have hollow bones to allow for flight. Due to their wide-frame and large feet they tend to move in a very deliberate waddle while walking, and are much faster while in flight. Rather than using their very small forelimbs, if balance is lost while walking FDs are known to use the knuckle of their wing to catch themselves and maintain balance as needed.
    XXXFalconer's drakes are covered in very small, fine scales and are usually described as very silky to the touch. They also, peculiarly, have what appears to be fur growing along the cheeks, spine, at the elbows and hips, and a larger plume acts as a counter-weight on the end of the tail. Also on the tail are the caudal fins; a set of 5 cartilage spines connected by a durable but flexible skin membrane on either side of the base of the tail. These fins are used similarly to a bird tail in flight, allowing for swift directional changes and halting in mid-air. The fins are also used for balance while walking or resting. The frame of the fins is cartilage, but a knuckle-like joint at the base of each spine allows for complete control of the fins.
    XXXAll Falconer's Dragons have a set of three horns; one small nose horn, and two larger horns branching out from the brow of the skull. The function of the horns in wild Finch Drakes seems to be dealing damage to rival drakes while performing dangerous mid-air head-on collisions during territorial disputes. In Falconer's Dragons the highly territorial drive has been mostly diminished, and breeders have produced many horn varieties for the sake of appearance. The horns are strong but hollow, though having horns that are too large may inhibit a dragon's ability to fly, and dragons born with long horns are often castrated to avoid breeding.
    XXXFDs also have long, fleshy whiskers, and long, narrow ears that have a limited range of motion. Both of these appendages are much smaller in wild Finch Drakes, as they serve little purpose.
Last edited by King of Crows on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Falconer's Dragons ;; Under Construction

Postby King of Crows » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:07 pm

You're welcome to mark or whatnot. It's going to be a wait before it opens, as I plan to add MANY illustrations to the first page 8) (I just want an excuse to draw more tiny dragons honestly)!
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Falconer's Dragons ;; Under Construction

Postby Bayfire213 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:59 pm

Marking~!
Toyhouse