Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Harper Seal Barrudas(Ask to be added) by The Lost soul

Artist The Lost soul [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 54 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
37 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Harper Seal Barrudas(Ask to be added)

Postby The Lost soul » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Harper Seal Barrudas
(a.k.a Happy Sea Bunnies)
Free to use under acknowledgement of the rules.

This is my species of hermaphroditic sea bunnies... no gender, no sexuality, they all go by 'them' pronouns and they're bundles of cuteness and happiness. They can be whoever they want to be and love whoever they want to love. No terms, no regulations, no complications, just happy sea bunnies.
They're semi-aquatic like seals, but they're so terrible on-land, they almost never go on, or they might actually get stuck up there or get picked off by polar bears. They're incredibly fast in the water, quick and lithe they tend to only be able to defend themselves by running away, as they aren't equipped for fighting and their teeth don't really do much damage to manage to get them out of trouble. They tend to 'bark' like a seal and act as such, fitting the sizes of most seal species. They vary somewhat, but are never any bigger than an Elephant Seal, and the larger they are, the slower they are, no exceptions. Size is tedious and cumbersome to HSB. Large or fat HSB are seen as living in a soft, good, rich environment and they are often envied for this, but this makes them slower and less likely to be able to get away from a predator when the situation arises.

Breeding

They can breed with whatever HSB they like, or on their own. Yes, an HSB can have it's own child. Because they are both male and female, if they spend long enough alone, and wish for it, and are determined to be alone, they can often get pregnant on their own. It is extremely difficult, mind you, and can only happen once in an HSB's life, but they often result in mutations. This breeding takes twice as long, and often has to have a long period of celibacy before it can occur. This does not occur out of loneliness, but out of sheer willpower to not mate and to take one's own child. They must really wish for a child or the HSB will not bear child. Rushing this may cause disfigurements. The more time, tlc, and willpower, the better the result.

Breeding is not open yet. It may be opened later. You may make a child HSB, but you may not breed HSB on your own as of right now. Please be patient while I work out this matter.

Diet

They are omnivores, some strictly herbivores, others strictly carnivores, but they can process both and it's up to them and their environment to what they eat. Often they eat crustaceans, fish, and underwater plant-life.
They can only eat as much as a seal can eat, so if a seal can't take it on, neither can an HSB. Eating orcas will not occur. Orcas will eat your HSB instead. If you need a reference, look up seal diets and you will get a vast variety.

Coloration

HSB are furred animals, like a seal, but their fur tends to be slick and lay flat. They are mostly natural-colored with many different patterns depending on their environment, parents, how they were conceived, etc.
If you can find it on a furred animal, you can probably find it on a HSB. They come in such a vast variety because they reside in almost every body of water and thus need to be accustomed to the diversity of environments. They tend to have wave-like patterns on them where it looks like colors ripple through one another. This is something they have that no other animal has. It is rare and can only be made by a few people who understand the patterns with this. Unnatural colors are close to impossible, but some colors are used in a small amount, though most HSB are dull and follow rabbit or seal patterns. Pelts similar to cats have been known to arise, usually as tabbies or points. Solid colors are very rare, too, and are only made for special adopts. This is usually a matter of the pelt being too dark or too light to show any pattern and is rare because it requires a very specific genetic code that is extremely recessive.
Their eyes, on the other hand, come in many colors that range throughout the spectrum. Red eyes are exclusive to albinos, or those lacking a lot of pigment in their fur.
Fully black eyes tend to signal poor eyesight or issues with their pigmentation.

When making HSB:
    -Please follow the species description and rules.
    -You may only make 5 yourself. You may adopt two, adding up to the max of 7 HSB per person.
    -You may either keep it, gift it, or adopt it out. I don't like the idea of trading them around. If you have a special circumstance, please ask and talk to me. I'm not unfeeling, I can understand that there are complications in matters.
    -If I ask you to change something, it really is a big deal. I don't like telling people what to do, how to draw, or what they can or can't do, but there are limits and if I ask something, I ask you to please just... don't get upset and if you have problems, talk to me and we can maybe work something out.
    -If there are questions, feel free to pm me, or ask anonymously on my Ask.fm
    I don't mind at all and I love hearing from people! I'm not scary!

I just wanted a species for all peeps, asexuals too...
I've had the idea of a hermaphroditic species for a long time, and I just now came up with an idea I actually like.
I just wanted to include everyone in an ambiguous species they could all just do whatever with.
Not sure if I should make them an open species, and risk people throwing them around like garbage, or actually put forth the effort to make them a closed species, but make sure to get out a lot of adopts for people...
hnnnggghhh...
Does anybody even want a happy sea bunny? I do, but I am biased as all hell.

If you have anything you'd like to say, I also have an ask and you can do Anon on there, so feel free to leave a comment about these on there if you want to say something without limitations. I don't mind, and honest feedback is always nice. It might help me improve the species and as an artist, so please feel free!

Just ask to be added! Stick to the rules and everyone can color in their own HSB.
Last edited by The Lost soul on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
-adult-asocial(likely schizoid)-
DA
No art trades.
Commissions are Closed

sick.
The Lost soul

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Harper Seal Barrudas

Postby bananer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:36 am

This is adorable ;u;
╔══════════════════════════════════════════╗
Hello, I'm Bananer
Say hello

╚══════════════════════════════════════════╝
Image Image Image
╔════════════════════════╗
DA-Characters-Art Shop-FR-Toyhou
╚════════════════════════╝
bananer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woolly » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:37 am

I love the meaning you have here with this species, goodness I would love to have my own and track their progress living on their own and wanting a child, it's all incredibly unique ;w;
    Why don't you place this is collabs and gift linearts and add people who truly intend to have interest and respect them as a character?

hanging around collecting butterfly wolves
woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost soul » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:28 am

Thank you! I'm so happy that it is satisfactory. ^u^
That's quite a good idea, and I'm glad there is at least somewhat interest in them.
(for moving threads do I just label their titles as such, send in a help ticket, or is there another preferred method? I don't want to be a bother to mods)

I should put down the rest of their information concerning coloration, patterns, and other matters like that...
DA
No art trades.
Commissions are Closed

sick.
The Lost soul

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woolly » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:14 am

I say send in a help ticket with a link to this page asking to move it to gift lines board ^-^

ooo yes! i'm really curious about their markings and everything
hanging around collecting butterfly wolves
woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost soul » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Alright, so they were moved. You said you'd like one, so I'll add you. If there are any questions about fur and patterns, just ask and I'll be happy to answer any questions!
If you'd like to have an HSB, just post below that you've read the rules and the species basics and will follow the rules, and I'll happily add anyone who wishes to be added. ^u^
DA
No art trades.
Commissions are Closed

sick.
The Lost soul

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlackWren » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:16 pm

These are so lovely ahhhh~ I love them
    What you want to do with them is up to you, but making them an open species is always interesting.
[ Formerly Dave Egbert/bad ideas dave/Cherry-Prince ]

What's up fam! I'm Wren, and my life is a dumpster fire! ✌
Mostly come on now a days to check my messages. I'm not active on DA or anywhere else really anymore so don't feel bad if I don't reply for a while! I come and check messages every month or so.
DnD is my active hobby and I'm invested in Critical Role quite heavily :D
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImage

DATH
BlackWren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost soul » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:35 pm

It's somewhat open, I guess. People just need to respect the rules and there be a respect for the species and it's parameters and I'll happily add them, and remove them if they break a rule. I'm slightly unsettled by the idea of giving people free reign with them...

If you'd like one, I can add you. ^u^
DA
No art trades.
Commissions are Closed

sick.
The Lost soul

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlackWren » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:51 pm

The Lost soul wrote:It's somewhat open, I guess. People just need to respect the rules and there be a respect for the species and it's parameters and I'll happily add them, and remove them if they break a rule. I'm slightly unsettled by the idea of giving people free reign with them...

If you'd like one, I can add you. ^u^

I'd love one <3
    And I can understand the feeling, it always upsets me to see my own open species abused since enforcing rules is harder for open communities ;v;
[ Formerly Dave Egbert/bad ideas dave/Cherry-Prince ]

What's up fam! I'm Wren, and my life is a dumpster fire! ✌
Mostly come on now a days to check my messages. I'm not active on DA or anywhere else really anymore so don't feel bad if I don't reply for a while! I come and check messages every month or so.
DnD is my active hobby and I'm invested in Critical Role quite heavily :D
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImage

DATH
BlackWren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me