Forum rules
Old art from the Official weekly challenge board will be moved here automatically when the weekly challenge timer runs out.

If you didn't finish your drawing in time for the current challenge, feel free to post it in the weekly challenge board anyway, as it will eventually make its way here with the other retired challenge art :)

OWC 67: Real pets by Schneemaehne

Artist Schneemaehne [gallery]
Time spent 44 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
31 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

OWC 67: Real pets

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:07 am

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
—Dean Koontz

As I haven't seen any notes about past pets, I guess it is fine to also draw animal companions which sadly already left this world and went ahead to scout the way. Even if it's been almost three years without my dog now, she still feels like my pet.

After my family moved into an old farm house with a huge garden when I was six years old, my parents decided that we needed a dog. Both of them had grown up with them and knew well that happiness starts with a wet nose and ends with a wagging tail. So Miko entered our life, a little pitch-black bundle of fluff and sharp white teeth. Eight brothers, the only girl, a real fighter the friendly elderly couple told us. So she got her name and we all wondered just how big she was going to grow with these huge paws.
Big. Very big. In the end she stood 70cm (28 inches) high at the shoulder, weighted a good 35 kg (77 pounds) and turned from the black fluff to a mess of wiry hair, soft spots and how-on-earth-is-this-colour-called?! Black fur with white hair, brown beard, brown eyebrows, spot on the forehead, another one on the chest. We bought the unwanted offspring of a German Shepherd lady and a Bouvier des Flandres and got something that looked very much like a Giant Schnauzer cross Wolfsdog gone mad. We loved her to bits. My sister and I grew up with her, she ripped our favourite shoes to shreds and in turn we taught her how to jump through our hoola-hoops. She stole strawberries from the branches and just every fruit in our garden fell victim to her.
When my sister was lovesick again she first licked away her tears and then the left-over icecream. When I was feeling bad and fled into the vast meadows and nearby forest she happily followed me. Our friends would learn that coming over to play ment walking the dog first and that you cannot simply wash out these wiry dog hair's out of your jeans. She loved muddy puddles, dead animal's at the roadside, just everything dirty and messy. She never would bring back the sticks and balls, just try to rip them apart. But for some precious biscuits she would even do Agility and Obedience training with you.
She passed away completely unexpected and it all took us very, very long to accept the silence that would now follow to the ringing doorbell. But life went on and much has changed. She's still here with us, somehow. We all said we never again wanted a dog, but I saw my father check the homepage of the local shelter last Christmas. Just out of curiousity, he said.
My sister and I are both students now, living in small flats with next to no garden and odd working hours. But who knows, a few years from now I think I'll have dog hairs on my jeans again.
My DeviantArt
Avatar and signature sketch made by myself, no stealing or Princess Stabbity will get you.
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: OWC 67: Real pets

Postby yikes » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:39 am

wow this is very sweet

xImage i <3 the computer
xImage artist + creature owner
xImage my website

yikes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby whizzer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:08 am

A great Work of art,And A very sweet story to follow.Must Have been a great dog.
whizzer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mongrel » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:52 am

Great job! This is amazing.

Rest in peace Miko. <3
tyler · they / them · pfp
mongrel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:10 am

Thank you guys. She was an original, believe me! But I think every dog owner will say so about his four legged friend...
My DeviantArt
Avatar and signature sketch made by myself, no stealing or Princess Stabbity will get you.
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby whizzer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:24 am

If I could do digital art,I would have made my ole buddy Scooby.He died because my brother fed him a chicken bone,Without it being thoroughly cooked for dogs to eat them at.He was a character as well,Quite similar to your beloved Miko.Maybe they're Together up there,Though✰
whizzer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:24 am

I'm sorry for your loss. But yes, if there's some kind of paradise in the afterlife I'm quite sure more or less every dog who passed away is already waiting there for us to come home.
My DeviantArt
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Poisonlily » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Aww. Sounds like a wonderful dog. This picture is amazing, too.
I haven't really thought of a clever signature yet...

Poisonlily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spiritstar3 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:02 pm

What a gorgeous dog
Serenity
Good night, sweet Braveheart, we will miss you and never forget you. Fri. Apr. 8 2016
Julius went missing September 19 2022, assumed to have passed away.
My sweet angel, Storm, you were a birthday gift to me. Now, you return to heaven today- October 16 (2023)
-Canines, Cats, Horses, Tolters, SCS babs, Rukami, RWBW, Sprigons, Teacats
You are eternally screwed once Castiel turns his big blue puppy eyes on you...

Furtopia

Name: Darkness
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Thank you guys ;)
My DeviantArt
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me