Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Maned African Kimbers - a wip species by Arrows

Based on Click to view
Artist Arrows [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 17 minutes
Drawing sessions 1

Maned African Kimbers - a wip species

Postby Arrows » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 pm

information
Kimbers have a look not unlike that of a dog x lion hybrid, but they are much more. In fact, there is no known connection between the species and any kind of lion or dog to be found, except perhaps in the most ancient ancestors of one of them. Kimbers have developed their entirely unique look. Both gender is born with a mane that they keep throughout their lifetime - they are the most valuable feature of the species, and poachers were known to illegally hunt and kill Kimbers to sell their soft manes that people loved to use for blankets, coats, and various other things, which contributed to their believed extinction. Male Kimbers will often have small ivory horns, and females have slightly longer tails. Both of these factors contribute to the Kimber's likeliness of attracting a mate. They will have litters of one to two. At an average minimum, Kimbers are no shorter than 25 inches and no taller than 39. They are between 125 and 200 pounds typically. There have been records of Kimbers that are drastically smaller or larger, but these are very rare of their kind. They can be any color and have any markings, but earthly/natural colors are the most common to see. This species has large ears and a sensitive nose that optimizes their hearing and sense of smell. Their eyesight is not superb, but they see well enough and their hearing and smell greatly make up for it. They typically travel in packs called kierets. Maned African Kimbers are omnivorous, but they lean most heavily towards a carnivore. Due to them traveling in packs, they will take on almost anything they could consider prey. They will also consume leaves and berries to supplement their diet, along with various other foods.

Kimbers do have unusual mutations that are rare and extremely unlikely to occur. These known mutations include no tail, a female with horns, ram-like horns, and a Kimber with a mane that extends past its shoulders.

rarities
common - Kimbers with earthly or natural colors and a simple design; no mutations or edits
uncommon - Kimbers with any color and a slightly complex design; no mutations, little to no edits.
rare - A completely solid colored Kimber, a Kimber with a more complex design, or a Kimber with a mutation; one mutation and/or some edits.
very rare - Any Kimber with more than one mutation, a very complex design, larger/smaller than the standards, or with powers of any sort; multiple mutations and/or edits.
(will eventually link examples)

history
Maned African Kimbers are believed to be a near ancient species that seemed to disappear in the late 1900s. There are old documents that describe an animal described as 'almost mythical' that fits the description of Kimbers. They were centralized in Africa and parts of Asia, but at there population peak they were introduced to almost every continent. Between rapidly growing civilizations and lack of environment conservation, the Kimbers' numbers depleted rapidly. On a warm spring day, small groups of the species were found living tucked away in various places in Africa. After many sightings were reported and recorded, scientists went out to investigate what seemed to be the return of the great Kimber. It had been nearly fifty years since the last sighting of the species. Since the discovery, wildlife preserves and strict protection for the species have been put in place, as well as breeding programs. With their numbers growing, the world has witnessed the revival of an incredible species that has greatly changed and adapted over their lifetime.

rules
Kimbers are a closed species
respect all and be polite; this is a rule that will be enforced
contact arrows if you wish to gift your Kimber, or put it up for a readoption
they can be gifted or put up for readoption only after a month of owning
baby Kimbers can be grown after a month
you can take them offsite
you may not sell or trade your Kimber in any way
do not post staff forms when they are not open/don't ask if you can be on the staff
no mini-modding, please
do not steal a. an artist's design and b. another person's Kimber
do not ask for a custom
do not make your Kimber a fursona
do not bribe artists
please try to post discussion on the fanclub, as to not clog up the main thread
if you are banned, I have the right to revoke your Kimbers and readopt them
you may own 7 Kimbers for now
please do not argue or complain about the rules

artist rules
you may make occasional adopts for CS pets, C$, dA points, etc., but PM me first
customs must be approved by me and cannot go above uncommons at the moment
PM me about customs
all main rules and rules in general apply to you
keep rarities as they should be - make commons more often than rares
always add the rarity, gender, name, and palette of a Kimber, and an 'adopt me' sign if it as an adopt
try to make at least 3 adopts a month
I have the right to revoke your artist position as I see fit
if I find an adopt to be unfit for the species standards or anything along the lines, I can ask you to take it down
try to have all competitions judged within a month of their end date
PM me if something restricts you from making/judging adopts or if you go on hiatus
when we get to 50, 100, 200, etc. stop making Kimbers! There will be a special one that will go up. Artists will be elected/chosen for this.
any young Kimbers can/will be grown after 1 month of ownership!

guest artist rules
you may make up to 4 Kimbers within a 1-month period of time
3 must be adopt, 1 may be a custom or gift - not to say that you are not allowed to simply make 4 adopts
all contests and judging cannot run over a month
only 1 adopt can be rare and have any sort of mutation - or none, if you desire
please to not make any sort of major edit
all Kimbers must be free-adopt
if you break any sort of these rules or create some sort design that I find inappropriate/incorrect/etc., I have the right to ask you to change or remove it or remove your guest artist title
you will be removed as a GA after the 1 month, finished or not with all allowed designs; then it is up to me and the other artists as to if you will become a full artist

gifting rules
after gifting a Kimber, you may not ask for it back or have it returned to you in any way
PM me before gifting
you must wait a week after gifting to get/try-out for a new Kimber
if you 'gift' a Kimber and then are quickly 'gifted' another Kimber from the same party, I will consider that as trading and likely take away the Kimbers unless I am given a valid explanation.
I can reject the gifting if I feel necessary
if a Kimber is gifted without permission, I can ban/take the Kimber away

readoption rules
PM me first
ask the artist to make a readopt
your Kimber cannot be returned to you
there will be not runner-ups for a readopt
try to judge the competition within 1 month after the end date
you can judge and have standards for the readopt

staff
-owner
-artists
-guest artists
-archivist
-moderators

strikes
none, let's keep it that way!

bans
none, let's keep it that way!

application form
guest artist
Code: Select all
[u]I would like to be a Guest Artist![/u]
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Examples (minimum of 3):[/b]
[b]Have you read all rules?:[/b]
[b]How many adopts may GAs make?:[/b]
[b]Would you be interested in a full artist postition?:[/b]

[b]Why are you interested in this position:[/b]
[b]How often are you on CS?:[/b]
[b]Do you have any experience anywhere else?(link):[/b]
[b]Have you read and understood all rules?:[/b]

archivist
[b]How often are you on CS?:[/b]
[b]Do you have any experience anywhere else?(link):[/b]
[b]Can you update and code the archive at least weekly?:[/b]

affliates
none yet

stamps/banners/advertisements
none yet

fanart/editables
none yet

to do;;
fanclub
archive/archivist
artist/breeding thread
nursery & breeding
maybe more??

original concept by space bound
lines by ironicworld
owned by yours truly
by serBronn

isleen
caswallon
my chwr horses

I <3 my horse Indigo
ℓ ι ν є у σ υ η g. ℓ ι ν є ƒ я є є. ℓ ι ν є ƒ є α я ℓ є ѕ ѕ.

My Kiamara, Odysseus. Click the picture to the right to see information & all art for Odysseus!

by Niluna
Arrows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me