Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Aquicanich Adopts (staff search open) by Spotted.Newt

Based on Click to view
Artist Spotted.Newt [gallery]
Time spent 27 minutes
Drawing sessions 5
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Aquicanich Adopts (staff search open)

Postby Spotted.Newt » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:50 am

Α q υ ι c α n ι c н s

ah-kwih-cane-icks

Amphicanicthoids, more commonly known as Aquicanichs, are a unique species of aquatic mammals. They appear at a glance to be mostly canine, with the exception of fins on their backs that resemble sharks' fins.The word Amphicanichthoid stems from many root words. "Amphi" (both), "canis" (dog), "ichthy" (fish), and "oid" (resembling). Based on these roots, the word literally means "resembling both dog and fish." The word Aquicanich also includes the root word "aqui" (water), therefore meaning "water fish-dog."

There are several sub-species of Aquicanichs, named for their dorsal fins as well as other features.

Shark-finned or Common Aquicanich

This is the most common sub-species of Aquicanich, hence the name. Classified as Common.

Biology and Appearence wrote:Size;; 15 inches at the shoulder, 45 lbs.
The Shark-finned Aquicanich is known for its vibrant colors and patterns, matching the reefs it calls home. This species is mostly aquatic, though it does have the ability to survive out of water for up to one hour. Because it spends most of its time in the water, it has adopted to be able to breath underwater. The 'fur' around its neck is actually composed of thousands of tiny gills. These gills are very sensitive, and a Shark-finned Aquicanich should never be petted between the head and the shoulders as doing so could damage the gills. The toes of this species are webbed, making it a pretty fast short-distance swimmer. It can easily maneuver through the obstacle course that is a coral reef, with the ability to turn on a dime, dive, and swim upwards.

Habitat wrote:Warm waters. The Common Aquicanich generally inhabits coral reefs, though may occasionally be spotted in warm waters near the coast as well.

Diet wrote:Tropical fish are the favorite meal of a Shark-finned Aquicanich. It will also eat nudibranchs and sea jellies.

Behavior wrote:Common Aquicanichs are very social, and will interact with both other Aquicanichs and completely different species. They are very energetic, and competitive. However, they have short attention spans, and this can make them difficult to train. When hunting, they typically work either alone or with one or two other Commons
Common Aquicanichs are not territorial, though they may claim a small space for sleeping.

Tall/Orca-finned Aquicanich

Classified as Uncommon.

Biology and Appearence wrote:Size;; 25 inches at the shoulder, 95 lbs. (size of a German Shepherd Dog)
The Tall-finned Aquicanich is larger than the Common Aquicanich. It's fin stands very straight, and resembles the fin of a male Orca whale. It is known for its tall fin, and also for its coloring. An Orca-finned Aquicanich is only two or three colors, with large and less intricate patterns. Often, the patterns are simply splotches of a lighter color on the dark colored animal. The base color is almost always dark and the patterning color light, though occasionally "inverse" (light base dark pattern) Aquicanichs can be found. Inverse is considered rare.
This Aquicanich is semi-aquatic, with the ability to breath both underwater and on land. It has specialized airways, allowing it to either filter water across its gills or breath air with its lungs. The gills are placed on the sides of its neck, and are hidden by fur. This fur acts as a filter for salt and other particles, and allows the gills to function in both salt and fresh water. The Orca-finned Aquicanich has extensive webbing between its toes, and the toes can spread very far apart, especially the front toes. This makes the Aquicanich a fast long-distance swimmer, though it can be a little clumsy on land if it forgets to keep its toes close together for land travel. The weight of the large dorsal fin can also make land travel for long distances difficult/clumsy/akward.

Habitat wrote: Generally the open ocean. Anywhere you might be able to find Orca whales, you might also find Orca-finned Aquicanichs. They need lots of space.

Diet wrote: Fish, small sharks, small-medium sized mammals (anything from a mouse to a fawn), birds, eggs, etc. depending on whether the Aquicanich is hunting in the ocean or on land.

Behavior wrote: Orca-finned Aquicanichs are very social, amongst anyone whom they consider to be a part of their 'pack.' In the wild, Orca-fins travel, hunt, and live together in family units called packs. They can be aggressive towards those not in their packs, though they may be curious towards different species such as humans. They are high intelligent, and can be very focused when working (hunting, training, etc.) but they can also be playful. Their ability to focus makes them very easy to train.

Small/Whale-finned Aquicanich

Classified as Rare

Biology and Appearence wrote:Size;; 20 inches at the shoulder, 60 lbs. (size of a small Labrador retriever)
The Whale-finned Aquicanich is generally not very colorful. These Aquicanichs come in shades of blue and grey, and usually have speckling (scattered tiny light and/or dark specks). Speckling ranges from minimal to extreme. (See more on speckling in markings section.)
The Small-finned Aquicanich spends much of its time in the water, though it is just as comfortable on land. In fact, if it is near land, it may go up on land to sleep or rest after a long journey. It does not have gills, and must surface every two hours to breath or it will drown. The Small-finned Aquicanich has minimal webbing between its toes, no more than a Newfoundland dog. It is not the fastest swimmer, but it can swim for days without stopping to rest. It can also travel easily on land.

Special Markings wrote:Speckling:
Scattered small specks of color. Speckling comes in three color categories.
-->Salt speckling- light colored specks
-->Pepper speckling- dark colored specks
-->Salt & Pepper speckling- both light and dark specks
The amount of speckling varies depending on the individual Aquicanich, but there is a scale.
-->Minimal- only a few specks, barely noticeable.
-->Dash- some speckling, mainly on body.
-->Average- speckling on body, tail, and possibly face.
-->Extra- speckling on body, tail, face, and legs.
-->Extreme- speckling covers the individual, to the point where the base coat is barely visible. Usually happens only with S&P speckling.

Habitat wrote: Generally the open ocean, though they also reside near the coast. Anywhere you might be able to find whales, or seals, you might also find Whale-finned Aquicanichs.

Diet wrote: Small fish, birds, rodents, etc. depending on whether the Aquicanich is hunting on the land or in the ocean.

Behavior wrote: The Whale-finned Aquicanich tends to be on the shy side, though it is not aggressive. In the wild, these Aquicanichs do not travel in large groups, though they may live in a group of up to four. Generally, they are solitary.

Double/Rhino-finned Aquicanich

The rarest and most elusive sub- species of Aquicanich. Classified as Very Rare.

Biology and Appearence wrote:Size;; 17 inches at the shoulder, 50 lbs.
The Rhino-finned Aquicanich has two dorsal fins, a larger main fin and a smaller scent fin. The scent fin is very sensitive, and serves an interesting purpose. This fin functions as a scent gland (hence the name), secreting a unique oily substance. These Aquicanichs only ever have natural colors, such as browns, greys, and seaweed greens. An Aquicanich generally is only one color, though different shades of this color may be present on the being. The tips (paws, main fin tip, and tail tip) are always either a darker or lighter shade than the rest of the body, and the face/chest area is usually a darker shade. The Double-finned Aquicanich lives only in the water, and therefore has gills. It's toes have minimal webbing, as it does not travel around much, except within its own territory.

Special Markings wrote:Tips:
Coloring on the paws, end of the tail, and tip of the main fin. Comes in two colors, Dark or Light.

Soot:
Dark coloring on the face and chest, a darker shade than the main body color.

Habitat wrote: Caves and darker waters.

Diet wrote: Crustaceans, mollusks, eels.

Behavior wrote: Rhino-finned Aquicanichs are very territorial. They will claim caves and surrounding waters as their territory, and will patrol and defend this territory. An intruder may receive nasty bites to their scent fin. When marking a territory, a Rhino-fined Aquicanich will rub their scent fin up against rocks and plant life, leaving their scent. These Aquicanichs are not very social, living alone and staying away from other Rhino-fins except when it is time to breed.
Last edited by Spotted.Newt on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Aquicanich Adopts

Postby Spotted.Newt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 am

Ɍ υ ʟ е s

Rules for Adopters
    ~Do not claim this species as your own
    ~Current limit is: 7 Aquicanichs
    ~Do not steal any Aquicanich that isn't yours
    ~Do not edit your Aquicanich in any way without permission
    ~Do not make your own Aquicanich
    ~Do not ask for a custom
    ~No whining or complaining
    ~Do not sell/trade your Aquicanich for any type of currency
    ~Respect the staff/don't ask to be a staff member
    ~If you don't want your Aquicanich anymore, pm me and the artist so it can be put up for re-adoption
    ~No gifting Aquicanichs
    ~Be respectful!
    ~Please do not spam this thread with off-topic/continuous posts

Rules for Artists
    ~Please read about the different species before making an Aquicanich
    ~Please head the rarities of the different Aquicanich sub-species
    ~Please make at least two Aquicanichs per week, preferably more
    ~You may do runner-ups, but please don't do this too often
    ~You may not charge any sort of currency for an Aquicanich
    ~You may have one custom Aquicanich right now
    ~You may own 8 Aquicanichs, not including your custom

Rules for Guest Artists
    ~You may make 5 Aquicanichs
    ~You may make one custom for yourself, after you have made your adoptables
    ~You will be a guest artist for up to 3 weeks

Rules for Archivist
    ~Please be active, and keep up with the adopts
    ~You may have one custom

Rules for Mods
    ~Please be active
    ~You may have one custom
Last edited by Spotted.Newt on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spotted.Newt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 am

S t α ғ ғ

Owner

Artists

Mods

None! Searching for 0-1

Guest Artists

None! Searching for 2

Archivist

None! Searching for 1-2

Α ρ ρ ʟ ι c α t ι o n s

Artists

Mods

Code: Select all
[center][u][b][color=#0000BF].: I want to be a mod! :.[/color][/b][/u][/center]
[b]Username;;[/b]
[b]Experience;;[/b]
[b]Why you would like to be a mod;;[/b]
[b]How active you can be;;[/b]
[b]Anything else[/b];;

Guest Artists

[center][u][b][color=#0080FF].: I want to be a guest artist! :.[/color][/b][/u][/center]
[b]Username;;[/b]
[b]Experience/ examples of work;;[/b]
[b]Why you would like to be a guest artist;;[/b]
[b]Anything else[/b];;

Archivist

[center][u][b][color=#400080].: I want to be an archivist! :.[/color][/b][/u][/center]
[b]Username;;[/b]
[b]Experience;;[/b]
[b]Why you would like to be an archivist;;[/b]
[b]How active you can be;;[/b]
[b]Anything else[/b];;
Last edited by Spotted.Newt on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:22 am, edited 9 times in total.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spotted.Newt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 am

Ν е w s

Historic wrote:~6/29/15 Aquicanich Adopts opens
~8/15/15 we welcome AlcorTheDreambender
to the staff
Current wrote:~Searching for artists and mods

Ε v е n t s

Artist Competition has ended! Mod contest still in progress.
Last edited by Spotted.Newt on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spotted.Newt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 am

Ϲ υ s t o м s

Currently Closed

B r е е d ι n ɢ

Currently Closed

About
Breeding is between a male and a female Aquicanich only. Aquicanichs do not mate for life, with the exception of Rhino-finned Aquicanichs. Male Aquicanichs may breed 5 times in their life time, females 4 times. Again, Rhino-fins are the exception, with pairs breeding 3 times.

Concerning Twins
Shark-Finned Aquicanichs--> 80% chance of twins
Orca-finned Aquicanichs--> 50% chance of twins
Whale-finned Aquicanichs--> 25% chance of twins
Rhino-finned Aquicanichs--> 10% chance of twins

The different chances of twins helps to keep rarities in balance.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spotted.Newt » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:23 am

reserve
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spotted.Newt » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:23 am

reserve
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Open!!

Postby Spotted.Newt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:52 pm

Aquicanich Adopts is officially open!
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Love like I'm not scared,
Give when it's not fair,
Live life for another,
Take time for a brother,
Fight for the weak ones,
Speak out for freedom,
Find faith in the battle,
Stand tall but above it all,
Fix my eyes on You.
~For King & Country

I am also known as Griffin.Song.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Aquicanich Adopts (staff search open)

Postby Spotted.Newt » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:47 am

bump
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Love like I'm not scared,
Give when it's not fair,
Live life for another,
Take time for a brother,
Fight for the weak ones,
Speak out for freedom,
Find faith in the battle,
Stand tall but above it all,