Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Time's a Ticking - and Running Out Fast For Some by Svel

Artist Svel [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 20 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
24 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Time's a Ticking - and Running Out Fast For Some

Postby Svel » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:43 am

When it comes to animal cruelty, puppy mills, etc., the CS community has a lot to say. However, I'm surprised I haven't seen a lot about the something I'm going to talk about next, something that is also quickly approaching.

I'm talking about the highly controversial Yulin Dog Meat Eating Festival. Now, just to clarify: I'm not saying those who enjoy eating dog meat, or even participate in this festival are "bad guys". I'm talking about the festival as a whole, and the ethical issues about this festival.

This festival is to take part on June 21st this year (2015). During this time, hundreds and thousands of canine lives will be sacrificed to continue this barbaric tradition. Here comes the ethical considerations: Many dogs are brought up, only to be slain for this festival, promoting puppy mills and inhumane conditions for the dogs to be raised in. Dogs are beaten up, then skinned like ducks. It's also most disturbing that some dogs are brought to this festival with collars - your dogs who ran away a week before the festival? They'll most likely have lost their lives.

Dogs were brought up and domesticated to be our companions, not to be brought up in harsh conditions, to be slaughtered and eaten. Want to help? Here's a petition you can sign!

Oh, and for those cat lovers - according to Express and The Inquisitr‎, China is ignoring requests to stop this event, and is also adding cats to the menu.

The small progresses that have been made in stopping this festival:
According to Xinhua and Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (The below is quoted from SPCA's website) "As of the morning of June 17 – in light of the huge pressure from the public - the Yulin government announced that the government would withdraw from hosting the festival and that the slaughtering of dogs is no longer allowed to be carried out in public. This means that the festival is no longer “official" and that it is now just the action of commercial businesses and individuals."
Note that this festival is still allowed, and there is still a long way to go to ending this cruelty, but these small steps, and all our input shall help improve animal welfare as a whole!

(Sources mentioned above not linked, for some contain images which some might find disturbing)
An Irish Blessing wrote:
Always remember to forget
The troubles that passed away.
But never forget to remember
The blessings that come each day.

Unknown wrote:
Kindness is free; pass it on

On semi-hiatus wrote:It's been an awesome few years, CS. You've been a pivotal part of my childhood. I pop by every once in a blue moon to reminisce, and find myself smiling at familiar faces in the boards and the cool collectibles each time.

Avatar by Jenny Downing on Flickr
I love you, Laura, and I miss you dearly.
Svel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Time's a Ticking - and Running Out Fast For Some

Postby LINCOLNCLAY » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 am

This is beautiful.
‎‎‎‎ ‎‎ «JOHN DONOVAN»
DID YOU HELP LINCOLN CLAY MURDER SAL MARCANO
AND ALL PROMINENT MEMBERS OF HIS CRIME FAMILY?
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I DID.
GABRIEL / 18+ / SEASIAN / TRANS GAY MALE
/ HE HIM / VIDEO GAMES & ART ENJOYER / <3

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
RED DEAD REDEMPTION/MAFIA TRILOGY
/DEVIL MAY CRY/FINAL FANTASY XV + MORE
LINCOLNCLAY

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups