Hadal by Dr. Paine

Based on Click to view
Artist Dr. Paine [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 52 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Hadal

Postby Dr. Paine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:20 am

My first (? idk quite how to count her, but she's definitely my first win in a contest!) Mako ;v;

Will do accessories/proper character page soon, but base facts: deep sea diver/explorer, lives in an underwater cave (there is a dry/airy part with distant vents opening up above water). Deeply dislikes the land and only comes properly ashore when absolutely necessary, or at night/on gloomy days (eyes are very sensitive to sunlight). Can hold her breath for a very long time and withstand deeper pressure than normal; but requires a suit/breathing aid for deeper dives (record is 1,909 feet-- and yes, with special suits this is in fact possible!), occasionally partners with a friend ashore who owns a small submersible in order to witness true hadal depths. Scorpio (birthday October 31st because hey I can |D), heavily interested in astrology and other fortune-telling subjects. Accessory ideas: opal necklace/pendant, rebreather, glowing charms fashioned after anglerfish bulbs/bulb headlamp for deep dives. Often talks to herself, partly because it's just easier for her to work out her thoughts verbally. She has a large conch shell from since she was very young, and often treats it as the other party in a debate-- and over time, has come to think of it as her magic conch, as it has helped with some of her best ideas.

Hadal is currently:

open/CLOSED for roleplays and relationships.

OPEN/closed for casual interaction (ask.fm preferably) and casual friendships.
Last edited by Dr. Paine on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Paine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Hadal transparent

Postby Dr. Paine » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:17 am

Cheat Sheet wrote:

name: Hadal
nickname(s): N/A
birthday:October 31
number:#168

Family:
Mate: N/A
Children: N/A
In-laws: N/A

friends: N/A
physical traits:

-Normal fur
-Normal eared
-No horns
-Black sclera
-Glowing markings
-Orange tongue
-Purple pawpads
-About 4'9 tall
-670 lb

hex codes: #271D51#110B17#FFFFF8
#120E2F#6A687D#21017E#FA8000
#FBE377#514B7B

sexuality: Demisexual
Panromantic

tropes: ???
voice claim: Fenella Woolgar

Items:
-Anglerfish bulb headlamp
-Opal collar
-Conch shell

favorites:
food: Salmon
dessert: Apples
holiday: Halloween
color: Deep blue
books: Compilations of Greek myths
place: Her cave; deep ocean
animals: Crystal jellyfish
mythical creature: Leviathan
instrument: Harp
quote: "What is dead may never die,
but rises again, harder and stronger."

genre: Non-fiction; mythology

dislkes:
-Sunlight
-Land
-Cowardice
-Theft
-Pacifism
-Cheating/fighting dirty
-Dishonesty

pets: N/A
Residence: Underwater cave

hobbies:
-Gemstone collection
-History/mythology
-Fortune telling

code by: Commander Shepard
ρεяsσηαιтү

reѕervedrealιѕтѕelғιѕнcυrιoυѕadvenтeroυѕ
✢epιpelagιc✢
A beast of the deep through and through, Hadal prominently displays many of the most negative traits of both shark and dragonkind-- she often comes off as haughty and distant, and it's clear that her interests lie foremost in what will serve herself best-- any help to others is a secondary thought, though once her own needs are secured, she will often provide aid if a situation calls for it. She is a rather solitary mako, dwelling in a hollow rock formation whose entrance is deep in the sea, unknown to all but a few select individuals. Indeed, she lives up to both her namesakes; given that the hadal zone itself was named for 'Hades'. Hadal takes pride in her strength as well-- she is well suited for long-term cold temperatures, and even by mako standards, can withstand incredible pressure and hold her breath for an extended time. Of course, she wasn't content with just that, she's been pushing her limits for as long as she can remember. Not too long ago, she partnered up with a few divesuit makers to create a mako-compatible suit for longer, deeper dives-- and on one incredible occasion, she was able to join in a small submersible and explore the trench depths for which she was named. She has encountered a number of incredible creatures in her time, and along the strange coasts she lives... well, that's saying something. She hopes one day to encounter things once thought mythical-- colossal squid, perhaps even something that can only properly described as a leviathan.

✢мeѕopelagιc✢
Distant and cold, one might expect Hadal to believe herself to be above something like having friends... but in truth, she is just... very, very bad at dealing with others. She treats everything like one of her dives-- one must be prepared to do anything to save themselves, show no attachment (after all, how hard would it be then, to watch one's favorite subject suddenly be devoured?), and of course, one can never interfere with nature's course. These principles have become so ingrained, and her voyages to anywhere that might bring her in contact with other sentient beings are so rare... it's difficult to shake. When she does click with someone else though, Hadal is actually quite a pleasant friend! She's always eager to share her dive experiences, or discuss her other interests-- she is surprisingly knowledgeable about ancient Greek history, and finds the mythology utterly fascinating, devouring everything she can on the subject. Hadal is also quite talented at identifying gemstones, and owns quite a collection herself! Her favorites are opals (her birthstone), and her collar is studded with them, the largest being near-black at first glance, flashing a dizzying array of blues once put into the light. She's also quite interested in astrology and many other methods of fortune telling-- tarot, crystal readings, runes, even palm reading when around humans. Once she's gotten to know someone, she's always happy to provide a glimpse into the future... or at least, spend a few minutes going over cards, charts, runes and stones, using them as starting points to reach their own answers.

✢вaтнypelagιc✢
Believe it or not, there are a few reasons Hadal rarely comes up to the surface. As mentioned, she is more suited for deep-sea environments, and that includes her vision. Hadal's eyes are incredibly sensitive to light, and while that's incredibly useful in her dives... it means the sunlight is downright painful, leaving her with horrible headaches. And being so suited for the cold, Hadal can only come up for so long before she starts to overheat-- indeed, between these factors, Hadal's longer surface visits only take place from October through the end of February. She also has difficulty carrying on conversations with others. While she does well on subjects she knows, overall small talk leaves her fumbling and nervous, and is generally expressed as cold indifference, if not just her flat out leaving to break the awkwardness. Indeed, the only person Hadal really feels comfortable freely talking to is... well, herself! At home, Hadal often talks to herself, usually while trying to work out whatever idea's stuck in her mind; she finds it near impossible to make any real progress without expressing it verbally. For the longest time, she's used a large conch shell as the other half, whether it be for support, debate, self-criticism... whatever it is, she always discusses it with the conch first. After all, if something doesn't sound right to a shell, what are the odds it'll sound right to someone else who can actually think?

✢aвyѕѕopelagιc✢
Named for the lord and land of the dead, regularly spending her time in depths most others only see in their nightmares. One would be forgiven for thinking Hadal is truly fearless. She never really expresses any sort of concern or discomfort... but there are indeed quite a number of things Hadal fears, she simply doesn't know how to express them. Nor does she want to-- Hadal's pride in her independence is enormous, admitting fear or need of help to someone else would seriously damage how she sees herself.

Above all else, Hadal fears drowning. Not death itself, she is quite okay with her own mortality. It's the how that terrifies her; and the worst way she can imagine is some kind of breach in her suit that slowly fills it with water until she can no longer move, or she is unable to reach the air in time before passing out, or perhaps even being attacked by some unknown beast larger and stronger than herself. Hadal fears the dark as well, dark so deep even she can't see through it, and in such darkness... anything can be hiding. And yet Hadal fears the light too; bright light that creates such stabbing pain in her eyes and head, and she's afraid that one day it will be too much, and she won't be able to see again-- only an unending black. But Hadal knows her fears, and knows how to minimize the risk. After that... well, it's simply a matter of asking herself, is it worth letting the fear win? Sometimes, it actually is-- she pulls back from a deep dive, retreats to her lair until the clouds roll in or night falls, swims away from the great gaping maw below, even if there's a high chance it's simply a trench. But often, the fear has no reason to win, and she pushes past it-- like her first dive in the submersible, Hadal spent the entire night before talking with her shell, going over every possible route of failure she could think of... and in turn, reminding herself of what had been done to deal with such risks. And in the end, if something failed... well, what could she do then? Best to go on and enjoy things, right?

Still, after particularly close calls, Hadal will often retreat into her cave for a week or more, just needing some solitude to remind herself that ultimately... things will be okay, and that she doesn't need help from anyone else.

♫ мυsιc ♫
(Blanket content warning on all)

Losing Sleep
Snuff Out The Light
One More Soul To The Call

❤ αят ❤
None yet :c
Dr. Paine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery