Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Poffin Bears [New Species Grand Opening] by Warrdog

Based on Click to view
Artist Warrdog [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 2 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Poffin Bears [New Species Grand Opening]

Postby Warrdog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Archives Fanclub Hatchery/Nursery Customs Roleplay Known Colonies

Poffin Bears are a unique species of plant/animal hybrid recently discovered by scientists in the Amazon Jungle. Their facial features resemble bears, but they act more like plants in the sense that they do not require food such as meats and greens, but often bask in sunlight. It is speculated that these creatures create their own food through photosynthesis and gathering nutrients from soil. Poffin bears are very social creatures and have been found living in family colonies of sometimes over 25 members. They live in trees or under tree roots and seem to have a unique healing ability when surrounded by other plants. This ability is triggered usually by eating another plant. Little more is known about these creatures other than that occasionally they will grow edible fruits that closely resemble those found around the earth.

staff wrote:owned by;; Freaksho
lines credit to;; bugabee

artists
permanent;;
Freaksho
xxx
xxx
guest;;
xxx
xxx
ghost;;
xxx
xxx

moderators
head;;
xxx
team;;
xxx
xxx

archivist
xxx

rarities wrote:A brief guide
Fruits

There are no specific rarities on what
fruits they grow, but how many grow
at a time. PB's that grow around 1-3 fruits
a season are common, 4-5 fruits is
uncommon, greater than five fruits is
rare, and no fruits at all or many
different kinds of fruits
is ultra
rare

Coloration

PBs are most commonly seen
with natural base colors, and minimal
plant-like greens as marking colors. It is more
uncommon to see PBs
with plant-like green base colors, and unnatural
colors as markings. It is rare to see
PBs with Unnatural base coats
and markings that do not compliment
each other (example: Purple and yellow are
compliment colors). It is ultra rare to
see a PB with a black or white
base coat; these colors can be used
as markings, but not as a solid base.

Eyes & Spots

A PBs spots should always match their
eye color or be a very close similar color
to their eyes. There is no real
set rarity to be determined by
a PB's eyes, however, the color
of the spots and eyes should
compliment, or contrast tastefully
with their base coat.

breeding wrote:PBs lay eggs when they breed
Hatchlings are cared for by the mother
for the first month after birth, then
they become the responsibility of
the colony. Newborn PBs are called
Cubs, and they will have no fruits.
Their eggs often show the dulled
colors of how the hatchling will
look, and a hatchling's color will
be much brighter than the adult
colors.

Size Range

Adult - Young Panda
Teen - Great Dane
cub - Australian Shepherd
Egg/Hatchling - Small Cat

♠ A Little On Poffin Bears
It is known that Poffin Bears were not born on earth,though scientists don't know where exactly they came from or when exactly they arrive on earth. They can't even begin to speculate how they got to earth in the first place, and so it is known that a lot of research must be done on the species. They are Currently being held in a sanctuary in the northern rain forest, though there are a few known wild colonies that are being monitored and studied.

♠ Scientific Studies Show
Poffin bears have only been under surveillance for around thirty years, and while little is known about the species itself they have proven to be rather intelligent. Capable of building small structures such as huts out of the surrounding foliage, and crafting small items such as bracelets out of natural things they find like grass and shells. Poffin Bears are not capable of communicating with humans or other beings other than their own, however, they have shown evidence of being able to understand human language, and few attempt to make noises or gestures to show their understanding of communication. The wild Poffin bears do not exhibit this behaviour and are much more shy and secretive about their interactions; they prefer to avoid humans and domesticated Poffins.

♠ What Makes Them Different
There are some poffins that show special traits, these traits are considered mutations, as they are very uncommon, and are usually shown in older poffins or very early on in the stages of a poffin's life. These traits include, Glowing spots/eyes, Gem-like growths on a poffin's spots, and inedible gem-like fruits. With the gem growths, especially with the fruits, even though these gems can be removed (and grow back to be removed again) they are extremely painful to do so. Often times these gem-like growths are real gems, such as rubies, sapphires, and the like, but the Poffins will not allow them to be removed, as unlike regular fruits there seems to be an unnatural bond between the gems and the poffin that require special removal methods.

There have also been more "natural" mutations such as additional limbs and organs (like another eye). Though these are more common than the gem mutations, they are still pretty rare to be seen on a poffin bear.

♠ Where The Name Comes From
Poffin bears get their names from the pokemon snack, poffins. They were named by the head scientist's daughter who was a pokemon fanatic. She noticed that the spots on the leaves of a poffin bear resembled closely to the shape of the pokemon snack poffins. Her father studies these areas on the leaves of poffin bears as they tended to give off a sweet smell; as the leaves molted off the bear it was discovered that the leaves died, but the spots did not. The spots on a poffin bear's leaves are edible and can be baked, much like most seeds and eaten. When baked the seed pod can be opened, the nut inside after being baked is warm and tastes like a sweet, albeit soft sugar cookie.

♠ Family Life For Poffin Bears
It has been observed that whether in captivity or left in the wilds Poffin Bears live in family colonies and need some sort of representation of that in their lives or they suffer from a form of manic depression. When in the depressed state a Poffin Bear will not produce and fruits and it's eyes/spots will turn a dull grey; the bear will refuse to eat. If not remedied the bear can die from this state either by starvation or dehydration.

Poffin Bear family troops vary from large 25 member troops to small 5 member troops. The size depends entirely on the abundance of food and the area the troop resides in. Family troops are lead by one head whether its a male or female doesn't matter, this head is usually mated, and the mated pair provides guidance for the rest of the troop who are expected to follow the decisions of their head. In the case of larger groups there may be more than one head, but this is entirely up to the first leader of the group whether to accept another leader's aid over their mate. Family troops often control an area that can sometimes span over 50 miles depending on how large the family is. Territories are often large so that the bears can travel from place to place in search of more rich land, though they will always return to past densities when needed.

Ranks in a family group are as follows:
Head/*War general - The head is the absolute law of the troop; this bear makes the rules, and decides when the family moves, where they make their dens, and controls the population of the troop by either deciding who is allowed to breed or who is allowed to stay with the troop. This is often times an older bear with experience.

*Secondary head/Peace general - This rank is a temporary/conditional rank. If the troop is too large for one head to handle then a secondary leader will be instated into the ranks of the troop. The head rank is then split into war and peace general. The peace general leads in times of peace, and war general takes over in times of war. Both heads have equal power within the troop.

Shaman - The shaman is the troop's professional healer. While each bear is able to heal itself fairly easily the shaman ensures the health of most of the newborns, and takes care of the elders. If an adult is in extreme need of help then shaman assists with that. Other than the head, the shaman is also a great source of knowledge.

Troop members -These are the bulk of the troop; each member helps to hunt and defend the territory when called to do so. When around the dens each member is expected to keep things tidy and watch over the young.

Den Mothers - Den mothers are the currently pregnant or mothers who have recently given birth that stay behind to care for the cubs, and elders until they are fit to return to their normal duty.

Cubs - The young of the Troop.

Elders - Older members of the troop no longer seen as fit to serve in battles, but are still useful in hunts. Most elders aid in caring for the densite or gathering supplies.

Omegas - The lowest rank in the troop. These are members on "probation" for committing a crime against the troop, or an outsider trying to earn its way into the troop. They are not treated badly per say, however, they aren't treated like normal troop members and don't have as many privileges.

♠ Domestication
Some Poffin Bears are allowed to live in the research compound with the scientists, and just recently have been up for adoption with the outside world, however, adopted Poffin bears are not allowed to leave the research facility and so are kept there with certain tags that identify them as being owned. Wild Poffin bears have come to identify these tags and will often times avoid other bears who wear them. Owners are allowed to visit the facility as often as they wish so long as they do not cause a disturbance with their bears or for the scientists. Domesticated Poffin bears are still required to carry out their duties in their troop; those who fail to do so risk being abandoned/exiled.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE LOG
- Breeding lines:

- Main Lines:

- Event Lines:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-
LINKS
Archive

Breeding lines- Here

- No bans
- Keep it this
way

may only own

7 Poffin bears; this does not include
bears won through events.

Anyone caught
exceeding these
limits will be given
ONE warning.
R U L E S !!
- Give all staff and owners your
full respect

- Do not use/steal designs that do
not belong to you

- Do not ask to become a mod/artist

- If you see any violators/theft
please PM Freaksho IMMEIDATELY

- Poffin Bears can NOT be fursonas,
as fursonas should be an extension of
yourself, and since you do not own
this species it should not be used
for such purposes.

- Only one person may own a Poffin Bear.
There is no co-owning.

- 3 warning= ban
Ban= :( get it?

More rules will be added as needed.
As owner/creator Freaksho reseves the right
to deny anyone the ability to own any part of this
species. Freaksho also reseves the right to
change/add rules as necessary.

* New Rules *Important rules
Last edited by Warrdog on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Important announcement wrote:
Nothing to report here
Hope everyone is enjoying themselves
Thanks for taking the time to have a look at
the information in my
signature c:

I used to be FREAKSHO, don't steal
I will use the name again.

╔═══════════════════════════╗

╚═══════════════════════════╝
Warrdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Poffin Bears [New Species Grand Opening]

Postby ShimmeringShadowsAJ » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:07 pm

I...Want...One...
*clicks* "Here Poffin bear... here Pb...." Xd
I am in love with F.O.X.Y (Or on animal jam, Elenaeliz) I love him. His father died, recently due to canser. Please, help him through this rough time in his life..

Also, if you even think about putting a finger on him, i swear to the holy lord above i will find you....... (Jk, just leave mah baby alone.)
ShimmeringShadowsAJ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Warrdog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Haha, glad to see these guys already getting a few likes. There will be a few up tonight x3

Nothing to report here
the information in my
signature c:

Warrdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heir » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Yayz! *casually marks* ;3

;

─────────────────────

〈 amor, amor de mis amores 〉

🌎

hey i'm finn & i think you're pretty cool

;
heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolfunicorn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:29 pm

*le dies again*
Wolfunicorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Warrdog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:35 pm

First Bear is up!

(Just realised, I completely derped and didn't move this to adoptables, haha. I'll get it moved sooon~)

Nothing to report here
the information in my
signature c:

Warrdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marmoset » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Omg I need 3000 of these <333 and a half

I'll be on the lookout if you ever need artists xD
ON FULL HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
╔═══════════════════════╗
Image Image Image Image
Used to be Marmoset
<--- Left Sorbet art by Lilelith
JBDs|tumblr|YouTube|dA|Ask.fm
╚═══════════════════════╝
ImageImageImage
Marmoset

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Galaxy~Nova » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:59 pm

marking and will you have a art comp?
-under construction-
Galaxy~Nova

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Warrdog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Marmoset wrote:Omg I need 3000 of these <333 and a half

I'll be on the lookout if you ever need artists xD

Haha, Glad to hear it. I'll make a post when Artist comp goes up, but I think I can handle things for now ;3
Glad there's interest in these guys x3

Galaxy~Nova wrote:marking and will you have a art comp?

I may sometime in the near future, but I think I can handle running things right now. Moderator and archivist apps are going up soon though.

Nothing to report here
the information in my
signature c:

Warrdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Warrdog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:23 am

second bear up, and I'm hitting the hay for tonight!

Nothing to report here
the information in my
signature c:

Warrdog

My pets