Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Fursona? Cooler me? idk it's still a wip by Dr. Paine

Artist Dr. Paine [gallery]
Time spent 3 hours, 43 minutes
Drawing sessions 6
6 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Fursona? Cooler me? idk it's still a wip

Postby Dr. Paine » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:45 am

... eh, I guess it qualifies as a fursona so why bother splitting hairs? xD (and my god I am so not used to drawing gryphons...)

I've been wanting to do this for... ... geez, years now. Five or six is a decent estimate? But I've never been able to figure out what would best represent me, though I've solidly bounced back and forth between 'some kind of owl' and 'some kind of cat' for a long time. They're two of my favorite animals, I love the loads of mythology behind them both, they show up a lot on personality tests, I'm... among other things, very much a night person; so I finally gave up and decided 'well why can't I be an owl-cat gryphon'?

Owl part will be based on a Sooty Owl as the picture goes on (and after taking a close look at the spots, you can bet I'm stylizing some of the bigger ones to look like little hearts), while the cat part is... mostly just your average black housecat; but big (the ruff there is actually supposed to be feathery, probably based more on crow/raven feathers because I also love them, and it stands in for a few things that don't come across well on animals). May remove the ears, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about those.

Also debating on adding any kind of... accessories or anything xD I may include a few references to some of my favorite stories/things that have left an impact on me, anyway... probably no clothes since how are you going to dress a gryphon, but she will probably have some glowing things... ... and I think that's it for now.

Oh, and don't worry about suggesting names-- she will be called Paine, which is the name I've gone by for... ever since I was like, twelve or thirteen anyway. It's a bit of a relic, but it's what most people (CS/Eldemore community is the one big exception) have ever known me as, and I've got no intention of changing it any time soon.
Dr. Paine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fursona? Cooler me? idk it's still a wip

Postby Boghound » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 am

aaah paine this looks super cool. 8D
can't wait to see how this progresses! the little heart spots are gonna be so cute aaah.
the anatomy really isn't that bad! only tiny crit i can offer is that, proportion wise, you might want to make the head a teeny bit bigger.
-
-
-
-
✦✦✦

elijah/eli. they/him. adult. severely mentally ill.
open to dms if you need to chat for whatever reason!
utterly obsessed with kento nanami, my husband.

🦈

✦✦✦

Boghound

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dr. Paine » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:15 am

Graham wrote:aaah paine this looks super cool. 8D
can't wait to see how this progresses! the little heart spots are gonna be so cute aaah.
the anatomy really isn't that bad! only tiny crit i can offer is that, proportion wise, you might want to make the head a teeny bit bigger.

:D Thank you (seriously, that does mean a lot coming from you :>), I'm really excited to see how it turns out xD

And I had tried that the first few times, but it always came out too big >.< Plus it got kind of a weird position in this one... I may give it another go though since it is bugging me/might be part of why the ears seem weird-- that's how big the /head/ should be, not just these couple of little triangles up there xD

ETA: Alright, made the head bigger... and I like this a lot more! :D Though the face/eyes will need some re-working, they seem just... too small for this xD /sucks at drawing owl faces
Dr. Paine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Boghound » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:39 pm

there ya go, the head looks proportional now. :D
the beak looks a bit tiny, but i'd say the eyes are about spot on, though could be bigger if you feel the need.

edit:
this is looking awesome! :D also, super love the way you did the front feet.
i can't wait to see this all finished so i can draw you fanart haha.

Last bumped by Dr. Paine on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:39 pm.
-
-
-
-
✦✦✦

elijah/eli. they/him. adult. severely mentally ill.
open to dms if you need to chat for whatever reason!
utterly obsessed with kento nanami, my husband.

🦈

✦✦✦

Boghound

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me