Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Selkie lines WIP by BlackWren

Artist BlackWren [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 27 minutes
Drawing sessions 6
12 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Selkie lines WIP

Postby BlackWren » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm actually supprised that I haven't seen these around on chicken smoothie. Selkies are mythological creatures found in Faroese, Icelandic, Irish, and Scottish folklore, and they're stunning to me. Selkies are said to live as seals in the sea but shed their skin to become human on land.
    Of course Selkies are suppose to be human or seal not both according to the mythology, though I really think they're adorable this way <3

I was inspired by this artists gallery and their lovely drawings of Selkies ;w; I'll make the male sketch sometime soon!
Last edited by BlackWren on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Formerly Dave Egbert/bad ideas dave/Cherry-Prince ]

What's up fam! I'm Wren, and my life is a dumpster fire! ✌
Mostly come on now a days to check my messages. I'm not active on DA or anywhere else really anymore so don't feel bad if I don't reply for a while! I come and check messages every month or so.
DnD is my active hobby and I'm invested in Critical Role quite heavily :D
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImage

DATH
BlackWren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Selkie lines WIP

Postby Nebelung » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Oh my cod, what are the odds that I had just found an interest in these creatures?
As soon as I saw it, I knew you were inspired by StressedJenny (name correct? I haven't visited her gallery in so long...). Her drawings of Selkies were downright adorable!

Very nice sketch! :D Very cute! I've got myself in a Kelpie-obsession, but that doesn't mean I don't take interest in the other folklore creatures. c:

she | adult who fails at adulting | engaged ♥
Nebelung

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Venari » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:47 pm

oh wow *w*

i like the artist's gallery that you linked to. such cyootness<3

the half human half seal concept omigosh XD i really want to make these sort of pirate mermaid/merman colony underwater with all sorts of different species now o3o but i don't know how to draw people :<
    on a hiatus, sorry for the sudden leave guys, personal problems. please understand!

ImagexxxxxxxxxxImage
Venari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlackWren » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:55 am

Nebelung wrote:Oh my cod, what are the odds that I had just found an interest in these creatures?
As soon as I saw it, I knew you were inspired by StressedJenny (name correct? I haven't visited her gallery in so long...). Her drawings of Selkies were downright adorable!

Very nice sketch! :D Very cute! I've got myself in a Kelpie-obsession, but that doesn't mean I don't take interest in the other folklore creatures. c:

Yep!
    It's actually by chance I found this artist again. My girlfriend was showing me a bunch of adorable Selkie artwork from them and I was just freaking out I loved them so much.
    I'd wanted to make one of these sooooooo so long ago - like, three years or somethin like that - but I'd totally forgotten so I really got inspired to draw them, and as future adoptables no less! >w<
    And yes~ I love folklore it's amazing <3

Venari wrote:
    oh wow *w*

i like the artist's gallery that you linked to. such cyootness<3

the half human half seal concept omigosh XD i really want to make these sort of pirate mermaid/merman colony underwater with all sorts of different species now o3o but i don't know how to draw people :<

Ikr?! They're so adorable <3
    And if you practice you will! Look at tons of references and stuff and you'll do fine I promise >ww<

I also take commissions so if you ever want me to make you something I'd totally do it , and for a good price too ;3 I need to practice my underwater creatures ;u;

Mostly come on now a days to check my messages. I'm not active on DA or anywhere else really anymore so don't feel bad if I don't reply for a while! I come and check messages every month or so.
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImage

DATH
BlackWren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby User Quit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:37 am

Hey, Hey Dave, when did you get so good at humanoids?
Quit
User Quit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZombiePoodle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:50 am

Oh my goodness, this is an amazing drawing! <3
I absolutely love Selkies, and man does this take me back to when I first stumbled upon StressedJenny's work!

Nebelung wrote:Oh my cod, what are the odds that I had just found an interest in these creatures?

Shoot I think you are telepathic.
I am absolutely in love with StressedJenny's artwork, but I too had not visited her gallery in a very long time!
(I admit, I used to be slightly obsessed with Mias and Elle x3)
Her gallery actually inspired me to wright a short story about a Selkie and a man who takes her seal skin.
There may also have been a side story about a girl who cries seven tears into the water and is whisked away by a Selkie man, but I'm not sure if that actually ever got written, or was just in my head x3
(Sadly, that was a long time ago, and I have no idea where that notebook went -_-)

Back to this telepathic thing... I too am obsessed with Kelpies :3
I'm actually working on my own Kelpie character, and I have a small hoard of the Kelpie ponies from last Halloween.
asdfghjkl; I love folklore so much <3

---
Anyways, I just want to thank you profusely Dave Egbert, for creating this amazing piece of art, and letting me take a stroll down memory lane :3
So beautiful <3
ZombiePoodle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlackWren » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:58 am

ZombiePoodle wrote:
Oh my goodness, this is an amazing drawing! <3
I absolutely love Selkies, and man does this take me back to when I first stumbled upon StressedJenny's work!

Shoot I think you are telepathic.
I am absolutely in love with StressedJenny's artwork, but I too had not visited her gallery in a very long time!
(I admit, I used to be slightly obsessed with Mias and Elle x3)
Her gallery actually inspired me to wright a short story about a Selkie and a man who takes her seal skin.
There may also have been a side story about a girl who cries seven tears into the water and is whisked away by a Selkie man, but I'm not sure if that actually ever got written, or was just in my head x3
(Sadly, that was a long time ago, and I have no idea where that notebook went -_-)

Back to this telepathic thing... I too am obsessed with Kelpies :3
I'm actually working on my own Kelpie character, and I have a small hoard of the Kelpie ponies from last Halloween.
asdfghjkl; I love folklore so much <3

---
Anyways, I just want to thank you profusely Dave Egbert, for creating this amazing piece of art, and letting me take a stroll down memory lane :3
So beautiful <3

No problem! I'm actually going to make these into an adoptable sorta thing so because can own their own Selkie character :3

Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImage

DATH
BlackWren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZombiePoodle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 am

*Dies*
That's amazing!
I'll have to wait until you do, so that I can achieve my own adorable little Selkie <3
AKA I'm totally going to stalk you and your gallery :}
ZombiePoodle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me