Watch the Mistress
"Missy"
Breed:
Mustang
Color:
Buckskin with frosting

Journal entry one
        July 13, 2013
          The new mustang arrived this morning. Unloading itself was difficult! She first wouldn't budge, and attempted to buck and kick. The veterinarian came in and gave the mare a mild sedative to calm her. This made unloading much easier, as she was drowsy and more cooperative. We immediately stuck her into a pasture. This pasture was void of all horses, as we weren't sure how she would react. There were a few horses in the neighboring pasture though. The sedative wore off quickly, and as it turns out, she was a feisty mare. She galloped around frantically for about an hour before she settled down. I sat on the fence of the pasture and talked to her, letting her get used to my voice, and the sight of me. Whenever I would move, she would fly off to the other end of the pasture. It took hours just for her to let me in the pasture with her. I left and got a handful of carrots. I figured she would be hungry after her long trip here. I took a few steps towards her, and she shied away. I knew that I would get nowhere with force, so I set the carrot down and walked away. Once I had retreated to the opposite side of the pen, she approached the carrot. With a few tentative licks, she ate it. Her ears had perked up towards me, and I feel she knew I had more. I repeated the process quite a few times, each time retreating a little less far. After a while, she was eating out of my hand. That is the only way I could approach her though: with food. I tentatively reached out to let her sniff me. I hoped this would allow me to become companions with her. This was a bad idea though, as she bit me! She has a hard bite, and my hand hurts just writing this. Perhaps I will have more luck tomorrow.

Stuff to do:
          - name her
          - try to pet her

Journal entry two
        July 15, 2013
          I have decided to make these entries every other day. We settled on Watch the Mistress for a show name because of her prissy attitude. She acts as if she runs the place! Her barn name will be Missy. Yesterday she let us pet her, and she seemed nice enough. We also brought her a halter to let her smell and get used to. She let us rest it on her withers. She learns fast. Today, we slipped the halter on. She threw up her head at first and refused to move. We unclipped the lead rope and let her run around with the halter on. We took a break for lunch [a turkey and cheese sandwich] and then returned and worked with walking her on a halter. She started cooperating after an hour. We finally made progress! By the end of the day, she would trot alongside us. She has good dressage potential. I am thinking about using her as an eventing horse. We'll see how she does with jumping. Perhaps we could lunge her tomorrow, and work her over jumps. Once we had her cooperating on a lead, we brought another mare in from the pastures. The other mare had settled in and started grazing, Missy had tentatively approached her. They smelled each other and then they both began grazing. She didn't react badly with this mare, but who knows how she will deal with a stallion or gelding.

Stuff to do tomorrow:
          - lunge
          - work over jumps
          - saddle
          - ride
          - stable
◄▶▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅◀►

if i go crazy then will you still
call me
superman
if i’m alive and well, will you be
there a-holding my