Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Windmakers - Now Open! by owls-in-october

Artist owls-in-october [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 22 minutes
Drawing sessions 6
5 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Windmakers - Now Open!

Postby owls-in-october » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello! Welcome to a land where windmakers lurk! What is a windmaker, you ask? Well, I'm assuming you know little of the joys of the world - not knowing what a windmaker is! But why don't you come find out?

What is a Windmaker?
A windmaker is many, many things, but first we'll start with the simple stuff. A windmaker is a fluffy dragon, with big eyes, raccoon-style paws with thumbs, and antennae like a bumblebee's. They almost always have brightly colored, unnatural markings, and in fact it is considered rare to find a Windmaker with natural markings (we'll talk about "why" in a moment.) Windmakers sip nectar and the juices of fruits by using their long tongue. They are mainly herbivorous, but occasionally during spring, summer, and fall, when they're caring for hatchlings, they'll eat some bugs in order to help them gain energy.

Now we get into the complicated. First off, Windmakers cannot be seen by humans - only by animals. There is a reason for this! Humans would go insane if they saw all the Windies around them, because Windmakers are literally everywhere outdoors. This is also the reason that Windmakers have bright colors; they have no natural predators, except for perhaps annoying housecats. They don't need a disguise.

And finally, into the very complicated. Windmakers make wind.

How, you ask? Do you say that this is ridiculous and laughable? But then where do you think the wind comes from? The moon? Ha! But I will answer the "how." Windmakers inhale and exhale like any of us...except that they exhale through tiny pores on their feet. Plus, Windmakers breath so fast, inhale so quickly, that they create their own little cushions of air and wind underneath them; much like rocket boots, except with wind, not fire. And that is how Windmakers create the winds of the world. They have such high population numbers, especially in Tornado Alley (the tornadoes are caused by courting during mating season), that wind is always on the move. And once again, they're invisible to humans. That is why, when humans lose a hat or scarf to the wind...Windmakers find it.

Are all the pieces falling together now? Good. There's still more to come.

More About Windmakers

There are three main types of Windies. First off, the land (for lack of a better word) Windmakers. Then there are the forest Windies. And finally, the rarest and most unique of the species - the aquatic Windies.

Land Windmakers:
Land Windmakers, the most common kind of the bunch, hover above land at all times. They never once in their lives touch the ground. At night, when their breathing slows and they're asleep, they hover in a puff of air above the ground. And in spring, when they lay eggs, the eggs don't actually "lay." Land Windies, LWs, store their eggs in a pouch, inside of their big bushy tails. Mainly the females do this, but since they both have pouches, it works all around. Most are able to fit in the palm of a human's hand.

Forest Windmakers:
Forest Windies, FWs, are slightly rarer than LWs. They live deep in forests miles and miles away from humans, often never seeing a human in their lives. FWs often have fur in shades of green, blue, and purple, reflecting their leafy surroundings. And at night, when they're not speeding about, they land in trees (being careful to not cover their breathing paws), and fall asleep flat on their backs with their paws pointed towards the sky. FWs lay eggs in the summer, and when they do they lay them in hollows inside of the trees. Slightly smaller than LWs.

Aquatic Windmakers:
The final Windmakers, and the rarest, are the Aquatic ones. These can be huge, up to ten feet long, and thousands of times bigger than a Land Windmaker. AWs are so enormous, and capable of holding so much air (their lungs take up 70% of their insides), that they only come up once a year to breathe - and when they do, it causes hurricanes. Little more is known about these, so I have to stop there.
Windmaker Rules For Adoption

1.) You may adopt up to 4 Windmakers. This does not count those that you breed.
2.) Please do not pester/spam/argue/etc. in this thread.
3.) Please do not pester me to become an artist/mod/archivist. I'll be hiring all of those soon, but I'm doing it on my own time.
4.) Customs are never going to be available; they can only be made by my future artists, and only for my future artists.
5.) If you don't want your Windmaker anymore, PM me to sort it out.
6.) No adding to a form, such as adding art or something, unless it's part of the form itself. In other words, no extras unless otherwise specified.
7.) To my future artists - Windmakers sometimes wear add-ons, but only the minimum, like scarves, hats, etc. that they steal from humans.

Breeding Rules

Breeding will be available at one point. You can only breed a LW to a LW or a FW to a FW. Also, Windmakers cannot be homosexual in any manner; they are natural creatures, and no wild animal on Earth is homosexual.

Windmakers often lay 2 eggs, sometimes 3, rarely 4. The eggs take two weeks (five human days) to hatch. The babies will remain babies for six months (two-three human weeks).

Staff

Artists:
Maeflower

{currently not taking more artists}

Mods:
[none; PM me if you want to be a mod]

Archivist:
[none; PM me if you want to be a mod]

owls-in-october

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Windmakers - Now Open!

Postby owls-in-october » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:31 am

Now open! First Windie will be up this afternoon.
owls-in-october

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby owls-in-october » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:34 am

Oh, and you guys are free to post comments now! Probably should've said that earlier...but yeah, I would love to have some critique on this adoptable so that it could improve! :)
owls-in-october

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sicknasty » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 am

Aww, so cute!
just not here anymore -
check out my da or add me on discord!

box - they/them or she/hers
about - my kalons - da

ImageImageImage
sicknasty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby owls-in-october » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks...I'm actually having the lineart revamped by now, that's why no adoptables have been posted yet. So I'm only keeping this open so I don't lose the species facts.
owls-in-october

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me