Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

R.I.P. Squirrelflight "Gerbite" by snowykay

Artist snowykay [gallery]
Time spent 40 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
11 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

R.I.P. Squirrelflight "Gerbite"

Postby snowykay » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 am

This is the reason I was offline all day yesterday.
On Friday, January 25th, 2013, my beloved gerbil Squirrelflight passed away. We don't know exactly how old he was, because he was an adult when we adopted him from Pet Smart on August 26th of 2008 along with his brother Speedy. Squirrelflight was my gerbil; the one I picked out from the others. I thought he was a girl at first, so I named him Squirrelflight, but when I found out that he was male I had already named him. Squirrelflight was the biter. He nibbled on people's fingers as well as his favorite treat: a sunflower seed. So his nickname quickly became Gerbite. It was from the two words gerbil and bite, and it sounded like Squirrelflight, so it was perfect. Many gerbils turn on each other eventually, but not Gerbite and Speedy (my sister's gerbil). They lived in the same cage (which was basically a mansion for a gerbil) and got along perfectly. On Thursday the 24th (I had a day off of school on Friday) I went to a sleepover with some of my friends that aren't here on Chicken Smoothie. Now, I was the one who usually checks on the gerbils, feeds them, cleans their cage, and plays with them. They lived in my room, after all. So I fed them and everything before I left, and Gerbite was happy and playful. I gave him a treat and stroked his little head, then I set off. The day after when I came home, I didn't check on the gerbils. I figured they were alright because I wouldn't need to feed them and all until later in the evening, so I went on Chicken Smoothie. I am not sure when the end came for Gerbite, but around 9:00 (pm) or so I went into my room to feed them and clean their place. When I approached their cage, I was above, but then I saw the bottom half of Gerbite, stretched out in the bedding. I couldn't see the rest of him because two of their platforms were hiding him from me. I slowly leaned down so I could see him, my eyes following up his still body. Then I got to his head. His neck was torn open, and I could see ragged pink and red flesh poking out. It was a huge gash, perhaps as big as a five-year-old's kneecap. I only saw it for a moment, but the image imprinted itself onto my mind, and I can see his poor broken body whenever I close my eyes. I whipped around, screaming, and ran into the living room, where my parents and sister sprang to their feet while the show Shark Tank blared from the tv. I was in tears, and I had a hard time telling my family what had happened. Eventually I got these two words out: Gerbils, Gerbite. My dad rushed in while my mother tried to comfort me and my sister just sat there, staring at me blankly. Apon inspection from my dad, he figured that my beloved, playful gerbil died of natural causes, but that Speedy, with a brain the size a sunflower seed, did what gerbils do and gnawed on his lifeless brother. We buried Gerbite out in the backyard, and I cried the rest of the night. I will ever again see my adorable little Gerbite running up to the front of the cage, wondering if I have any treats for him. Never again will I feel his warm, fragile little body in my hands. Never again will I see him running on his wheel. I swear I'm tearing up as I'm writing this. I miss him so very much. At least there's still Speedy. I haven't lost a pet since Medea, my cat who died when I was very young, so I am unused to this kind of pain. I feel as if I am responable for Gerbite's death; that if I hadn't have gone to my friend's sleepover he might still be alive. But I know that that's not true, though I cannot help but feel as if it is. Goodbye and good night, Squirrelflight. I loved you so much, and I miss you incredibly.

Anyway, as always comments and critique are welcomed.

Edit;; In the book Where the Red Fern Grows there are two dogs: Old Dan and Little Anne. They're littermates. When Old Dan is killed by a cougar, Little Anne can't go on living without him, so she drags herself to his grave and dies. I believe that this very same thing is happening to Gerbite's brother, Speedy. Speedy is horribly depressed. He usually just sits in a corner sadly, and he has stopped eating. Even when I offer him a treat he turns away, so I'm worried that his time is coming soon. :'c
Last edited by snowykay on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

signature wip
snowykay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: R.I.P. Squirrelflight "Gerbite"

Postby GlitchTheWolf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm

I am sorry for your loss :( . I have lost several of my pets (most of them were my hamsters through out the years) , inculding my beloved dog Penny.
GlitchTheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowykay » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Thank you, and I'm sorry about your pets. :c I have lost three cats, a few hermit crabs, a fish, and a dog, but they were all long ago.

signature wip
snowykay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GlitchTheWolf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Same with my hamsters, I remimber when my mom put my sister`s hamster (he was a boy named Dash because of all of his escape tactics and for always magically showing up in my room.) in my first girl hamster`s cage (her name was Cupcake) by accident. I went into my room to get Cupcake, when I got to her cage I saw Cupcake chasing Dash around her cage as if trying to tell him this was her territory. I gently picked up Dash and checked to see if there where any inguries; surprisingly there were none except for a small hole in his ear which healed quickly(I still feel bad for the little guy he was beat up by a girl, and I find it ironic.). Cupcake however, had no inguries.

The most recent hamster I have is Stephano. Here`s a picture of him playing in a house I made for him in Foundations of Technology http://glitchthewolf.deviantart.com/#/d5rws2z
GlitchTheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowykay » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah, I have a friend who owns a ton of gerbils, and she had to seperate them because they would all chase each other around and attack each other.

Aw, how adorable! I remember a while ago (in 2009 or 2010) my friend and I made a maze out of a cardboard box as an experiment for the sccience fair to see if her rats or my gerbils could get to the end faster. The gerbils won by far, because her rats decided not to try and they just sat there. I remember that Gerbite cheated and climbed up to the top of the maze and followed the pieces of cardboard (jumping over the spaces where he was supposed to be in) until he got to the treats at the end.

signature wip
snowykay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GlitchTheWolf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks :) and cool Stephano would just do the same but try to escape. xD
GlitchTheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowykay » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 am

lol, yeah, that's what Gerbite tried to do at first, but then he saw the treats and decided that he would get the food first.

signature wip
snowykay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GlitchTheWolf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 pm

lol xD
GlitchTheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby inactive20000009 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Oh no </3 I remember how it was when I lost my hamster, I know how it is. It will get better, I'm so sorry :c It's the real downside of owning a rodent... they just don't live as long as (I think) they deserve to.
inactive20000009

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby P0CKETKNIFE » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I had a gerbil I nammed Fluffball since he was so fluffy and I nammed his brother Dokota. Long story short Fluffball had Tyzzer's Desease. He died a slow painful death and I watched the whole thing. He had a siezure and died in the palm of my hand. It was tragic and his brother doesn't act the same way he used to...

lee artist he/him + adult
    ► I've been an active user on
    CS through a good number of
    years, but nowadays I tend to
    keep to myself and check in
    when I have the time. I'll be on
    artfight this year
    -- team vampire!!

mods made me remove my links lmao / credit

P0CKETKNIFE

My pets
My items