Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Through Fire and Ashes by Schneemaehne

Artist Schneemaehne [gallery]
Time spent 4 hours, 52 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
27 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Through Fire and Ashes

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun May 02, 2010 5:22 am

You will need the heart of a lion to climb up the mountians in the northern wastelands. It is cold there and the storm never sleeps. The villages are small and artless, little bird's nests on the steep hillsides. The people there are shy and they dislike strangers. Be on your guard or you will wake up with a dagger in your back.
It's not a good place to live. The summer is short and the fields are dead. Only the most frugal animals are able to live there. But it's not only the winter, not only the snow or the biting cold that makes the people shiver and fearful. It's the fact that the hunters are living on the top of the mountains.
You don't know what the hunters are? Mark my words, you don't want to find out. They are stray, feral men. They are not hunting deers, nor wolves or bears - they are hunting deamons.
In the coldest winter nights you can hear them, blowing their strange horns and shouting alien words. If a child is able to use spiritual energy and you leave it alone in such a night, you will not find it again. They will take it with them, making them one of theit combatants and never let them go back. The live of a hunter is pretty short, most of them die in battle. The scars and bandages they wear, they keep them like medals.
How you can see that a person is a hunter? That's rather easy. Look at their eyes. Their mounts are big deamons, tamed by magic and the volition of its rider. A hunter shares his or her soul with the mount, so the eyes of them are red like an deamons.
Don't go up there to see one of them. Too many people who have done this did never come back. You will not see them anyways. The only trace they left are footprints and bloodspills on the ground. Nothing more.

The text is more or less finished now - if you like to make a improved version, send me a PM! I know that my english is not the best.^.^

Thanks to whoever disarranged this into intermediate - I see this as a honor^^
Last edited by Schneemaehne on Mon May 03, 2010 5:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
My DeviantArt
Avatar and signature sketch made by myself, no stealing or Princess Stabbity will get you.
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Through Fire and Ashes WIP

Postby PolarAzulTigris » Sun May 02, 2010 5:35 am

I love it so far, the only thing that may concern your rider are the under straps, normally on a dog/feline a harness normally connects at a ring on the chest, which connects to a strap that goes do the middle of the chest than wraps back up from where the legs are. Otherwise they'd wiggle free or get entangled in it. Don't much understand the slack to the ones to the back of the tail either.. I would figure that would be taut.

Either way I enjoy just looking at it. Can't wait to see the finished picture. =3
Not on CS that much these days butyou can find me on Deviantart and Discord.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Deviantart|Furaffinity
Ancient Whelkon Adoptables
PolarAzulTigris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun May 02, 2010 5:54 am

PolarAzulTigris wrote:I love it so far, the only thing that may concern your rider are the under straps, normally on a dog/feline a harness normally connects at a ring on the chest, which connects to a strap that goes do the middle of the chest than wraps back up from where the legs are. Otherwise they'd wiggle free or get entangled in it. Don't much understand the slack to the ones to the back of the tail either.. I would figure that would be taut.

Either way I enjoy just looking at it. Can't wait to see the finished picture. =3

Hi there,
I wished I could give you some good answers for spending so much thoughts about this picture. I can just be honest and admit that I spent to less time on the saddle and stuff. I just tried to make it in a way that constrains the body movement of the canine not completely and that the saddle is not able to slide too much forward and backward. I will try to make some things better, thank you. But I must admit, too, that I can't understand all the points you gave. (Maybe because of my bad english.) What do you mean with the slack to the ones to the back of the tail? This little straps around the horns?
(And some straps and laces are just for the look. The whole saddlery was planed much more detailed, ornated and kinda flaunted, too. But I was not able to do this in ChibiPaint because of the limited resolution)

Big thanks again for looking this close.^^
My DeviantArt
Avatar and signature sketch made by myself, no stealing or Princess Stabbity will get you.
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keke! » Sun May 02, 2010 6:49 am

Why is this in Beginner's Oekaki? That's where I belong, not you!

Click to make Keitown grow! No trick, just a small city that I would like to become a little bigger n_n!
Keke!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun May 02, 2010 7:00 am

Because an unfinished picture should not be in Intermediate. It's a place for good artists, looking for fair critizism. And even if I'm really happy about the wonderful tipps from PolarAzulTigris, I was not looking for critzism. I'm just trying to blow that dumb art-block away^^
My DeviantArt
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 am

So, uploaded the "next" step for all who are interested^^
My DeviantArt
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PolarAzulTigris » Sun May 02, 2010 8:49 am

Sorry for being unclear, I tend to do that. Well how its rounded to the spikes in the back, it shows perhaps lack. Unless they're metal rings, then I could understand.

As far as the harness goes. =3
http://www.k9-crazy.com/blog/2005/july/29/x-back.jpg
http://www.marnasmenagerie.com/Images/d ... rnalol.jpg
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/Xbckharn.jpg
http://www.realdog.co.nz/images/x-back.jpg

=D Didn't mean to critic really but I guess I'm really into the picture. XD I really love the coloring you've done so far!
Deviantart|Furaffinity
PolarAzulTigris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 am

PolarAzulTigris wrote:Sorry for being unclear, I tend to do that. Well how its rounded to the spikes in the back, it shows perhaps lack. Unless they're metal rings, then I could understand.

As far as the harness goes. =3
http://www.k9-crazy.com/blog/2005/july/29/x-back.jpg
http://www.marnasmenagerie.com/Images/d ... rnalol.jpg
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/Xbckharn.jpg
http://www.realdog.co.nz/images/x-back.jpg

=D Didn't mean to critic really but I guess I'm really into the picture. XD I really love the coloring you've done so far!

Ah, thank you!
Yes, it's rather lack, but it's just more or less to avert that the lac can slit up when he jumps and runs And it is a kind of metal, yes^^
And thanks for all the picture^^ I will defenitly keep this in mind the next time, now I'm just too lazy to remake that. Are you doing sledge dog races or something? Cause you seemed very well informed to me.

And I like it when people critic. That means. that they have looked at the picture more than just two seconds^^ Thank you.
My DeviantArt
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PolarAzulTigris » Sun May 02, 2010 9:15 am

Ah very cool. =3 Its fine, I wouldn't want to remake something I spent a while on either. Guess I can mark that up to being lazy as well.

Well I don't dog race myself, though I've had to buy the harnesses for two of my dogs before. Otherwise they'd get into too much stuff XD and they'd get off their leash. Two huskies in fact. =3

True enough, Thank you for the insight on that. I can't wait to see the final image. =D
Deviantart|Furaffinity
PolarAzulTigris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schneemaehne » Sun May 02, 2010 9:40 am

That's sounds nice^^ Huskies are wonderful dogs...

So, it's finished. I'm not completely satisfied with it but I like the overall view^^
My DeviantArt
Schneemaehne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me